The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got 3 A's in Accounting, Maths, and Further Maths but they were all fairly low; 80-81% I'm guessing. Would this have much effect on applying for Maths or are they not that harsh on UMS?
Reply 21
I'd like to apply for cambridge to study mathematics but I need an honest answer if you think I have a chance.
GCSE : 3A* 8A 2B 2C with school in special measures for the 5 years I was there
AS level grades received today: AAA with 100% UMS in two being maths and physical education. Other A was in sociology.
I am going to study as further maths beginning September.
I run for Wales in sprint hurdles so spend a lot of time training.
I have not done any extra curricular activities involving maths as there are no opportunities in my area. If you can think of any, north Wales, it would be helpful.
Thanks for the advice, want honest answers.
Reply 22
Original post by Prendah
I got 3 A's in Accounting, Maths, and Further Maths but they were all fairly low; 80-81% I'm guessing. Would this have much effect on applying for Maths or are they not that harsh on UMS?

Tricky - they are likely to be quite harsh since the standard of the candidates is so high, but that may well be enough to get you an interview. That said, if you got 80% at AS do you think you can get through STEP?
Reply 23
Original post by chloeaj95
I'd like to apply for cambridge to study mathematics but I need an honest answer if you think I have a chance.
GCSE : 3A* 8A 2B 2C with school in special measures for the 5 years I was there
AS level grades received today: AAA with 100% UMS in two being maths and physical education. Other A was in sociology.
I am going to study as further maths beginning September.
I run for Wales in sprint hurdles so spend a lot of time training.
I have not done any extra curricular activities involving maths as there are no opportunities in my area. If you can think of any, north Wales, it would be helpful.
Thanks for the advice, want honest answers.

Does your school do further maths normally? You may have to apply after doing AS further maths, though perhaps a mathmo can drop in and confirm.
AS
Bio a
Chem a
Maths a
Phy b
and A-2 maths B
All of my teachers are really disappointed with my maths and physics marks. Yesterday my head called me in for a meeting and told me that my maths paper(A-2)is going to get rechecked and if I agree, my physics AS will be too.

I'm feeling a little lost, and can't help but think that everyone is overreacting a little. Are these bad results? Should I get phy rechecked. I want to go into medicine and I know I'll need top grades for that but...:confused:

(I took CIE exams btw, *shudder*.)

I'd really appreciate some advice on this. Thanks and good luck
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by i_like_cheese
AS
Bio a
Chem a
Maths a
Phy b
and A-2 maths B
All of my teachers are really disappointed with my maths and physics marks. Yesterday my head called me in for a meeting and told me that my maths paper(A-2)is going to get rechecked and if I agree, my physics AS will be too.

I'm feeling a little lost, and can't help but think that everyone is overreacting a little. Are these bad results? Should I get phy rechecked. I want to go into medicine and I know I'll need top grades for that but...:confused:

(I took CIE exams btw, *shudder*.)

I'd really appreciate some advice on this. Thanks and good luck

No, they're not 'bad' marks and I can see why you're a little freaked out with your school's behaviour! On the other hand, every point will count for medicine and if your school is willing to support you in a remark, I'd let them get on with it, since you're lucky to have a school that's willing to get so involved. I'd sit back and let them get on with it! :smile:
Reply 26
Hi guys. I received results yesterday for the 4 AS subjects I have been studying this year: Maths, further maths, physics and German.

I'm considering applying for Maths next year. I've heard that when calculating this average that Cambridge take into account your 3 most relevant subjects when applying for a science degree, and they consider the average of all your maths and further maths modules as one subject. So does this mean that they will include German in my average too? Or will they consider double maths and physics to be sufficient for my average since those are the 3 key a levels and German is irrelevant?
Reply 27
Original post by Bobby129
Hi guys. I received results yesterday for the 4 AS subjects I have been studying this year: Maths, further maths, physics and German.

I'm considering applying for Maths next year. I've heard that when calculating this average that Cambridge take into account your 3 most relevant subjects when applying for a science degree, and they consider the average of all your maths and further maths modules as one subject. So does this mean that they will include German in my average too? Or will they consider double maths and physics to be sufficient for my average since those are the 3 key a levels and German is irrelevant?

Although Cambridge are increasingly helpful at telling us in detail about more and more aspects of the admissions process, this seems to be a question that lots of applicants are asking and that we don't have a precise answer to.

However, although I can't say what they'll do mathematically, in general they will probably not see German as very important to your maths application and I wouldn't worry too much about it.
AAAAB
A = chem, phys, bio and maths.
B=Further maths

Overall averaged 85% over the 5 subjects. Would it be instant rejection for medicine? I just want an interview :P
Reply 29
Original post by Little Wing
AAAAB
B=Further maths

Overall averaged 85% over the 5 subjects. Would it be instant rejection for medicine? I just want an interview :P

Hey, I was going to reply to your PM but may as well respond here - I'm no expert in medicine but I think that would get you an interview and there's no reason why you shouldn't apply. Incredible as it seems, I applied *without knowing what my UMS percentages were*, they're not the be all and end all. Make sure your other 4 choices are realistic and go for it.
I think I'm probably not good enough now, so this is just confirmation really so I can forget all about Cambridge maybe and focus my efforts elsewhere. I got AAAB for my AS (Bio, Chem, Maths, Englit respectively). I got 91% over my main three. Do I stand any sort of a chance for medicine, or is it just not worth applying?
Reply 31
Original post by AspiringGenius
I think I'm probably not good enough now, so this is just confirmation really so I can forget all about Cambridge maybe and focus my efforts elsewhere. I got AAAB for my AS (Bio, Chem, Maths, Englit respectively). I got 91% over my main three. Do I stand any sort of a chance for medicine, or is it just not worth applying?

There is no minimum UMS requirement for any subject (even medicine!) and while it is true that many successful applicants will have very high UMS, it is also true that not all do. An average of over 90% is good - very good even - and will almost certainly get you an interview, so I wouldn't say you should give up if you're confident of being able to get at least one A*.
Original post by Melz0r
Hey, I was going to reply to your PM but may as well respond here - I'm no expert in medicine but I think that would get you an interview and there's no reason why you shouldn't apply. Incredible as it seems, I applied *without knowing what my UMS percentages were*, they're not the be all and end all. Make sure your other 4 choices are realistic and go for it.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 33
I recieved my AS results yesterday. AAAA in German, maths, Biology and chemistry.
I only just managed an A in maths with 80% almost exactly, as one of my modules was 70%. I am going to retake this exam, but I'm wondering if there is any point applying to Cambridge now, as I want to do science (biological), and maths is a big part of it.
Also, I got 95-100% on my science exam modules, but in both practicals I got Bs. I still managed over 90% overall, so do you think this will affect my chances?

Thankyou.
Reply 34
Original post by lp386
Does your school do further maths normally? You may have to apply after doing AS further maths, though perhaps a mathmo can drop in and confirm.

It doesnt do further maths no, My maths teacher has agreed to help me do it after my as grades were 100% they figured I may have a shot at Cambridge wih further maths
Reply 35
Got my AS yesterday and were all As
Maths 93%(5 modules) with 100% in M1 and C3, and an average over 90% in C3 and C4
furthermaths(1 module) FP1 97%
Physics 86%
Chemistry 90%
(average of 90%)
for my Int-2 and standard grades(scottish systems) i got all As but english and german which i received 2 Bs in.
I am wanting to apply to engineering, but I'm a but nervous about the Bs i achieved in my Int-2s.
would cambridge ignore those B because they are languages and have nothing to do with engineering?
thank you
Reply 36
Original post by AspiringGenius

[QUOTE=Originally Posted by Little Wing
AAAAB
B=Further maths

Overall averaged 85% over the 5 subjects. Would it be instant rejection for medicine? I just want an interview :

If you look at this presentation it shows the strength of the field for medicine in 2010:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/presentations/teachersforum2010.pdf

6 people got in with UMS<85% average. Some of those will have had "special circumstances". Quite a few more got in with 90%. Whilst the accent on UMS is probably increasing there is always room to demonstrate that you are worth an offer. This is especially true if your education or background is disadvantaged.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Melz0r
There is no minimum UMS requirement for any subject (even medicine!) and while it is true that many successful applicants will have very high UMS, it is also true that not all do. An average of over 90% is good - very good even - and will almost certainly get you an interview, so I wouldn't say you should give up if you're confident of being able to get at least one A*.

See reply to Aspiring Genius
Reply 38
Original post by lp386
Tricky - they are likely to be quite harsh since the standard of the candidates is so high, but that may well be enough to get you an interview. That said, if you got 80% at AS do you think you can get through STEP?

It was just S1 and M1 that brought down my UMS scores, but I haven't really looked at STEP yet.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ZTE-BLADE
Original post by Colmans
If you look at this presentation it shows the strength of the field for medicine in 2010:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/presentations/teachersforum2010.pdf

6 people got in with UMS<85% average. Some of those will have had "special circumstances". Quite a few more got in with 90%. Whilst the accent on UMS is probably increasing there is always room to demonstrate that you are worth an offer. This is especially true if your education or background is disadvantaged.

Thankyou. Cambridge is somewhe to consider, opts just a shame about English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending