The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fg=GM1M2/r^2
Yeah i had a long conversation with my mum about that, and we concluded that the responsibility of care would have to be handed down to my younger siblings if i did go away to university? :smile: <3<3<3

In that case you should try contact the university and see what they have to say. I still do think they'd expect A*AA (they need to know that you have done well enough in your A-levels that you won't be starting behind everyone else)...
Original post by hassi94
In that case you should try contact the university and see what they have to say. I still do think they'd expect A*AA (they need to know that you have done well enough in your A-levels that you won't be starting behind everyone else)...

Well i did have a conversation with my teachers, and im still on for a few A's next year in A2. I have dropped chemistry, but in both Further Maths and Biology, i was only 1 mark of an A :O (so gutting), so in theory I could still push those grades up to an A and hopefully an A* in maths. Thanks you for that wonderful advice! :biggrin: <3<3<3
Reply 82
Original post by Samson/Delilah
x

cambridge will see your UMS in every module, so you can make up for not-as-good practical marks with decent written results.

i'll assume you're going for biological. taking the average of your most relevant three AS levels (bio, chem and maths) gives 89.6% which is about .5% less than what i had when i applied, and i got an offer from my preferred college.

if you want to apply, then apply. it's just one space of five, and even if you don't get in, your grades and predicted grades will get you in to other good universities. i think you've got a shot, and that your interview performance is going to be key here.

best of luck!
Reply 83
Hi guys, is it worth a shot applying for computer science?
At GCSE I've got 4A*'s. 4A's, B, 2C's and BTEC in ICT which my high school claimed was an equivalent to 4 A's. The C's I got are in English Lang and Lit as I've only lived in UK for 2 years when I started my GCSEs, so my English wasn't great.
Recently at my AS I got:
Computing -A 94%,
Physics - A 98%,
Maths - A 89%,
Chemistry - A 83%.
I've dropped chemistry and picked up AS in further maths next year. I'm worried that my maths might not be good enough for this course. Do I have a chance of getting an offer?
Original post by Little Wing
Original post by JamalAhmed

About 2 weeks before each exam :frown: Regret nothing.

Oh, so I am going to start a little earlier to avoid the mistake you made :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Economics
ECON1 100/100 (t'was a retake from a previous 80/100)
ECON2 90/100
ECON3 77/100 (:frown:)
ECON4 100/100

Business Studies
BUSS1 72/80
BUSS2 120/120
BUSS3 92/100
BUSS4 68/100 (:frown:)

Maths
Core1 93/100
Core2 93/100
Stat1 100/100

Further Maths
Mech1 91/100
Mech2 91/100
FurtherPure1 91/100 (pretty darn consistent lol)

GCSEs: 6A*s 3As and a B

Next year I'll be doing Maths, F.Maths and will probably do English Language AS & A2.

I did Econ & Buss A2 by myself. And did pretty darn well if I do say so myself. But probably not good enough for Cambridge. :frown: Curse their unit score requirements. Do you guys think I'm still in the running? My courseload is such a mess.
Reply 86
Original post by martinw
Economics
ECON1 100/100 (t'was a retake from a previous 80/100)
ECON2 90/100
ECON3 77/100 (:frown:)
ECON4 100/100

Business Studies
BUSS1 72/80
BUSS2 120/120
BUSS3 92/100
BUSS4 68/100 (:frown:)

Maths
Core1 93/100
Core2 93/100
Stat1 100/100

Further Maths
Mech1 91/100
Mech2 91/100
FurtherPure1 91/100 (pretty darn consistent lol)

GCSEs: 6A*s 3As and a B

Next year I'll be doing Maths, F.Maths and will probably do English Language AS & A2.

I did Econ & Buss A2 by myself. And did pretty darn well if I do say so myself. But probably not good enough for Cambridge. :frown: Curse their unit score requirements. Do you guys think I'm still in the running? My courseload is such a mess.

Your main disadvantage is two sets of overlapping A levels when compared with people who have have five subjects including FM. However you have a strong showing in the stats module and decent maths UMS (if not outstanding). In the context of your other results the Econ 3 looks rogue-are you getting a re-mark?

If you really did self-teach Economics & BS you should state this very clearly on an application and I would expect this would cause them to look very carefully at your application and interview.
Reply 87
Original post by cookie99
What is the entry requirement for the course?
You have to make sure your teachers predict you the grades needed for the requirements.Then you have to work your ass of, smash the interview and make sure you get the grades. So yeah, you can apply :smile:

Cambridge don't take a great deal of notice of predictions as they have your UMS marks and make their own assumptions. They will listen if a teacher suggests a good reason why your AS is an under-performance (other than someone didn't work).
Reply 88
So i got my AS level results on the 16th. I got:
Maths: A
Further Maths: B
Biology: B
Chemistry: B
Physics: D <---(Resitting)

The situation is: I have an Extenuating circumstance. I have been a young carer for my chronically ill mum since the age of about 7. I have to do evereything from caring for my mum to household chores, looking after younger siblings etc. etc.

Im not sure what to do? Will I even make it to interview? If i do make it to interview, what do you think the offer will be for me, considering the extenuating circumstances? (I'll be applying for the Natural science [Physical] course])
This is getting me down now, i just dont know what to do. For as long as I can remember i have wanted to study at Cambridge. Any advice would be muchly appreciated. Thank you Very Much! :biggrin: <3<3<3

Without the extenuating circumstances you would probably not get an interview.

Because of your situation they will interview (assuming you apply through CSAS).

You will still have to convince them at interview that you can achieve A*AA minimum. To be competitive 3A*A is advised when applying post results as this is what most NatSci's achieve.
Original post by Colmans

Because of your situation they will interview (assuming you apply through CSAS).

You will still have to convince them at interview that you can achieve A*AA minimum. To be competitive 3A*A is advised when applying post results as this is what most NatSci's achieve.

Would I get an interview for medicine with AAAAB, average 86% ums?
Reply 90
Original post by Tim1249
I have just received my AS results with AAAAB, with 99% in Spanish, 98% in French, 85% in Maths, 82% in Italian and 79% in English. I am hoping to apply to Cambridge to study French and Spanish, and my results for those two subjects were obviously very good. However,I would like to know how much my chances would be affected by my B in English, as MML courses are obviously very literature based. I am actually very disappointed with my English result as I was expecting not only an A, but closer to 90%, and I am getting it remarked and will resit in January if needed.Now I know they are not too keen on retakes, but they say they realise students can have bad days and don't mind retakes in one or two modules.

I am also aware of the fact that arts and humanities applicants usually have an average of 90-95% in their top 3 AS subjects, and my top 3 AS results average out to 94%. Would this, as well as my really good results in the two subjects I wish to apply for, help to cancel out the B if it doesn't go up 2 UMS or whatever with the remark? The reason I did 5 ASs is that I did Italian outside the timetable, starting the GCSE last year and getting an A* in a year doing it outside the timetable and then starting the AS this year. I also got 11 A*s at GCSE.

The typical humanities student achieves A*A*A and you are well on target for that. You have a test to prove how good you are at grammar etc. I would flag up the Italian issue in your extra statement. Obviously they would prefer to see a higher English mark but I doubt it would rule you out in the context of the results of the two languages you want to study.
Reply 91
Original post by Little Wing
Would I get an interview for medicine with AAAAB, average 86% ums?

The cut off is not published so we can't tell you.

This helps to understand the competition:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/presentations/teachersforum2010.pdf
Original post by Colmans

Thank you Very much. I wasnt far off an A in all three, further maths, biology or chemistry, I was only 4 marks off an A in both biology and chemistry and only 1 mark off an A in Further Maths. Speaking to my teachers, they say im still on for A*'s in maths and further maths, and in theory, Biology aswell!
Thats made my day, thank you again! :biggrin: <3<3<3
AS Results:

C1: 96/100
C2: 100/100
S1: 99/100
295/300 for Maths AS.

FP1: 96/100
M1: 98/100
M2:100/100
294/300 for Further Maths AS

Chem1: 100/100
Chem2: 129/140
ISA: 53/60
282/300 for Chemistry AS

Phy1: 98/120
Phy2: 120/120
ISA: 50/60
268/300 for Physics AS

AS ICT 200/200

A* EPQ on the physics of the land speed record: 45/50

Undertaking Grade 8 Cornet this November.

Essentially I'm aiming for 4 A*s (dropping ICT) and applying for NatSci (Phys). These will be the key selling points in my application, is there anything glaringly bad?
Reply 94
Original post by Snakefingers13
AS Results:

C1: 96/100
C2: 100/100
S1: 99/100
295/300 for Maths AS.

FP1: 96/100
M1: 98/100
M2:100/100
294/300 for Further Maths AS

Chem1: 100/100
Chem2: 129/140
ISA: 53/60
282/300 for Chemistry AS

Phy1: 98/120
Phy2: 120/120
ISA: 50/60
268/300 for Physics AS

AS ICT 200/200

A* EPQ on the physics of the land speed record: 45/50

Undertaking Grade 8 Cornet this November.

Essentially I'm aiming for 4 A*s (dropping ICT) and applying for NatSci (Phys). These will be the key selling points in my application, is there anything glaringly bad?

Its a shame your physics is the lowest score =p but well done on the results.

Original post by Oromis263
As a quick break down:

I applied in the last cycle, for Physical NatSci, but was unsuccessful. My AS UMS was on the low side (89% average) but mainly due to one exam. Nevertheless, this is ultimately what came across as my reason for rejection in my feedback.

This year I got:
Maths - 300/300
Physics - 298/300 (Full marks in both exams, UMS lost in coursework)
Further Maths - 294/300
Chemistry - 289/300 (238/240 in exams, the rest of the UMS lost in coursework)

Giving me totals:

Maths - 589/600
Physics - 578/600
Further Maths - 548/600
Chemistry - 547/600

I am considering reapplying, and will be heading down to Cambridge tomorrow to visit some colleges and meet with some people in order to get their opinion, but the people in the previous thread were quite useful. Would I stand in decent stead grade wise to reapply? Obviously this years results were high, but my percentages in fmaths and chemistry are below where I'd want them to be.

Basically, I just need some advice on whether or not to reapply, as I'm to make the decision over the next couple of days. :smile:

Wow, excellent results. If you don't mind taking the year out and understand you won't definately get an offer then go for it. If you don't get an interview Ill be shocked. Then you have to shine. good luck =]
Reply 95
My AS level results are AAAAA from all 5 subjects: History, Russian, Politics, Sociology, Psychology. Some modules have very high ums, but some are weaker. However, i hope that the fact that english is not my first language will count in my favour. I am Slovak and all my pre-A-level education is from Slovakia. I want to apply for HSPS.Here are my UMS scores:

History unit 1 - 94/100
History unit 2 - 72/100

Russian unit 1 - 60/60
Russian unit 2 - 135/140

Politics unit 1 - 85/100
Politics unit 2 - 87/100

Sociology unit 1 - 66/80
Sociology unit 2 - 98/120

Psychology unit 1 - 50/80
Psychology unit 2 - 111/120

In addition, i have IELTS 8.5 score.

I dont know what predictions i will get yet.

I will undoubtedly go ahead and give it a try, i have nothing to lose, but i would like to know what you think about my chances.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96

Well i did have a conversation with my teachers, and im still on for a few A's next year in A2. I have dropped chemistry, but in both Further Maths and Biology, i was only 1 mark of an A :O (so gutting), so in theory I could still push those grades up to an A and hopefully an A* in maths. Thanks you for that wonderful advice! :biggrin: <3<3<3

Dropping Chemistry would significantly limit the number of options you would have on the NatSci course if you got in - have a look here http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/natsci/part1a.html. I would think very carefully before dropping it.
I have the following AS grades:

Chemistry - 98%
Maths - 97%
Physics - 96%
Biology - 95%
Further Maths - 90%

I'm pretty sure these give me a fighting chance, but I'd like to know how common these kind of grades are among Cambridge NatSci applicants - would I be in the top end, middle of the road or fighting to keep my head above water? I know my further maths grade is a little lower...I hated two of the exams :/

Reply 98
Providing the rest of your application is sound I'd don't see why you can't expect to be interviewed. Gcses very weak though

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 99
I want to apply for physical natural sciences. These are my AS grades:

Maths - A - 266/300 UMS
Chemistry - A - 248/300 UMS
Physics - B - 237/300 UMS
Biology - A - 251/300 UMS

Honest thoughts? This is assuming I nail my personal statement and the interview goes well.

Also, does anyone know anyone who got offers with AAAB grades?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending