The Student Room Group

In dire need of assistance

there are several subjects/modules where i've missed an A grade overall by 1 to 4 marks (ums).

Sociology- missed A by 4 marks ( apparently got a C which brought my entire grade down. i am certain this is wrong as I've consistently got high A's)

Maths AS- missed A by 1 mark

Maths- missed by 4 marks ( which is due to previous AS) i got 239 UMS marks for AS and total of 250 for A2. this should add up to 489 which is comfortably in the A bracket. (480= A)

Physics AS- 1 mark from an A

1. which subjects should i get remarked (only can chose 2)
2. does having more than one paper from the same exam board remarked effect the remarking?
3. i've heard that some people are getting abnormal results from aqa exams, has anyone else experienced this, as i think this has been the case for sociology.

Maths and Sociology- AQA; Physics-Edexcel
thnx in advance
Original post by Mr_Rationalist
there are several subjects/modules where i've missed an A grade overall by 1 to 4 marks (ums).

Sociology- missed A by 4 marks ( apparently got a C which brought my entire grade down. i am certain this is wrong as I've consistently got high A's)

Maths AS- missed A by 1 mark

Maths- missed by 4 marks ( which is due to previous AS) i got 239 UMS marks for AS and total of 250 for A2. this should add up to 489 which is comfortably in the A bracket. (480= A)

Physics AS- 1 mark from an A

1. which subjects should i get remarked (only can chose 2)
2. does having more than one paper from the same exam board remarked effect the remarking?
3. i've heard that some people are getting abnormal results from aqa exams, has anyone else experienced this, as i think this has been the case for sociology.

Maths and Sociology- AQA; Physics-Edexcel
thnx in advance
Do you have a conditional offer that you've not currently achieved but that higher results could bring you within? If so, remarks in subjects that could allow you to meet that offer would be advisable over the others. Otherwise, it's important to consider which subjects you think that your result is most likely to be incorrect for, and how far by. Remember that marks can go down as well as up from remarks.

Having multiple papers remarked from the same exam board shouldn't pose any specific issues.
Original post by Haesights
1. remark the sociology and physics, I'm not sure why you want the maths remarked isn't anything over 480ums an A already?
2. no
3. I don't have any exams on AQA so can't comment on that-have you looked at the grade boundaries?

1. it should be 489 but i has come up as 476- 4 marks away
2. my thoughts on this is that if it were found, by an exam board, that in 2 instances a student's grade was marked incorrectly, and they requested a remark it would look bad on the competence of the exam board.

have you remarked before ( roughly how many times)?? what is your experience on remarking? do you find that your grades generally improve after getting it done??
plz reply. thnx
Original post by Illusionary
Do you have a conditional offer that you've not currently achieved but that higher results could bring you within? If so, remarks in subjects that could allow you to meet that offer would be advisable over the others. Otherwise, it's important to consider which subjects you think that your result is most likely to be incorrect for, and how far by. Remember that marks can go down as well as up from remarks.

Having multiple papers remarked from the same exam board shouldn't pose any specific issues.

first ques.: yes, so you think my A2 subjects should take precedence over my AS- even the physics?

have you remarked before?? what is your experience on remarking? do you find that your grades generally improve after getting it done ( i mean for you personally and ppl you personally know)??
plz reply
Original post by Mr_Rationalist
first ques.: yes, so you think my A2 subjects should take precedence over my AS- even the physics?

have you remarked before?? what is your experience on remarking? do you find that your grades generally improve after getting it done ( i mean for you personally and ppl you personally know)??
plz reply

I don't have personal experience of remarks, but I know the issues. Speak to your teachers if you're unsure. :smile:
Reply 5
Have you checked your separate UMS scores for each maths module? There most definitely shouldn't be any counting errors.

And generally, maths remarks are not very often useful. The answers are objective and each step of marking tends to be marked if present. I wouldn't be confident of gaining 4 marks in one module for maths.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest