The Student Room Group

Attending low ranked university for Aerospace Engineering? Sheffield Hallam

-snip-
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Well you have a few options...

You can go onto UCAS and use the "Adjustment" feature - It's like clearing, but it's for when you excel and over-achieve what your first choice wanted, so you can pick a better university to go to. It's on UCAS Track, and the link to the main page discussing it can be found HERE

Or you can defer your entry and go on a gap year - I know a few people are. Just be sure that the 2013 grade requirements haven't shot up. You can check online now with most universities and they will have it posted for 2013. I know for my course, Mechanical Engineering, I was very lucky to get in with AS maths - Next year, they're wanting A2 maths.

Failing that, you can still go to a lesser university. My plan of action is to go to a "lesser" university, in this case, Coventry (MMU Manchester was my back up). It's a good university, I am very happy to be going there, but it certainly doesn't have the same reputation as places like Cambridge! That said, I wouldn't have lasted a single year at Cambridge... Their standard would be too high, but Coventry/MMU have great facilities for people who aren't top scorers when it comes to math, so the extra tuition and things like that make it a perfect choice for me. After I get my bachelors, I am going to apply to a really nice university (like University of Manchester for instance) and do my masters degree there. It'll help towards becoming accredited in the future (Incorporated or Chartered status). In which case, they'll see that I've gone to a nice university and have earnt a solid degree.

I have a friend who went to Coventry and did some sort of vehicle engineering - He's now working for JCB as an engineer and strutural analyst. He's doing well for himself, and he only did the bachelors degree. In a few years, they'll start to look more at what your portfolio has been (the projects you have worked on, etc) and less at the university. The good thing about engineering is that the accreditation (iMechE, etc) means that pretty much every university in Europe is teaching things the same way for engineering... So in theory they should all be fairly equal. Of course, elite universities are better, but a lesser university doesn't mean you're out of the game. Get a good degree, work hard and start applying for internships (maybe do an industrial year out if you can) and just build up your career. That's what I'm doing anyway!
Reply 2
Will going to Sheffield Hallam for my course still effect my future job prospects through? Is a degree a degree or does name really matter?
Its more important what degree you come out with than where you attended in most cases.
Reply 4
Original post by ForensicGeek
Its more important what degree you come out with than where you attended in most cases.

Awesome, would it be good practice to secure my BEng at Hallam then see if I could pursue a Masters at a different institute? Or would it not matter as long as I score First or 2:1 at Hallam
Original post by vironz
Awesome, would it be good practice to secure my BEng at Hallam then see if I could pursue a Masters at a different institute? Or would it not matter as long as I score First or 2:1 at Hallam

If you want you could pursue your masters at another institute. You will know soon if you like Hallam enough that you would want to continue your masters there.

My first comment was just a general statement though and I'm not currently at university myself.
It seems like the university you go to doesn't matter to much except in the case of Oxbridge and a couple of others really.
Reply 6
Original post by vironz
Hello,

I scored well in my college results (Extended Diploma in Aerospace Engineering with D*DD (distinctions)) but didn't apply for universities that would have better fit grades (mostly because of my poor lecturers who where not able to give me advice on the best universities for my course, therefore I applied for a bunch of H414 courses such as Sheffield Hallam) but now its too late to go back and apply for different universities?

I ended up placing my Firm choice on Sheffield Hallam for a MEng in Aerospace Engineering which entry requirements were still quite high-ish (at DDM) but its still not highly ranked, I've been accepted, now im attending a 4yr course there, but im worried ive made the wrong choice and my prospectus for a job in later life is not that great, no matter of final grade in the degree

If I perform well in my degree at Sheffield Hallam does it still mean I have a good career prospects? Does institute name that big of a deal anymore? Should I just get my BEng (or MEng then go for PhD) at the best level I can, then reapply for a higher ranked university?

Whats your advice, stories?

How is Sheffield Hallam? I've applied for aerospace engineering however I don't think the university is great. what was your experience like? I want to change universities myself because I got a (D*DD) which is way higher than what they were asking. The only reason I chose it was because they claimed they had good links in industry.
Reply 7
Original post by Johngrey
How is Sheffield Hallam? I've applied for aerospace engineering however I don't think the university is great. what was your experience like? I want to change universities myself because I got a (D*DD) which is way higher than what they were asking. The only reason I chose it was because they claimed they had good links in industry.

Sheffield Hallam is great in both facilities, students and staff (although some of the lectures of the latter are a bit iffy, especially if your not very good in the specific module) but if you struggle the likelihood is that someone else is finding the same bit hard. I often stayed up till 3/4am completing assignments in the library with my classmates.

I also got D*DD in an Extended Diploma in Aerospace Engineering. They have good links into the industry and the future is always touched on throughout the year (you will be doing a good mix of hands on work but its mostly lectures in your first semester). My first choice was also higher up, but because of my qualification type I was pushed down the pile and ultimately declined when it changed to my interview stage.

However league tables mean squat in Engineering (its the accreditation that matters within any type of Engineering and the Aerospace course has a CEng program which makes you a charted engineer when you complete your degree).

The modules I would tell you to prepare for would certainly be physics and electronics (the first exam for physics at the end of your second semester effectively decides who is cut out for the degree) as physics is primarily the major component throughout the years (second semester starts with Aerodynamics which is hard).

I personally nailed all the coursework and struggled with a couple of the exams a little.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by vironz
Sheffield Hallam is great in both facilities, students and staff (although some of the lectures of the latter are a bit iffy, especially if your not very good in the specific module) but if you struggle the likelihood is that someone else is finding the same bit hard. I often stayed up till 3/4am completing assignments in the library with my classmates.

I also got D*DD in an Extended Diploma in Aerospace Engineering. They have good links into the industry and the future is always touched on throughout the year (you will be doing a good mix of hands on work but its mostly lectures in your first semester). My first choice was also higher up, but because of my qualification type I was pushed down the pile and ultimately declined when it changed to my interview stage.

However league tables mean squat in Engineering (its the accreditation that matters within any type of Engineering and the Aerospace course has a CEng program which makes you a charted engineer when you complete your degree).

The modules I would tell you to prepare for would certainly be physics and electronics (the first exam for physics at the end of your second semester effectively decides who is cut out for the degree) as physics is primarily the major component throughout the years (second semester starts with Aerodynamics which is hard).

I personally nailed all the coursework and struggled with a couple of the exams a little.

What books would you recommend for the physics and electronics. I personally was put off from electronics from college. My maths tutor did say touch up on my maths before I start but I don't know what area of maths. vectors and matrices? integration differentiation? calculus?. What year are you in at the moment? I originally chose automotive engineering however I changed it to aerospace. Are the aeronautical students in the same class or are they separate from aerospace students, I'm asking because I might change it to that. Sorry for the questions but I'm simply nervous. Before you start the actual course do they brush up on the maths that are going to be used or do they expect you to know most of the maths they're going to teach?
Reply 9
Original post by Johngrey
What books would you recommend for the physics and electronics. I personally was put off from electronics from college. My maths tutor did say touch up on my maths before I start but I don't know what area of maths. vectors and matrices? integration differentiation? calculus?. What year are you in at the moment? I originally chose automotive engineering however I changed it to aerospace. Are the aeronautical students in the same class or are they separate from aerospace students, I'm asking because I might change it to that. Sorry for the questions but I'm simply nervous. Before you start the actual course do they brush up on the maths that are going to be used or do they expect you to know most of the maths they're going to teach?

Books; Engineering Mechanics Statics by Hibbeler is a must and even any AQA/A-level physics book will get you through your first semester (maybe even beyond).

Maths is relatively simple in your first year (its Engineering Mathematics) you will be starting from basic algebra and they will go into very detailed as its gets, you will do differentiation, calcus, matrix's, matrices and most math you can think of. However I wouldn't worry the lectures are great, you will be scheduled a tutorial lesson for maths (with a tutor present to help the class with parts they are stuck on). You will do a mathematics assessment on your first day (unmarked, ungraded) it is just to let you know what you need to brush up on.

Electronics is difficult but all the information is within the lecture notes (at least it was for us) then in the examination prep material closer to the end of the semesters.

I'm on my 2nd year now but studying a different degree for matter of personal reasons and beyond (mostly the future and job I want to be aiming for and the internship that it entails).

Some classes will consist of a mixture of all students across the Engineering (ACES) faculty where as others may consist of your classmates (usual the students present within your tutor groups). As far as I'm aware Aerospace and Aeronautical engineering have different module leaders and they will be separated apart from the lectures across Engineering.

Your expected to at least have a basic concept of A level mathematics but anything your weak on you can easily zone in on and brush yourself up on (there are also Math Help groups every week, two days a week) where you can speak to Mathematics Professors/Lecturers/Tutors who will do everything they can to help you.

It's alright, I was nervous. Everyone who is starting their first year of University will likely be nervous but once you move into your flat, meet your flatmates and enjoy freshers you will be hooked especially when your course starts etc.

Sorry for any typos its pretty late haha.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Hey! I'm going to Hallam to do Electrical/Electronic Engineering and am in a similar boat, getting way above the entry grades! (D*D*D*)

So glad to hear they cover all mathematics again, as I found BTEC maths to be quite poor really and didn't feel it has me at the standard needed to be a quality engineer!

What best advice would you give to look into or research before starting in September?

Thanks

Stuart

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by vironz
Books; Engineering Mechanics Statics by Hibbeler is a must and even any AQA/A-level physics book will get you through your first semester (maybe even beyond).

Maths is relatively simple in your first year (its Engineering Mathematics) you will be starting from basic algebra and they will go into very detailed as its gets, you will do differentiation, calcus, matrix's, matrices and most math you can think of. However I wouldn't worry the lectures are great, you will be scheduled a tutorial lesson for maths (with a tutor present to help the class with parts they are stuck on). You will do a mathematics assessment on your first day (unmarked, ungraded) it is just to let you know what you need to brush up on.

Electronics is difficult but all the information is within the lecture notes (at least it was for us) then in the examination prep material closer to the end of the semesters.

I'm on my 2nd year now but studying a different degree for matter of personal reasons and beyond (mostly the future and job I want to be aiming for and the internship that it entails).

Some classes will consist of a mixture of all students across the Engineering (ACES) faculty where as others may consist of your classmates (usual the students present within your tutor groups). As far as I'm aware Aerospace and Aeronautical engineering have different module leaders and they will be separated apart from the lectures across Engineering.

Your expected to at least have a basic concept of A level mathematics but anything your weak on you can easily zone in on and brush yourself up on (there are also Math Help groups every week, two days a week) where you can speak to Mathematics Professors/Lecturers/Tutors who will do everything they can to help you.

It's alright, I was nervous. Everyone who is starting their first year of University will likely be nervous but once you move into your flat, meet your flatmates and enjoy freshers you will be hooked especially when your course starts etc.

Sorry for any typos its pretty late haha.

I know I must be boring you with all these questions but bare with me. Other universities that have been doing engineering courses for a lot of years have past papers that I think, every five years they have the same questions or very similar. Is this the case with Sheffield Hallam aswell?. One last thing, would you recommend aerospace or aeronautical engineering. At this moment in time I still need to change my course.
Reply 12
It's no problem mate. Yes, Sheffield Hallam have past papers for your exams however not many as the Aerospace course is relatively new to Sheffield Hallam still. I remember their being only one previous years test papers available for my course (when you attend they will be two) however they give you plenty of example questions which are related to the method that you will need to learn.

It entirely depends on what you like doing. The course are nigh on the same syllabus likely - I'm unsure if Aeronautical covers more avionic systems than the aerospace course. But both are pretty similar. Just look at the prospectus/modules for each degree and look at the differences.

Biggest tip for starting in September? Brush up on your A-level maths, the rest will become apparant. If your good at maths then your likely good at other modules in the first year - maths is a major component of Aerospace Engineering (as you would expect).
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest