The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Joiner
What do you think though?

I already said.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3626811&p=59704507#post59704507

And now you've said your UMS is 93 - so that's obviously fine for an interview. Beyond that it's up to you and the admissions staff :wink:
Would 10A* gcse, AAAA at AS in Maths Econ Geography and French (93 UMS average) and predicted A*A*A put me in with a chance for Economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know they are good enough, just another showing off my grades post
Would 10A* gcse, AAAA at AS in Maths Econ Geography and French (93 UMS average) and predicted A*A*A put me in with a chance for Economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I had already replied to this, have you posted elsewhere?
Your main problem is lack of FM. So your chances will depend a little on how good your maths is and hopefully it is your highest UMS not your lowest.

Average UMS for Economics offers is around 96% but you are virtually guaranteed an interview at 93% so yes you are "in with a chance". We just can't predict how good a chance in a subject with a roughly 15% success rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Willnewman234
You know they are good enough, just another showing off my grades post

If the poster knows that 90% of offers go to those with FM and that his UMS are below average for the subject it is not such an unreasonable question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5664
GCSE:2A*3A3B3C
AS:BBCC
A2:tbc

slay me hahaha
Original post by z33
GCSE:2A*3A3B3C
AS:BBCC
A2:tbc

slay me hahaha

It will depend on the tbc, and therefore a post-A2 application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5666
Original post by jneill
It will depend on the tbc, and therefore a post-A2 application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait so you're saying that there's a legitimate chance that i could ACTUALLY get into cambridge?

i thought my **** gcses would rule me out!
Original post by z33
wait so you're saying that there's a legitimate chance that i could ACTUALLY get into cambridge?

i thought my **** gcses would rule me out!

Nope. Depending on your intended course (i'd not recommend Medicine for example...) your GCSEs are fine. Cambridge is most concerned by your most recent public exam results. If you are on target for, or achieve (or preferably exceed) the typical offer then you are in with a chance.

Typical offers are A*AA for arts/humanities and A*A*A for sciences.
Reply 5668
Original post by jneill
Nope. Depending on your intended course (i'd not recommend Medicine for example...) your GCSEs are fine. Cambridge is most concerned by your most recent public exam results. If you are on target for, or achieve (or preferably exceed) the typical offer then you are in with a chance.

Typical offers are A*AA for arts/humanities and A*A*A for sciences.

Hmmm pretty cool! Doesn't seem so impossible anymore :tongue:

What is the average UMS of a music applicant and psychology applicant?
Hey, I'm thinking about doing NatSci/maths, obviously getting good AS grades, is important, but would this be okay?

GCSE's ~ 9 A*(including an A^ in further maths gcse)
4A's

AS prediction ~ 4A's in physics, chemistry, maths, and further maths (I think I'll get 3 A's and a B)

Also, what kind of super curriculars are vaguely related?

Thanks!!
Original post by Vicky628
Hey, I'm thinking about doing NatSci/maths, obviously getting good AS grades, is important, but would this be okay?

GCSE's ~ 9 A*(including an A^ in further maths gcse)
4A's

AS prediction ~ 4A's in physics, chemistry, maths, and further maths (I think I'll get 3 A's and a B)

Also, what kind of super curriculars are vaguely related?

Thanks!!

They'll take your SUMS (average UMS of your best 3 sciences) so if you get high percentages in the 3 you think you'll get an A in (aim for about 95%) then that B won't matter too much, but still try for an A.

Good supercurriculars would include finding a research placement, and none of those crappy 2-day/week-long placements where all you do is stand about and see what a lab looks like. Go on your local university's website and find out about some of the research done by lecturers in your desired area, and send an email to the lecturer asking if they could let you experience some lab research and possibly help out in the lab.
Original post by not you
They'll take your SUMS (average UMS of your best 3 sciences) so if you get high percentages in the 3 you think you'll get an A in (aim for about 95%) then that B won't matter too much, but still try for an A.

Good supercurriculars would include finding a research placement, and none of those crappy 2-day/week-long placements where all you do is stand about and see what a lab looks like. Go on your local university's website and find out about some of the research done by lecturers in your desired area, and send an email to the lecturer asking if they could let you experience some lab research and possibly help out in the lab.

It will matter more if the B is in Further Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
I thought I had already replied to this, have you posted elsewhere?
Your main problem is lack of FM. So your chances will depend a little on how good your maths is and hopefully it is your highest UMS not your lowest.

Average UMS for Economics offers is around 96% but you are virtually guaranteed an interview at 93% so yes you are "in with a chance". We just can't predict how good a chance in a subject with a roughly 15% success rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

just out of interest, if you're only starting AS further maths this year, does Cambridge give out A*AA + A(AS fm) offers like LSE or would it just be the standard A*AA
Original post by thesmallman
just out of interest, if you're only starting AS further maths this year, does Cambridge give out A*AA + A(AS fm) offers like LSE or would it just be the standard A*AA

I don't know, but I think it is quite likely that some would. There is some evidence that colleges are moving towards more A*A*A offers for Economics-Trinity (if I remember which college correctly) says so on its website.
Either way you will need to seem capable of A in FM to get an offer.
Original post by Colmans
I don't know, but I think it is quite likely that some would. There is some evidence that colleges are moving towards more A*A*A offers for Economics-Trinity (if I remember which college correctly) says so on its website.

thanks a lot!! One last question:

I know mathematical ability is really important fro the course, so I'm guessing I'll be asked some maths questions in the interview.

What sort of maths topics do u think would be a good idea to have a look at ? At the moment I am looking at calculus in profit maximation, marginal cost functions etc

Thanks
Original post by Colmans

yes Trinity says A*A*A

And interestingly the department itself says the same now.

http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/guide.pdf

"What sort of GCSE and AS grades should I have before applying?
There are around 7 applicants for every entering student, so the competition for admission inEconomics at Cambridge is strong. The typical successful applicant has at least 6 A* grades at GCSEand high A grades for AS level Mathematics and Economics (with average scores of at least 90%),and is taking 4 subjects at A level, including Further Mathematics.
If you are offered a place at Cambridge, this will usually be conditional on your achieving grades of at least A*A*A in your A-levels with an A* for Maths (or 776 at Higher Level for IB with a 7 for Maths), although offers may differ depending on the College you apply to. "
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thesmallman
thanks a lot!! One last question:

I know mathematical ability is really important fro the course, so I'm guessing I'll be asked some maths questions in the interview.

What sort of maths topics do u think would be a good idea to have a look at ? At the moment I am looking at calculus in profit maximation, marginal cost functions etc

Thanks

One of the rules of TSR to be fair to other applicants is not to give out too much in the way of interview questions. You are not far off with your suggestions, being able to draw graph functions and apply maths to Economic data is the basis. Wider reading about economic and business data in a good newspaper or the Economist or blogs can help with understanding what they are looking for.
http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/admissions/sample-maths-questions.pdf Try these.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
yes Trinity says A*A*A

And interestingly the department itself says the same now.

http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/guide.pdf

"What sort of GCSE and AS grades should I have before applying?
There are around 7 applicants for every entering student, so the competition for admission inEconomics at Cambridge is strong. The typical successful applicant has at least 6 A* grades at GCSEand high A grades for AS level Mathematics and Economics (with average scores of at least 90%),and is taking 4 subjects at A level, including Further Mathematics.
If you are offered a place at Cambridge, this will usually be conditional on your achieving grades of at least A*A*A in your A-levels with an A* for Maths (or 776 at Higher Level for IB with a 7 for Maths), although offers may differ depending on the College you apply to."

Yes, also St Johns say A*A*A. Interestingly Pembroke say those sitting Linear A levels (seemingly for any course) will have a minimum A*A*A offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending