The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Come results day I will probably get 3 As at Higher and an A at Int. 2 (yes I'm confident) yet I will be doing a HnD at college instead of attending sixth year. Anyone else on the same boat because I feel nobody else who gets good results ever goes the college route.
Original post by xoJennyox
I guess so but Int 2's are slightly more similar to Higher and more demanding than than SG's. I mean for something like History, what you learn and the skills you acquire do not prepare you very well for Higher. And even more so since Higher is only for one year whilst SG's and Int 2's are over 3rd and 4th year.

The subject which is the most difficult at Higher is English which is evidenced by the lowest grade boundaries and A grade pass rates out of all of the subjects. Doing well at Int 2 English will not mean that you will even pass Higher English!

Furthermore if you want high A's then you cannot coast. Coasting may only bring you a C or B at the most.

Yes, I think I agree with most of what you're saying. Having seen people move from a SG school to my school for S5 they definitely seemed to find a much bigger difference in the demands of the course.
Original post by Nessie162
I have a totally different opinion than most of you....
Highers on the other hand are far more interesting and make much more sense.
Honestly I think most people found that. Whereas highers are more demanding the courses are without a doubt more interesting and informative.
I mostly agree with what Jenny has been saying. As long as you put the work in S5 can be a really good year. I think the people who get the best marks are the ones who go over and above what the class teachers set; reading ahead - especially nearer the end of the course when most subjects will be inevitably rushed, doing constant practise of past paper questions, doing the questions from the textbook your teacher hasn't set. Good luck with S5!
I am currently writing a Law essay run by a firm and not Oxbridge. I have yet to start the Philosophy one tehehe XD for Oriel College. I have the materials but I don't like the wording of the questions so I might just pass. St Peter's (Oxford) have a similar question but the deadline is in September so I may enter that one instead. I much rather answer their titles for this year!

The Law essay which I am currently doing has a word limit of 1000 words which for me is not ideal. I have just written the intro and that has taken up around 135 words already. My focus will have to be extremely narrow :s-smilie:- such a headache! The question is quite a philosophical one so I am rather enjoying it. All I have done is the intro and I am just researching some key concepts, I don't think the essay itself needs to mention any law cases etc. It is just to show how well you can argue a stance :smile:.

I am currently trying to use fancy language but at the same time keeping it concise to allow space for me to argue.

And your title sounds very interesting: good luck with such an obscure topic :biggrin:. Where are you going to even start with your research?!

I just took a look at the Qs for the Oriel competition. Is it the what does morality have to do with happiness question? A few ideas come to mind, but it looks tricky. Only 1000 words. :eek: I was surprised at first, but I suppose they want to see if you can put forward an argument succinctly and concisely and it prevents rambling, of course. :tongue: What is the title of it? I think that's actually more challenging than having, say, a 2,000/3,000 word limit, as you have to select your evidence with great care and, as you say, have an extremely narrow focus. :tongue: I like using fancy language too...or trying to, at least.
Yeah, I thought it was quite an interesting title, and seeing as all our school essays have been more focused on specific events, this focuses more on historiography and the theoretical side of history and would be something new for me.
As for research, I have some ideas. I basically interpreted the question as stating that a history written by believers ultimately distorts our vision of the past, not giving us a true impression of past events. I think I'm going to discuss the bible, perhaps the emergence of atheism, events engendered by religious motives, and then focus on some contemporary things. I mean, those are just a few basic ideas, and I really haven't done a lot of research at all yet. Half of the stuff I mentioned probably won't even relate properly to the question. :colondollar: I also keep on thinking that my arguments are too simplistic and unsophisticated. :redface: I'll see where it takes me though. :smile:
Is anyone going to the university open days later this month? I'll be at Glasgow and Edinburgh open days :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4024
Original post by chaarlotte
Is anyone going to the university open days later this month? I'll be at Glasgow and Edinburgh open days :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have to book your place on them? I'll probably be at the Glasgow one.
I wanted to go to the St Andrews one in a couple of weeks but it's all booked up:frown:
Original post by skier16
Do you have to book your place on them? I'll probably be at the Glasgow one.
I wanted to go to the St Andrews one in a couple of weeks but it's all booked up:frown:

I have no idea sorry :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aay
She already has shot me, i did it a few weeks ago :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I made that fatal mistake too! :tongue:

SHE?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I just took a look at the Qs for the Oriel competition. Is it the what does morality have to do with happiness question? A few ideas come to mind, but it looks tricky. Only 1000 words. :eek: I was surprised at first, but I suppose they want to see if you can put forward an argument succinctly and concisely and it prevents rambling, of course. :tongue: What is the title of it? I think that's actually more challenging than having, say, a 2,000/3,000 word limit, as you have to select your evidence with great care and, as you say, have an extremely narrow focus. :tongue: I like using fancy language too...or trying to, at least.
Yeah, I thought it was quite an interesting title, and seeing as all our school essays have been more focused on specific events, this focuses more on historiography and the theoretical side of history and would be something new for me.
As for research, I have some ideas. I basically interpreted the question as stating that a history written by believers ultimately distorts our vision of the past, not giving us a true impression of past events. I think I'm going to discuss the bible, perhaps the emergence of atheism, events engendered by religious motives, and then focus on some contemporary things. I mean, those are just a few basic ideas, and I really haven't done a lot of research at all yet. Half of the stuff I mentioned probably won't even relate properly to the question. :colondollar: I also keep on thinking that my arguments are too simplistic and unsophisticated. :redface: I'll see where it takes me though. :smile:

I am not actually allowed to post the question on a public site...yes this is actually in the rules! I think it is to prevent cheating or "extra help" to keep the competition as fair as possible but the question is asking whether society's interests are more important than the rights on an individual. So basically you can use the utilitarian argument and Mill's principles but I am going to make the question more interesting and argue it from the other perspective that actually, the rights of an individual should come first. Most people will disagree but this will make my answer stand out and hopefully more successful among all the other entrants :smile:. I hope anyway!

It is just a little confusing since I have so many ideas and concepts in my head...I just cannot yet translate them into a linear and clear line of thought. So I am currently doing some more reading to allow my brain more time to organize everything. It is difficult to come up with an original yet strong argument. I don't want my essay to be too philosophical even though I will be arguing it using the basic philosophy of Law. I was speaking to someone here who studies Law at Cambridge and he told me that the markers, for the purpose of this competition, will not be interested in your academic knowledge of Law or Philosophical principles etc but rather how coherent and inventive you are. A challenge in itself since I have never written such essays.

I have my stance but I just need an argument! And a good one which I can express in 1000 words :biggrin:.

Wow you have really set yourself a challenge, but from what I can gather, it seems like you are more than able. Good luck and I hope you place in the competition. It may be good to have a brief chat with your teacher or someone in the History department at school about your argument when you have clearly thought of one. How many books do you plan to read for this essay?

It is so hard just to get started. I just deleted my intro today when I was speaking to that person. I realized I needed to be more clear and less of a fancy pants :smile:. I want to start fresh and original!
Reply 4028
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Yeah, I made that fatal mistake too! :tongue:

SHE?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No lol, I had just woke up, meant he :lol:
I am not actually allowed to post the question on a public site...yes this is actually in the rules! I think it is to prevent cheating or "extra help" to keep the competition as fair as possible but the question is asking whether society's interests are more important than the rights on an individual. So basically you can use the utilitarian argument and Mill's principles but I am going to make the question more interesting and argue it from the other perspective that actually, the rights of an individual should come first. Most people will disagree but this will make my answer stand out and hopefully more successful among all the other entrants :smile:. I hope anyway!

It is just a little confusing since I have so many ideas and concepts in my head...I just cannot yet translate them into a linear and clear line of thought. So I am currently doing some more reading to allow my brain more time to organize everything. It is difficult to come up with an original yet strong argument. I don't want my essay to be too philosophical even though I will be arguing it using the basic philosophy of Law. I was speaking to someone here who studies Law at Cambridge and he told me that the markers, for the purpose of this competition, will not be interested in your academic knowledge of Law or Philosophical principles etc but rather how coherent and inventive you are. A challenge in itself since I have never written such essays.

I have my stance but I just need an argument! And a good one which I can express in 1000 words :biggrin:.

Wow you have really set yourself a challenge, but from what I can gather, it seems like you are more than able. Good luck and I hope you place in the competition. It may be good to have a brief chat with your teacher or someone in the History department at school about your argument when you have clearly thought of one. How many books do you plan to read for this essay?

It is so hard just to get started. I just deleted my intro today when I was speaking to that person. I realized I needed to be more clear and less of a fancy pants :smile:. I want to start fresh and original!

Oh wow..that has made me slightly paranoid as well. :colondollar: I think it's good that you've taken an unconventional approach to the question, as that will get you noticed and if you can argue your case convincingly it will make you stand out. I so get what you mean about finding it hard to condense those ideas into a clear argument. I have some rather vague ideas floating around in my head, yet they're very much unformed. Perhaps just writing them down would help as they come into your head. Yeah, this is such a change from school essays, but very much a good one and it allows you to come up with something which doesn't have to adhere rigidly to the mark scheme and is formulaic.
There's a little voice in my head telling me that I'm being too over-ambitious with my essay choice and I really don't know whether I'll be able to pull it off. Nevertheless, I go back to school on the Thursday so I'd probably be able to pay a visit to the uni library during the week. I'll speak to my teacher on Friday (no history on Thursday) about it; I wouldn't want to come up with an argument without some assurance that it's not totally missed the point! There's no set number of books I intend to read; I've taken a cursory glance at google scholar and the like, but I really need a more comprehensive starting point for research, at a library. All the information on the internet is so scattered.
Hahaha, I'm so self-conscious about my into. One moment I think it sounds allright, the next it sounds like a piece of pretentious rubbish. :colondollar:
Original post by Aay
No lol, I had just woke up, meant he :lol:

Yeah...surreeeee :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4031
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Yeah...surreeeee :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im serious :L
Original post by Nessie162
What are your back up plans guys if you don't get the grades you need for uni?
I will probably apply to a Vet school abroad or do some other degree and apply as a graduate :s-smilie:

I used to be so passionate about having a career in Theatre. Now I'm going to apply for Psychology mainly, and colleges for Musical Theatre. So MT will be my back up :smile:.
Reply 4033
Original post by itsGrand131415
Haha looks like someone else will be attending this medicine thing on Monday

Im just planning to turn up in jeans and a hoodie/zipper...... i was told uniform etc isnt required.
So tomorrow morning I have to haul my a**e up to school just to collect my new timetable. They could've posted it...

Although I can't complain, I have a week off :tongue:
Original post by Aay
Im just planning to turn up in jeans and a hoodie/zipper...... i was told uniform etc isnt required.

Was told to wear something smart and to represent the school :s-smilie: Going with 3 other folks so hopefully it'll be good !
Reply 4036
Was told to wear something smart and to represent the school :s-smilie: Going with 3 other folks so hopefully it'll be good !

Ah, we got told we didnt have to wear uniform so Im turning up in in the usual haha
Reply 4037
Original post by Aay
Ah, we got told we didnt have to wear uniform so Im turning up in in the usual haha

We weren't told anything so I assumed it was uniform, think I'll have to ask the school on Friday when I pick up my timetable. Doesn't look like we'll be doing much on Thursday, we'll be attending the open day.
I don't start back properly until the 10th , induction on the 7th though :frown:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loads of people wear their uniforms to this thing. I wore trainers, trackies and a sports top and fell asleep in the middle of the lecture theatre. No one gives a **** what you wear except for the school that sends you - it's not as if the clinicians and academics are there looking for 16 year olds to be future research associates.

Latest

Trending

Trending