The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering at Brunel/Leicester, or take resits.

After writing this, I've realised it's very long winded. However I want to put down all my thoughts and let other minds process them, to get the best outcome.

Short questions to people who could help but don't want to read all this:
1) Brunel University or University Of Leicester as a clearing choice?
2) Resit the year to open up more University choices next year, whilst effectively retaining the option to go to Brunel/Leicester?
3)Brunel vs other ABB/AAB Universities?

I'm in a position where I've missed my firm and insurance offers, (ABB and BBB respectively), and instead obtained BBC, (Maths, Physics Further Maths).

However, I have been through clearing, and currently hold an offer from Brunel University, and I'm unsure if I've chosen the right University, or even made the right decision to go to University this year. The other option would be to resit, and get at least ABB in the same subjects, (For the purposes of this thread, I'm assuming I'm definitely getting ABB, something is seriously wrong if didn't manage to).

Now I've made plenty of phone calls to Universities regarding getting a place through clearing this year, and what my chances are of getting a place next year with the above grades.

[INDENT]About half the 'clearing list' was made up of foundation courses - I had been hoping to take an intermediate year at an AAB/AAA standard University, to get on the full course afterwards. None of them said that would be possible, but I misunderstood foundation degrees anyway. [/INDENT]

[INDENT]The other half other the clearing list is made up from Uni's I could get into now, chosen by myself based largely on rankings, but also other written sources to reduce the options. I currently hold offers from Brunel University and University of Leicester. As I type, I've accepted the Brunel offer knowing I can reject that now, and accept Leicester instead if the place is still available.
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]
The other list consists of ABB/AAB Universities which I think I stand a real chance of getting into next year, (I'm asking the AAB uni's out of hope really). I've not finished, but of the ones I've phoned they say resitting will not harm my chances, but the also say further maths will give no advantage. However, if I were to get ABB by March 2013, any offers would be Unconditional so I wouldn't be fighting anyone for a place.[/INDENT]

Options
The two main options are to go to Brunel/Leicester this year (Unless there's somewhere better in clearing I can get into), or resit, get at least ABB, and apply to other Universities (On my list are Loughborough, Liverpool, Sussex, Brunel, Exeter, Leicester. There will be others but I stopped list making to start phoning).

[INDENT]I'd like the chance to try for Lancaster again, which this year was ABB, however next year they're asking for AAB. That alone makes me want to go for a A in Further Maths as well, which is risky, though I'd have the other ABB Universities to fall back on. There's also the option of going to Brunel after resitting anyway, as my grades would fit the requirements.[/INDENT]

[INDENT]The biggest thing sticking in my mind is deciding between Brunel and other Universities. Brunel have stayed put in the Mechanical Engineering tables, (27 to 25), but have soared overall. Their required grades are going from around BBB/ABB (BEng/MEng), to ABB/AAA. That alone suggests Brunel is/will be a great University, and level or above any other I have hopes for next year. It just niggles away at me that I've never heard of this Uni, I've never been, and they might just be selling me lies. It appears that they will climb the tables next year, but right now they're below a fair chunk of other good Universities. It seems to good to be true that I can make my way on to an AAA course after achieving just BBC.
[/INDENT]

That's basically it, there's all my thoughts for you to digest if you want. I don't know what's the best decision. The safest choice would be to resit, giving me the option of Brunel next year anyway, but there's always a risk to saying I will get ABB. Although I'm 5 marks from an A, and 35 marks from a B in further maths, with three exams on which there's a lot of marks to be made. The chances of getting an A are slim, but possible. I could also take a relatively easy A Level in one year to try for an A.

What would you do in my position? For engineering, is Brunel worth going to? Rankings suggest a better degree could be earned at Brunel rather than a slightly worse degree at a better University.

One last thought; It's in the back of my mind that the worst case scenario is to resit a year, finish with ABC, and not get into any of the Universities I want to. Unlikely, but possible.

Thank you for your time, and for reading this. I understand I'm not in a bad situation, after all I'm guaranteed Brunel if I want to be. I just want to give my thoughts to people who know what they're on about, which are people on this forum, (and certainly not my mother).
Original post by icki
After writing this, I've realised it's very long winded. However I want to put down all my thoughts and let other minds process them, to get the best outcome.

Short questions to people who could help but don't want to read all this:
1) Brunel University or University Of Leicester as a clearing choice?
2) Resit the year to open up more University choices next year, whilst effectively retaining the option to go to Brunel/Leicester?
3)Brunel vs other ABB/AAB Universities?

I'm in a position where I've missed my firm and insurance offers, (ABB and BBB respectively), and instead obtained BBC, (Maths, Physics Further Maths).

However, I have been through clearing, and currently hold an offer from Brunel University, and I'm unsure if I've chosen the right University, or even made the right decision to go to University this year. The other option would be to resit, and get at least ABB in the same subjects, (For the purposes of this thread, I'm assuming I'm definitely getting ABB, something is seriously wrong if didn't manage to).

Now I've made plenty of phone calls to Universities regarding getting a place through clearing this year, and what my chances are of getting a place next year with the above grades.

[INDENT]About half the 'clearing list' was made up of foundation courses - I had been hoping to take an intermediate year at an AAB/AAA standard University, to get on the full course afterwards. None of them said that would be possible, but I misunderstood foundation degrees anyway. [/INDENT]

[INDENT]The other half other the clearing list is made up from Uni's I could get into now, chosen by myself based largely on rankings, but also other written sources to reduce the options. I currently hold offers from Brunel University and University of Leicester. As I type, I've accepted the Brunel offer knowing I can reject that now, and accept Leicester instead if the place is still available.
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]
The other list consists of ABB/AAB Universities which I think I stand a real chance of getting into next year, (I'm asking the AAB uni's out of hope really). I've not finished, but of the ones I've phoned they say resitting will not harm my chances, but the also say further maths will give no advantage. However, if I were to get ABB by March 2013, any offers would be Unconditional so I wouldn't be fighting anyone for a place.[/INDENT]

Options
The two main options are to go to Brunel/Leicester this year (Unless there's somewhere better in clearing I can get into), or resit, get at least ABB, and apply to other Universities (On my list are Loughborough, Liverpool, Sussex, Brunel, Exeter, Leicester. There will be others but I stopped list making to start phoning).

[INDENT]I'd like the chance to try for Lancaster again, which this year was ABB, however next year they're asking for AAB. That alone makes me want to go for a A in Further Maths as well, which is risky, though I'd have the other ABB Universities to fall back on. There's also the option of going to Brunel after resitting anyway, as my grades would fit the requirements.[/INDENT]

[INDENT]The biggest thing sticking in my mind is deciding between Brunel and other Universities. Brunel have stayed put in the Mechanical Engineering tables, (27 to 25), but have soared overall. Their required grades are going from around BBB/ABB (BEng/MEng), to ABB/AAA. That alone suggests Brunel is/will be a great University, and level or above any other I have hopes for next year. It just niggles away at me that I've never heard of this Uni, I've never been, and they might just be selling me lies. It appears that they will climb the tables next year, but right now they're below a fair chunk of other good Universities. It seems to good to be true that I can make my way on to an AAA course after achieving just BBC.
[/INDENT]

That's basically it, there's all my thoughts for you to digest if you want. I don't know what's the best decision. The safest choice would be to resit, giving me the option of Brunel next year anyway, but there's always a risk to saying I will get ABB. Although I'm 5 marks from an A, and 35 marks from a B in further maths, with three exams on which there's a lot of marks to be made. The chances of getting an A are slim, but possible. I could also take a relatively easy A Level in one year to try for an A.

What would you do in my position? For engineering, is Brunel worth going to? Rankings suggest a better degree could be earned at Brunel rather than a slightly worse degree at a better University.

One last thought; It's in the back of my mind that the worst case scenario is to resit a year, finish with ABC, and not get into any of the Universities I want to. Unlikely, but possible.

Thank you for your time, and for reading this. I understand I'm not in a bad situation, after all I'm guaranteed Brunel if I want to be. I just want to give my thoughts to people who know what they're on about, which are people on this forum, (and certainly not my mother).

I'll be watching this thread. I'm in a slightly similar position. I missed my firm and got in to my insurance with grades ABB which is Leicester. Leicester seems to rank highly in every league table but I'm still not confident that it's a good university. I'm also looking to study mechanical engineering and it doesn't rank in mech eng tables. It only ranks in general engineering where it comes 4th in the guardian and 17th in thecompleteuniversityguide.
Ignore newspaper league tables, no-one actually pays any attention to them apart from prospective students and university marketing departments.

If you like Brunel or Leicester then go to them. If you don't then take a year out and apply to somewhere that you do like.
Reply 3
@IcedTea
I forgot about that, but it was quite odd when I saw that. Not be rude to other Universities or any students at them, but looking at the bottom of the Mechanical Engineering tables, you expect Leicester to at least be on the table and above some of the lower ranked Universities. Especially with their asking grades and positions on other tables like you mentioned.

That alone shouldn't be enough to discount Leicester from my options, but I've been thinking on my own anyway that Brunel is about as good as I can do with BBC, regarding the quality of the final degree. I just don't know how much I will enjoy it.

I know that had I got into Lancaster, I wouldn't regret it and it would easily be the best year of my life and for years to come. Many of my friends went and it's a good course with good structure. I'm tempted to have another crack at it but I need AAB this time, but fear of failure is holding me back. I also don't want to pass up the chance to get on a course that would require AAA.

Quick Reply

Latest