The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi, I have been suffering from chronic tension headaches for 10 years. They were caused initially by smoking marijuana. I gave that up a few years ago but I still get the headaches. Once a headache cycle starts it's hard to break it. My advice to anyone would be to keep a headache diary in which you note down what you were doing and when the headaches get worse/start. That way you can look over what you've written and try to find the cause of your headaches. It's worth doing this for a long period of time and trying to identify patterns. My life towards the end of school and the start of university was very difficult, I had non stop painful headaches. I struggled to concentrate and I felt down a lot of the time.
In terms of things you can do on a daily basis to improve your headaches I would recommend stretches. In this link a chiropractor goes through 6 exercises which can help to relieve tension headaches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URGw0QGp0IY
This is a very good exercise as well, using acupressure points. I was sceptical, but it really does work.http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Barhydt2.html
If you do these exercises I think you will find a lot of relief, my headaches have improved because of them. Also I would recommend some exercise, you say exercise makes your headaches worse, I'd say try just moderate exercise at first, like going for a walk, that will boost serotonin which is implicated in chronic tension headaches.
In terms of over the counter medication I have found aspirin to be good, but just for very occasional use. Also I have read that naproxen (brand name aleve) which you can buy on amazon can break the cycle of tension headaches. It may be worth a try. Sorry for the long post, I hope this information is useful to somebody.
Reply 61
hi there, thanks a lot that for the post, thats quite interesting, but ive tried so man yexcercises, my muscles are just too tense to carry out any sort of stretch or exercise, al i really need are some properly deep deep tissue massages.
I also need to try some weed lol. and my headache singular not plural is constant and hasnt gone away at all not even for a second, just stayed bad. Three years just gone a few days ago, therefore a headaceh diary wouldnt really help to identify patterns , because its just one simple pattern . .i
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
ff
I suffer from tension headaches too. As others have said, breaking the cycle is the answer. After seeing several unsympathetic doctors I was given co-codamol at the lowest dose. This can only be taken for three days but I found that once it had gotten rid of the headache they came back much less often so what would have been a ten day headache was just a one day headache.
Once you have reduced the frequency of your headache (so it's not every day) learn your 'triggers' mine are tiredness, caffeine, tight hairstyles, oversleeping, slouching over a desk, and about ten other things. You can't always avoid them but I can try haha.
Good luck!
Reply 64
Original post by Sean3000
What do you want an MRI/CT scan for? As for painkillers, stepping up the WHO painladder would put you on the level of weak opioid/paracetamol combination eg. co-codamol, this is something to discuss with your GP as im not sure an internet forum is the right place to be 'recommending medication'.

It sounds like you don't have the best rapport with your GP, this happens sometimes. Maybe you could consider changing your GP if this is possible? I have no doubt your current GP will be competent, but it's often the case that the dr-patient relationship is harder to establish in certain settings when personalities clash; and if you feel more able to communicate your concerns with a different GP then a change might be worth it.

You have already seen a neurologist who would have arranged imaging of the brain if he saw fit at the time, although if your GP decides to refer you back, he might re visist this option. I guess the thing is with an MRI, you are no better off in terms of symptoms if the result comes back completely normal.

Have you tried, or been recommended any psychological therapies? The reason I ask, is that you describe chronic fatigue syndrome, and panic attacks (this is not a problem with your nervous system, as you alluded to in your OP)...both of which have a strong psychological basis- I'm not implying that you are 'making these things up' or that its all in your mind, I understand that these are very real phenomena. Part of me wonders if there is some underlying anxiety that is linked in with these chronic headaches, and perhaps thats why the GP is not sending you for imaging at this moment in time? For example, would you be re assured if an MRI came back normal? Or would you still be worried that it missed something?

I'm not trying to diagnose you with anything, just really giving my unqualified opinion! You should discuss this with your current, or another GP to get some answers!

Good luck with it all!

Totally agree with all that.
Good post.
Bump
Reply 66
Hi there, did you find a cure? I've still got V bad concentration. My girlfriend AB dumped due to my concentration.
Reply 67
I use Pregabalin as a migraine prophylaxis and I use Naproxen, Dihydrocodeine and ACAP for short term pain relief. Nibble on a bit of valium and glug a bit of morphine if they're really bad.

Once the Pregabalin kicks in, it works miracles.
Reply 68
Hi there does anyone recommend i try weed.? i dont give a **** at this rate, i know that its effects will be only temporal, but it shoudn't cause more pain should it?
Reply 69
i think its about time i see a chiropractor for my posture lool. i bought a pillow recently called the 'Therapeutica pillow" however i am still getting used to it but so far it hasnt done anything for the relief of my neck and head, i stuggle to sleep straight and always turn to the side, so this doesn't help. has anyone tried this pillow before? I have my a level exams coming up so soon and i am so stressed out. Can anyone recommend any back pain products that has they have used with success to relieve pain.
Reply 70
Hi there, so i am 19 years old re took my a levels and have applied to university. However i have no idea whether i can recover my from illness in time before uni starts, i dont like to be negative, but in reality i dont see this happening. I said this last year and but all that happened is that i enjoyed everyday of the summer holiday by going out, (to destress ect ext). however i didnt recover. Most of my friends went to uni last year and will be going to univeristy this year however i dont know how it works, but how would i have to reapply, if i didnt get the grades? Due to my illness at the moment i have loads of exams coming up, and am under enormous stress and pressure to do well in all of them. This is the third year i am in my 6th form college and i dont knwo whether its possible to re apply next year or take a gap year and firm a univeristy this year and ask them if they can hold me the offer untilk next year after taking a year after i finish my a levels this year.
Reply 71
You could try Panadol extra [ i think they sell it here?] 500mg paracetamol 15mg codeine... It worked a treat every time i had a migraine, i cant think of anything else you can get OTC... You could try asking your GP for something a little more punchier though?
Original post by prinay123
Hi there, so i am 19 years old re took my a levels and have applied to university. However i have no idea whether i can recover my from illness in time before uni starts, i dont like to be negative, but in reality i dont see this happening. I said this last year and but all that happened is that i enjoyed everyday of the summer holiday by going out, (to destress ect ext). however i didnt recover. Most of my friends went to uni last year and will be going to univeristy this year however i dont know how it works, but how would i have to reapply, if i didnt get the grades? Due to my illness at the moment i have loads of exams coming up, and am under enormous stress and pressure to do well in all of them. This is the third year i am in my 6th form college and i dont knwo whether its possible to re apply next year or take a gap year and firm a univeristy this year and ask them if they can hold me the offer untilk next year after taking a year after i finish my a levels this year.

You could reapply next year if you wanted to. It's the same process and you would probably still do it through school.
You can also put an offer on hold and defer it for next year - many do. But you need to check with the university by calling or emailing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
eht iHre i bought a special posture chair recently called rh logic 400 but sitting on this still hurts my back so much im just wondering if i have to give it time for my spine to allign to the correct posture? But i think this is not the case as it reallly really.pains me an awful lot and when i get up i have to crack my back. This is also the case with my new pillow i bought. I tried a mssage chair in a shop and when i sat on it my back pain was reduced and so was the neck pain because of the zero gravity position and neck pillow and shape of the chair which is ideal for good posture. Someone advise thanks
Have you been to an optician lately? I found that my headaches reduced when I got glasses. I'm not saying that is the cause of your headaches because I don't know, but it could be a factor. It's definitely something to consider.
Reply 75
Original post by Nutella:3
Have you been to an optician lately? I found that my headaches reduced when I got glasses. I'm not saying that is the cause of your headaches because I don't know, but it could be a factor. It's definitely something to consider.

hi there that was the first thing that was checked. The cause is certainly due to poor posture. thats it. Getting rid of it is very difficult even reducing. Every effort to reduce so far be it through massages, accupuncture reflexology, ect ect ect , has not helped, this is because my muscles are extremely knotted. on a very extreme level.
I had tension headaches, came about in my first year of uni, it really does ruin your life and none of your friends understand! anyway, my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline for it. It has helped my life drastically , I no longer take the tablets and have barely any headaches anymore! Its worth asking your doctor about :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by Laura120792
I had tension headaches, came about in my first year of uni, it really does ruin your life and none of your friends understand! anyway, my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline for it. It has helped my life drastically , I no longer take the tablets and have barely any headaches anymore! Its worth asking your doctor about :smile:

hi there how long did you have the headache for? mynes almost 4 years. my doc has prescribed antitriptaline to me 10mg > how much mg did you have ? ive been taking this for over two months so now i am going to him soon to increase the dosage to 20mg. Also what was the cause of your headache ? was work stress and poor posture like mine?
Original post by prinay123
hi there how long did you have the headache for? mynes almost 4 years. my doc has prescribed antitriptaline to me 10mg > how much mg did you have ? ive been taking this for over two months so now i am going to him soon to increase the dosage to 20mg. Also what was the cause of your headache ? was work stress and poor posture like mine?

I had headaches for about 5 years, but only started getting really bad 3 years ago, went to the doctors about it 2 years ago and he started me off on 20mg, which relieved the headaches a bit but they were still there, so he moved me up to 30mg, but he told me they can give up to 100mg doses so you should definetly be able to have more than 10mg!! I was on amitripyline for a year and a half so its no miracle cure but does really help. cause of headaches, my doctor said I was stressed but I personally didnt feel stressed, I do have poor posture though and also, to begin with I had a combination of chronic tension headaches and daily chronic headaches (which is caused by taking too much paracetamol) so if you're using any painkillers I would stop using them and see if that helps any!
Reply 79
Original post by Laura120792
I had headaches for about 5 years, but only started getting really bad 3 years ago, went to the doctors about it 2 years ago and he started me off on 20mg, which relieved the headaches a bit but they were still there, so he moved me up to 30mg, but he told me they can give up to 100mg doses so you should definetly be able to have more than 10mg!! I was on amitripyline for a year and a half so its no miracle cure but does really help. cause of headaches, my doctor said I was stressed but I personally didnt feel stressed, I do have poor posture though and also, to begin with I had a combination of chronic tension headaches and daily chronic headaches (which is caused by taking too much paracetamol) so if you're using any painkillers I would stop using them and see if that helps any!

Oh my god. I feel your pain? so what are you in uni ? nope never took any painkillers. never worked. Do you, havea special pillow chair? ive bought some recently but they dont help? isnt't hard to concentrate, and working, my working life has been destroyed during the past 3 years, absolutely destroyed. I cannot work as late as i want and fast as i need to do. make many mistakes writing missign out words writing wrong words, have made mistakes due to concentration. What about getting out of breatbh and chronic fatigue tell me more?

Latest