The Student Room Group

Is it only me who thinks OCR have given a lot of incorrect exam results?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I believe I was told by my teacher that once you've had a paper returned to you; it cannot be remarked, so please be careful of that.
I've requested re-marks on two OCR papers, i'll post back with results.
Reply 42
Original post by brittanna
I would probably ask for your paper back rather than get it remarked.

Yeah that's what i'll plan on doing first cause it's safer for my psychology tutor to go through with it with me and if it is genuinely a D then i'll know where i went wrong and i can work towards a resit! Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 43
Original post by Garrow1564
? ? There was a discrepancy in my R.E. and it was remarked (paid for by the college) it turned to be correctly marked and I resat and got an A (rather than a C) my point being if you are unsure ask your sixth form; but if it marked correctly do not give up! I understand your frustration because I studied tirelessly too, it was worth it in the end, though. :smile:

Thank you, I'm really determined to know why I got a D and where I went wrong :P

Reply 44
I believe I was told by my teacher that once you've had a paper returned to you; it cannot be remarked, so please be careful of that.

Oh? Really? Ok i'll ask my teacher about it, don't worry

My school do CIE, and are positive that this year's results are messed up. let me explain:

A straight A student (who was on a full scholarship) was predicted straight A's. She went into her exam fully prepared and came out with E's.

Another scholar was predicted 3 A's. He got CDD. He didn't mess about all year either.

Our entire economics result was a shocker. No one passed, which makes absolutely no sense.

So was physics. Everyone got one grade less than their predicited marks.

School's appealing against the result, and almost my entire year are going for re-checks.

I read this article in the DM (yes I know, not the most reliable, but still) about exam boards wanting to stop grade inflation, so they decided to be particularly strict this year. Sounds legit; this years physics P2 thresh-hold was a mofo 32/60. Shocker, as only 5 people got an A in a class of 50-something. We are completely baffled-our teacher was dedicated and everyone was prepared to the best of their abilities. Ww were expecting at least 15 A's.

So yeah, something is a little off with the result this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by mkhan9035
i knew the answers by heart from all the exam practice

i think you may have failed to adress the exact question as you answered a previous years question. You cant just memorise stuff, you need to think for yourself.
Original post by i_like_cheese
My school do CIE, and are positive that this year's results are messed up. let me explain:

A straight A student (who was on a full scholarship) was predicted straight A's. She went into her exam fully prepared and came out with E's.

Another scholar was predicted 3 A's. He got CDD. He didn't mess about all year either.

Our entire economics result was a shocker. No one passed, which makes absolutely no sense.

So was physics. Everyone got one grade less than their predicited marks.

School's appealing against the result, and almost my entire year are going for re-checks.

I read this article in the DM (yes I know, not the most reliable, but still) about exam boards wanting to stop grade inflation, so they were particularly strict this year. Sounds legit; this years physics P2 thresh-hold was a mofo 32/60. Shocker, as only 5 people got an A in a class of 50-something. We are completely baffled-we had a good teacher and everyone was prepared to the best of their abilities, and were expecting at least 15 A's.

So yeah, something is a little off with the result this year.

My practical skills for Bio was a bit off. I was expecting 36/40 which is 48UMS but i got 42 UMS which is 33/40. Quite a few people in ym class an issue like this as well.
Reply 48
Perhaps the examiner you had didn't like your answers /writing style , which happens in essay based subjects (which is why I dropped Geography) . Remark, and if it doesn't change resit it in January.
(edited 11 years ago)

Original post by mkhan9035
Oh? Really? Ok i'll ask my teacher about it, don't worry

It's only if you request the original script back, if you get a photocopy it can still be remarked.
Reply 50

that's if you get the original script, if you get a copy you can get a remark
Would you recommend asking for a remark from ocr if your actual grade was way below what you expected after the exam? As I received a low D in my chemistry unit 2 exam after getting As and Bs in all the practice papers I did, and finding the exam relatively okay.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire C
Reply 52
How did everyone do in psychology g542?

Reply 53
Original post by alicevictoriaxxx
Would you recommend asking for a remark from ocr if your actual grade was way below what you expected after the exam? As I received a low D in my chemistry unit 2 exam after getting As and Bs in all the practice papers I did, and finding the exam relatively okay.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire C

That is the same position I am in, i got a D for the main exam and an A for the small module bringing it to an overall C and i asked my teacher why i did so bad even though i know i knew everything and she said that a level exams are marked much more harshly, but she will ask for my script back so do ask for a remark if you don't believe that grade reflects your potential

Reply 54
Original post by lubus
i think you may have failed to adress the exact question as you answered a previous years question. You cant just memorise stuff, you need to think for yourself.

No the questions for a certain part of the section are the same on every exam paper so why should it be wrong?

I would ask for a remark if you're convinced that you deserve a better grade but I wouldn't expect it to improve too much, if at all. Something similar happened to me but with WJEC, I knew I'd done well on my French speaking exam but they gave me an E. I got it remarked and it only went up to a D. After speaking to our Head of Languages he agreed that this particular exam had been marked very harshly. It's probably the same thing with OCR.
If you think its incorrect ask for a remark. Simples.
Isn't OCR the easiest and lenient for Economics?
Reply 58
The same happened to me with my AS History, I had been getting A's and a few B's in both my British History and European History past/practise essays. The exams seem to have been okish, I am always self critical after exams anyway but I thought that I had done ok. I got my results last thursday and I got an E in British History and C in European History so I came out with a D overall. I am so confused as History has been my best and favourite subject and I thought I would have done ok with me being consistent with A's and a few B's in past essay questions. I justs don't understand where I have gone wrong at all.
I got in contact with my exams officer and she said that she's requesting my paper back for British History as I did the worst in that one as a priority script (saying to OCR that the intention of this would be a remark) so that I can go through it with my teacher to see if it was me or if the marking is wrong, then the decision for a remark would be made. It seems like OCR has messed up a lot with other people's results. It is just really unusual for me to do so bad in a subject that I'm normally good at.
Reply 59
Well harsh marking seems to be a common trend with all exam boards and even GCSEs! I think every student can agree examiners are just horrible people :P

Quick Reply

Latest