The Student Room Group

AS Grade good enough ?

Hi Everyone, i hope everything went ok for people yesterday.
I was just wondering whether my AS Grades will be good enough to get into/apply to my desired unis.
I am/was hoping to apply to the likes of Durham/Bristol/LSE/UCL etc.
My AS Results were not what i was hoping:

Economics - A (90% UMS)
Geography - A (90% UMS)
Maths - B
F.Maths C (Low C)

Am i still on track for these uni's? Or aren't these good enough. Also i got 239 UMS on my Maths, which is literally 1 UMS away from an A -_-. Should i get that remarked or when it come to UCAS does it not really matter?

Thanks in Advance
Reply 1
Doesn't it depend on what course you want to do - try looking on ucas, they tend to give rough ideas of grades and things that each uni wants and when you go back to school/college your teachers should give you predicted grades (which are usually what you got at AS) so you can work out roughly what grades / ucas points you'll get.
Reply 2
So are predicted grades more important to uni's than as grades?
Reply 3
No, the final grade is what matters most to universities. But using your predicted grades you can get bearings on the amount of UCAS points you would have if you got them, so you would have a rough idea checking on the uni/course profile on UCAS whether you've got a chance of being accepted to that particular course.
Original post by blade63
I was just wondering whether my AS Grades will be good enough to get into/apply to my desired unis.

Economics - A (90% UMS)
Geography - A (90% UMS)
Maths - B
F.Maths C (Low C)

Am i still on track for these uni's? Or aren't these good enough. Also i got 239 UMS on my Maths, which is literally 1 UMS away from an A -_-. Should i get that remarked or when it come to UCAS does it not really matter?

Thanks in Advance

Why not try and get it remarked? And what are your GCSEs like? I'd imagine with Unis like that they'd be important.
Reply 5
Original post by blade63

Economics - A (90% UMS)
Geography - A (90% UMS)
Maths - B
F.Maths C (Low C)

Thanks in Advance

What course were you hoping to do? And what are the required grades?

maths and FM are pretty easy to improve your ums scores on by retaking if you're doing a modular course - did you do badly in a particular module? Talk to your maths teacher and tell them you were disappointed with your grades, and that you'll work harder next year/retake some modules, and they might give you an A predicted grade for maths. Dunno about FM though...are you carrying it on next year?
Reply 6
Depends on the course to be fair. For things like economics you would be ruled out straight away cuz they require you to get a* in maths.
Reply 7
I was hoping to do economics with politics where the requirements are usually AAA or AAB.I did have two bad modules Stats and decision which i know were just really bad days. These have brought my maths and f maths down. I'm sure i'll be able to get my maths up to a good A, i was just worried that it is a B that uni's will see even though i could and probably will in January get an A. But because i have got the B and thats what will go on my UCAS they'll reject me on that basis?

Quick Reply

Latest