The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Confirmed place at York uni - now what?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Antonton
Hest East isnt on the main campus is it? I think I fancy living on the main campus so I think I'll apply for Alcuin. I think economics is on Alcuin aswell. With regards to Derwent what does "upgraded standard mean?

Thanks for the help by the way <3

No, Hest East is not the main campus. Too bad, accommodation there looks superb. Yeah, enomomics department is right next to Alcuin, very close.

I don't really know what "upgraded standard" means as I wasn't checking Derwent, maybe these rooms are refurbished, standard but nicer?
University of York
York
Reply 61
Original post by MPN
No, Hest East is not the main campus. Too bad, accommodation there looks superb. Yeah, enomomics department is right next to Alcuin, very close.

I don't really know what "upgraded standard" means as I wasn't checking Derwent, maybe these rooms are refurbished, standard but nicer?

Hmmm... do you know whether Alcuin is still pretty lively? I don't want to goto somewhere too quiet and I want to go somewhere reasonably social too.
Hmmm... do you know whether Alcuin is still pretty lively? I don't want to goto somewhere too quiet and I want to go somewhere reasonably social too.

It's reasonably social, but has a reputation of being quieter than others. Derwent is definitely the party college but the accommodation isn't as good.
Reply 63
Original post by Aeschylus
It's reasonably social, but has a reputation of being quieter than others. Derwent is definitely the party college but the accommodation isn't as good.

Thanks

The thing with Derwent is that there isnt much ensuites is there? How would you sum up James and Langwith?
Reply 64

Few friends of mine told me that Alcuin is a bit too quiet and antisocial whereas Derwent is know to be the best for partying people. I would take this with a pinch of salt, and it all depends on the people who you are gonna live with, so even if your block will be labelled as quiet in reality it may be different.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by MPN
Few friends of mine told me that Alcuin is a bit too quiet and antisocial whereas Derwent is know to be the best for partying people. I would take this with a pinch of salt, and it all depends on the people who you are gonna live with, so even if your block will be labelled as quiet in reality it may be different.

Have you heard much about Langwith and James?
I'm looking at Halifax now and the map - it doesnt look that far off the main campus!
Thanks

The thing with Derwent is that there isnt much ensuites is there? How would you sum up James and Langwith?

James is generally very nice. The only worry with James is that you might get 'N' block, the one non-ensuite block, which has a great party atmosphere but accommodation wise is a bit dire. I haven't seen the new Langwith buildings yet, but if Goodricke is anything to go by they'll by lush
Reply 67
Original post by Aeschylus
James is generally very nice. The only worry with James is that you might get 'N' block, the one non-ensuite block, which has a great party atmosphere but accommodation wise is a bit dire. I haven't seen the new Langwith buildings yet, but if Goodricke is anything to go by they'll by lush

Maybe I don't understand how the application system works... don't I chose whether or not I want an ensuite or not? Theres so much choice and not much time left to chose... HELP! D:
Reply 68
Maybe I don't understand how the application system works... don't I chose whether or not I want an ensuite or not? Theres so much choice and not much time left to chose... HELP! D:

Yeah, you choose what college you want, then the week let (39/51) and the room type (catered, en-suite etc) You will only see what is still available in each college

I will look like this; Zrzut ekranu 2012-08-18 (godz. 15.30.49).png

I heard that people are already saying how Alcuin is a bit isolated even though it is on the main campus so with Halifax even further away it maybe be even more isolated, Idk, it sure is not extremely far from the centre. Halifax has nice, spacious rooms from what I have seen. Really spacious.

New Langwith is brand new, also all rooms en-suited. Huge, spacious kitchens.

James is next to sport facilities, also has nice rooms but not all en-suited.

Alcuin have all rooms en-suited so if you apply there you will get your own bathroom and with colleges that have some block en-suited you may get the one not en-suited but the chances should be that you get what you want.
(edited 11 years ago)

You should have the offer of ensuite, in addition to the week let. The accommodation has changed since I applied so you should get your place.
Reply 70
Original post by MPN
Yeah, you choose what college you want, then the week let (39/51) and the room type (catered, en-suite etc) You will only see what is still available in each college

I will look like this; Zrzut ekranu 2012-08-18 (godz. 15.30.49).png

I heard that people are already saying how Alcuin is a bit isolated even though it is on the main campus so with Halifax even further away it maybe be even more isolated, Idk, it sure is not extremely far from the centre. Halifax has nice, spacious rooms from what I have seen. Really spacious.

New Langwith is brand new, also all rooms en-suited. Huge, spacious kitchens.

James is next to sport facilities, also has nice rooms but not all en-suited.

Alcuin have all rooms en-suited so if you apply there you will get your own bathroom and with colleges that have some block en-suited you may get the one not en-suited but the chances should be that you get what you want.

On the map I'm looking at it says Langwith College... is that New Langwith? I'm getting interested in all of them now! In all honesty I dont think I'd mind which I get... university is what you make out of it and all I'm bothered about is getting an ensuite if I'm completely honest haha :smile:.
Reply 71
On the map I'm looking at it says Langwith College... is that New Langwith? I'm getting interested in all of them now! In all honesty I dont think I'd mind which I get... university is what you make out of it and all I'm bothered about is getting an ensuite if I'm completely honest haha :smile:.

Yep, the only Langwith College now is the brand new one on the Hest East, to prevent any confusion for now it's called New Langwith like it was with New Goodricke in previous years. I know, I got so confused as well, they relocated few colleges and old buildings were divided and now added to other colleges (Old Langwith is now added to Derwent College I think and Old Goodricke buildings were divided between James College and Vanbrugh College)

If you want en-suite then just make a list of all colleges where you can get such room (check also the lenght of let). I listed few chosen colleges and if my first choice was not available I could move on to the next one. This way when you are too stressed when seeing that your first pick is not there then you just look quickly for your second choice and go for it :smile: I know it can be nerve-wracking and some people start panicking when they don't see what they want. It's best to be prepared for such situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by MPN
Yep, the only Langwith College now is the brand new one on the Hest East, to prevent any confusion for now it's called New Langwith like it was with New Goodricke in previous years. I know, I got so confused as well, they relocated few colleges and old buildings were divided and now added to other colleges (Old Langwith is now added to Derwent College I think and Old Goodricke buildings were divided between James College and Vanbrugh College)

If you want en-suite then just make a list of all colleges where you can get such room (check also the lenght of let). I listed few chosen colleges and if my first choice was not available I could move on to the next one. This way when you are too stressed when seeing that your first pick is not there then you just look quickly for your second choice and go for it :smile: I know it can be nerve-wracking and some people start panicking when they don't see what they want. It's best to be prepared for such situation.

Langwith is the one next to Derwent right? (so on the main campus)

So if I want to get an en-suite the best way would be use this right?

http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/new-students/undergraduates/newapplicants2012-13/accommodationlocations/

Thats good advice btw, never thought about that. :smile:. IM SO EXCITED NOW
Reply 73
Langwith is the one next to Derwent right? (so on the main campus)

So if I want to get an en-suite the best way would be use this right?

http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/new-students/undergraduates/newapplicants2012-13/accommodationlocations/

Thats good advice btw, never thought about that. :smile:. IM SO EXCITED NOW

No, sorry, Langwith is now on Hest East with Goodricke. Langwith USED to be next to Derwent but NOW it's been relocated to Hest East with its own new buildings now next to Goodricke College.

If you look on that link, all rooms in Langwith are premium (premium standard and premium en-suite), which means it's referring to new buildings on Hest East.

All premium rooms are these in the newest part of each college.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by MPN
No, sorry, Langwith is now on Hest East with Goodricke. Langwith USED to be next to Derwent but NOW it's been relocated to Hest East with its own new buildings now next to Goodricke College.

If you look on that link, all rooms in Langwith are premium (premium standard and premium en-suite), which means it's referring to new buildings on Hest East.

All premium rooms are these in the newest part of each college.

Oh.. the map I'm looking at must be outdated, it was from back in March when I went on the opening day haha. Is there an updated one on the website?

Seriously thank you so much for the help... hope you dont mind me asking all these questions haha
Reply 75
Oh.. the map I'm looking at must be outdated, it was from back in March when I went on the opening day haha. Is there an updated one on the website?

Seriously thank you so much for the help... hope you dont mind me asking all these questions haha

Yup, should be an interactive map on their website. I'm using one from the prospectus I got from them.

Nah, that's perfectly ok! That's what TSR is for :tongue: Ask anything you want to know and I will gladly help you out. I still remember when I was asking tons of questions here and there was always someone kind and patient enough to answer them all. We students should help each other
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by MPN
Yup, should be an interactive map on their website. I'm using one from the prospectus I got from them.

Nah, that's perfectly ok! That's what TSR is for :tongue: Ask anything you want to know and I will gladly help you out. I still remember when I was asking tons of questions here and there was always someone kind and patient enough to answer them all. We students should help each other

Thanks so much... what would I have done without you!

I've just enrolled, but I haven't

3. Upload a photograph for your University Card
4. Setup payment instructions for tuition and/or accommodation fees

will this stop the accommodation email from sending out?

I wouldn't have thought it would but I want to be sure!

Tomorrow (or today) I think will be the last day and I better get researching in what I really want to stay at!
Reply 77
Original post by whataboutlauren
Hi, Im going to york this year too and Im also totally at a loss with the accommodation, I have a friend at york and have been told Derwent and James are the best - but Id really like an ensuite and at Derwent the only ensuite rooms are near the post grad halls and you have to be quiet (zzz) and James has a lot of international students which I dont have a problem with but I wouldn't want to be isolated because we all speak different langauges sort of thing.
Is there anyone on here who has been in their first year already or someone who is a representative of york who can advise me on which halls to go for because it is so so confusing :frown:

My advice; don't be such a wimp, you don't need ensuite. Go for Derwent, it is the best.
Reply 78

Tomorrow (or today) I think will be the last day and I better get researching in what I really want to stay at!

Nope I don't think so.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus
Reply 79

Nope, you don't have to. I didn't set up my payment instruction (and still haven't done yet, I'm gonna pay once I'm in York) and it didn't affect my chances of getting accommodation email later or anything like that. You will be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest