The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tim1249
Hi all,

Hope results day went well for anyone expecting results.

I have just received my AS results with AAAAB, with 99% in Spanish, 98% in French, 85% in Maths, 82% in Italian and 79% in English. I am hoping to apply to Cambridge to study French and Spanish, and my results for those two subjects were obviously very good. However,I would like to know how much my chances would be affected by my B in English, as MML courses are obviously very literature based. I am actually very disappointed with my English result as I was expecting not only an A, but closer to 90%, and I am getting it remarked and will resit in January if needed.

Now I know they are not too keen on retakes, but they say they realise students can have bad days and don't mind retakes in one or two modules. I am also aware of the fact that arts and humanities applicants usually have an average of 90-95% in their top 3 AS subjects, and my top 3 AS resulta average out to 94%. Would this, as well as my really good results in the two subjects I wish to apply for, help to cancel out the B if it doesn't go up 2 UMS or whatever with the remark? The reason I did 5 ASs is that I did Italian outside the timetable, starting the GCSE last year and getting an A* in a year doing it outside the timetable and then starting the AS this year. I also got 11 A*s at GCSE.

I am really sorry for the long essay, and I am sure that there are loads of threads like this already, but I would love to know people's opinions on my results and Cambridge prospects as a result.

Thank you very much :smile:

That B is going to be problematic, as in there was a very very good chance that you would have got an interview before hand. However, I know quite a few people that have got an interview with not straight A's and the fact you have done 5 As levels will help, so I except you to get an interview at Cambridge, especially with the UMS points in Spanish and French.
Reply 61
DEFINITELY will get an interview. For a subjects like that where marking is not clear cut I don't think it will matter too much. There is a thread for this as someone has posted. But I don't think it will stunt you chances too much as they do ask for UMS marks when you fill in the FAQ on application. As the subject you want to do has good results then I don't think it will hurt to apply and you will be fine.
[QUOTE="Wing;39053529" Little="Little"]AAAAB
A = chem, phys, bio and maths.
B=Further maths

Overall averaged 85% over the 5 subjects. Would it be instant rejection for medicine? I just want an interview :P[/QUOTE

When did you starting revising before an exam? Will be helpful
[QUOTE="JamalAhmed;39068496"]
Original post by Little Wing
AAAAB
A = chem, phys, bio and maths.
B=Further maths

Overall averaged 85% over the 5 subjects. Would it be instant rejection for medicine? I just want an interview :P[/QUOTE

When did you starting revising before an exam? Will be helpful

About 2 weeks before each exam :frown: Regret nothing.
Reply 64
Hey everyone!

I want to apply for Law, I got 8 A*s, 1 A and 1 B for gcse and for AS :

German - 96%
Maths - 94%
French - 91%

Chemistry (dropping) - 82%

Is it worth a shot? UMS for the top 3 subjects averages at 94%
Reply 65
Original post by Colmans
Yes. if you really read around your subject and show serious interest.

Thanks, Colmans. So would you recommend me applying to King's? Or do you think it doesn't matter. I wonder anyhow why it is that King's gives out lower offers than the other colleges--surely it isn't down to the number of people applying, can you think of a reason why? That would also mean that people are more likely to achieve the grades stipulated, and so surely less offers are given out per place, does that make it harder to get into King's? Sorry if I'm overthinking this
Original post by Siena16
Hey everyone!

I want to apply for Law, I got 8 A*s, 1 A and 1 B for gcse and for AS :

German - 96%
Maths - 94%
French - 91%

Chemistry (dropping) - 82%

Is it worth a shot? UMS for the top 3 subjects averages at 94%

yes.
Reply 67
I have just received my AS results with AAAAB, with 99% in Spanish, 98% in French, 85% in Maths, 82% in Italian and 79% in English. I am hoping to apply to Cambridge to study French and Spanish, and my results for those two subjects were obviously very good. However,I would like to know how much my chances would be affected by my B in English, as MML courses are obviously very literature based. I am actually very disappointed with my English result as I was expecting not only an A, but closer to 90%, and I am getting it remarked and will resit in January if needed.Now I know they are not too keen on retakes, but they say they realise students can have bad days and don't mind retakes in one or two modules.

I am also aware of the fact that arts and humanities applicants usually have an average of 90-95% in their top 3 AS subjects, and my top 3 AS results average out to 94%. Would this, as well as my really good results in the two subjects I wish to apply for, help to cancel out the B if it doesn't go up 2 UMS or whatever with the remark? The reason I did 5 ASs is that I did Italian outside the timetable, starting the GCSE last year and getting an A* in a year doing it outside the timetable and then starting the AS this year. I also got 11 A*s at GCSE.
Reply 68
Original post by Extricated
Hello again, I was on the other thread. I think you misinterpreted my other post. When I said I had 266/300 in chemistry, you said "your chemistry is sufficiently close to an A to predict you an A next year.."..240/300 is actually an A...so I got an A but really close to 90% ..i think you're used to assuming 270/300 is an A haha :smile:..so with A*AAA with 99% economics, 92.3% maths/further maths and the high A in chem do you think I have a good chance? My school is weird in that your ISA mark actually directly compares with what teacher you have. The other chemistry class had a whole load of 60/60 in their ISA (which would've brought me to 278/300 in chemistry) because their teacher basically gives them the answers.

Another point is that I have done 9 maths modules (compared to 3-6 of the typical applicant), do you think that is something they care about or is somebody with 95% across C1,C2,S1 seen as better than somebody with 93% across C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,S2,M1,D1,FP1

Sorry, your post was about 12.30am US time and I'd been answering posts for about sixteen hours! Thank you for the correction. Yes, I do think you have a good chance - both your economics and maths are above 90%, your average probably isn't that far off 95% (I'm too lazy to work it out but it should be about 92%/93% which is very creditable) and S1, S2 and FP1 will definitely be an advantage. I may have already asked you this, but were your better grades in pure and stats or decision and mechanics? Decision and mechanics slip-ups will matter far less since they basically don't come into the course at all. As for your ISA mark - I can see them discounting that quite easily, not that a good A needs discounting at all! You should be a competitive applicant, so don't stress.
Reply 69
Original post by Prendah
It was just S1 and M1 that brought down my UMS scores, but I haven't really looked at STEP yet.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ZTE-BLADE

S1 is less of a problem, but mechanics-type topics feature very heavily in the maths course, and given that the standard of the applicants are leagues above anywhere else they may be wary. You don't know unless you try, but maths admissions can be a little bit weird (if you were applying for other subjects it wouldn't be a problem!)
Reply 70
Original post by Tim1249
I have just received my AS results with AAAAB, with 99% in Spanish, 98% in French, 85% in Maths, 82% in Italian and 79% in English. I am hoping to apply to Cambridge to study French and Spanish, and my results for those two subjects were obviously very good. However,I would like to know how much my chances would be affected by my B in English, as MML courses are obviously very literature based. I am actually very disappointed with my English result as I was expecting not only an A, but closer to 90%, and I am getting it remarked and will resit in January if needed.Now I know they are not too keen on retakes, but they say they realise students can have bad days and don't mind retakes in one or two modules.

I am also aware of the fact that arts and humanities applicants usually have an average of 90-95% in their top 3 AS subjects, and my top 3 AS results average out to 94%. Would this, as well as my really good results in the two subjects I wish to apply for, help to cancel out the B if it doesn't go up 2 UMS or whatever with the remark? The reason I did 5 ASs is that I did Italian outside the timetable, starting the GCSE last year and getting an A* in a year doing it outside the timetable and then starting the AS this year. I also got 11 A*s at GCSE.

Sounds fine to me - I think you should go for it. You have obvious passion and talent for the languages, and your grades are good. 79% isn't a complete disaster, and can easily be bumped up to an A at A2 even without a retake of the AS modules. I think you're likely to be competitive, though from your post you look like you already know this!
Reply 71
Original post by billlady
results:
a level math:A* 94%
as level economics:a 95%
as level physics: a 90%
as level history: a 83%

i am a student taking CIE exam.
i want to apply for economics in cambridge,and for this results, the UMS is 93?
so does it good enough ?
i have chance to study further math in september, should i take it ? and should i drop any course i currently taking(e.g history)?
thx for answering.:smile:

Hi there - your grades so far seem fine, though if you get the chance to take Further Maths you should as it'll be a big advantage to your application. If you want to drop history to make that work, it shouldn't make a huge amount of difference - it's perfectly acceptable to drop an AS, especially if you're picking an additional one up.
Maths -
C1 - 100/100
C2 - 98/100
C3 - 100/100
C4 - 94/100
M1 - 86/100
S1 - 97/100
Total - 575/600, 96% (A*)

Biology -
Cells, Exchange & Transport - 79/90
Molecules, Biodiversity, Food & Health - 141/150
Practical Skills - 46/60
Total - 266/300, 89% (A)

Chemistry -
Unit 1 - 94/120
Unit 2 - 106/120
Practicals - 52/60
Total - 252/300, 84% (A)

Physics -
Unit 1 - 100/120
Unit 2 - 96/120
Unit 3X - 26/60
Total - 222/300, 74% (B)

Wanna apply for NatSci. Disappointed with my Chemistry and Physics, especially Chemistry which I was expecting much more in. And my Physics practical screwed me over big time.
Reply 73
Original post by lp386
S1 is less of a problem, but mechanics-type topics feature very heavily in the maths course, and given that the standard of the applicants are leagues above anywhere else they may be wary. You don't know unless you try, but maths admissions can be a little bit weird (if you were applying for other subjects it wouldn't be a problem!)

Yeah, maybe if I pull it out of the bag with my interview and STEP, but I'm not expecting much.
So i got my AS level results on the 16th. For as long as i can remember i've wanted to apply to Cambridge. So here's the situation:
I have an Extenuating circumstance... im a carer for my chronically ill mother, and have been since the age of about 7. I do everything from cooking to looking after the younger sibling, chores etc. etc.
So I sat my AS levels this year. This is what i got
Mathematics: A
Further Mathematics: B
Biology: B
Chemistry: B
Physics: D <--- (resitting)

I want to apply for the natural sciences course (physical). Am i likely to get an interview? Im wondering what the offer for me would be, considering the extenuating circumstance? Is there anyone thats been through the same as me and has been through the process?
This is really bringing me down, so any advice or suggestions or help would be muchly appreciated, thank you! :biggrin: <3<3<3
So i got my AS level results on the 16th. I got:
Maths: A
Further Maths: B
Physics: D <---(Resitting)

The situation is: I have an Extenuating circumstance. I have been a young carer for my chronically ill mum since the age of about 7. I have to do evereything from caring for my mum to household chores, looking after younger siblings etc. etc.

Im not sure what to do? Will I even make it to interview? If i do make it to interview, what do you think the offer will be for me, considering the extenuating circumstances? (I'll be applying for the Natural science [Physical] course])
This is getting me down now, i just dont know what to do. For as long as I can remember i have wanted to study at Cambridge. Any advice would be muchly appreciated. Thank you Very Much! :biggrin: <3<3<3
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
What is the entry requirement for the course?
You have to make sure your teachers predict you the grades needed for the requirements.Then you have to work your ass of, smash the interview and make sure you get the grades. So yeah, you can apply :smile:
Reply 77
Well entry requirement for any course is A*AA,and if you get an offer it will be that because to me you will do maths heavy course they will defo give ususal offer to give you chance of prooving you are good enough for the course. If i was you i would find out how seriously they consider those kind of circumstances. If they are serious about it you should apply, however if you will be viewed as other people its no chance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fg=GM1M2/r^2
So i got my AS level results on the 16th. For as long as i can remember i've wanted to apply to Cambridge. So here's the situation:
I have an Extenuating circumstance... im a carer for my chronically ill mother, and have been since the age of about 7. I do everything from cooking to looking after the younger sibling, chores etc. etc.
So I sat my AS levels this year. This is what i got
Mathematics: A
Further Mathematics: B
Physics: D <--- (resitting)

I want to apply for the natural sciences course (physical). Am i likely to get an interview? Im wondering what the offer for me would be, considering the extenuating circumstance? Is there anyone thats been through the same as me and has been through the process?
This is really bringing me down, so any advice or suggestions or help would be muchly appreciated, thank you! :biggrin: <3<3<3

I'm pretty sure that extenuating circumstances are only taken into consideration when in the following years these will no longer affect you. As cruel as it sounds, if you need to continue being a carer through year 13 and university you will almost certainly fail the degree.

Due to this, you will be more likely to be given an offer but it will most likely be a standard offer (A*AA).

Good luck :smile:
Original post by hassi94
I'm pretty sure that extenuating circumstances are only taken into consideration when in the following years these will no longer affect you. As cruel as it sounds, if you need to continue being a carer through year 13 and university you will almost certainly fail the degree.

Due to this, you will be more likely to be given an offer but it will most likely be a standard offer (A*AA).

Good luck :smile:

Yeah i had a long conversation with my mum about that, and we concluded that the responsibility of care would have to be handed down to my younger siblings if i did go away to university? :smile: <3<3<3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending