The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

First year courses for Accounting/Fin advice

I understand that it is compulsory to take Econs 102 and AC100. But can someone give me some advice on the Math choices. I have taken A levels Math. I believe that we have to choose either probability /Statistics ( ST 108), Quantitative Mathe and Quantitative methods stats( MA107/ST107) or Elementary Statistical Theory ST102 . What is a popular choice and which one easiest to score.?

For the last option, we can either take Mathematical Methods or Quantitative Methods ( is this only for students with no A level Math or open to all?) and where do i find the outside options courses. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Pauly
I understand that it is compulsory to take Econs 102 and AC100. But can someone give me some advice on the Math choices. I have taken A levels Math. I believe that we have to choose either probability /Statistics ( ST 108), Quantitative Mathe and Quantitative methods stats( MA107/ST107) or Elementary Statistical Theory ST102 . What is a popular choice and which one easiest to score.?

For the last option, we can either take Mathematical Methods or Quantitative Methods ( is this only for students with no A level Math or open to all?) and where do i find the outside options courses. Thanks

Hi, I'm also trying to decide what options to study, I was thinking of doing ST102 and the MA100 as I think Maths is one of my stronger points but if anyone has done these how did you find them? And was lse your firm choice? :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Yes.lse is my firm. Where are you from? I am from Thailand. Good to know a friend. Which hall are you staying? I am at Bankside. I am keen to know answers for your query too.
I heard though that Math at LSE is totally not the same as A levels ie practice may not be the key to scoring well.
Reply 3
Original post by Pauly
Yes.lse is my firm. Where are you from? I am from Thailand. Good to know a friend. Which hall are you staying? I am at Bankside. I am keen to know answers for your query too.
I heard though that Math at LSE is totally not the same as A levels ie practice may not be the key to scoring well.

Yeah same for me, I'm from London and yeah its nice to know someone else going to lse lol. I'm going to live at home though moving out would be to expensive for me! Also I have a 3 year old daughter so I wouldn't be able to stay in halls! What a levels did you do abd how were your results? I did Psychology Law and Maths and got A*AA and yeah I read that too that it's more of having a wider understanding or something like that right? But at least for first year we only take results from 3 of the 4 modules and take an average so at least we have a little room for error just incase we struggle with something :smile:
Reply 4
Guys when do we get to pick our first year modules?
Reply 5
Original post by Alpha5

Once you have your IT details you should be able to log into LSE For You and select your modules. I know last year I chose my modules in September so the service should be available soon :smile:
Reply 6
Of the choices you have, MA100 and ST102 are the more difficult options. MA100 is a fairly similar style of Maths to what you will have encountered at A Level, although obviously in a lot more detail, the same goes for ST102. If you enjoyed A Level Maths and/or plan on taking 2nd and 3rd year Maths or Statistics courses, or some of the more mathematical Economics courses then I'd definitely recommend MA100 and ST102. If Maths maybe wasn't your favourite subject and you don't plan to do any more after 1st year and want an "easier" option then maybe the Quantitative Methods courses would be best. Although speaking from personal experience, MA100 and ST102 are certainly very manageable as long as you put in a reasonable amount of work, so if I was in your shoes that's what I'd go for as it leaves more doors open for you with your 2nd and 3rd year choices.
Reply 7
Original post by Setrith
Of the choices you have, MA100 and ST102 are the more difficult options. MA100 is a fairly similar style of Maths to what you will have encountered at A Level, although obviously in a lot more detail, the same goes for ST102. If you enjoyed A Level Maths and/or plan on taking 2nd and 3rd year Maths or Statistics courses, or some of the more mathematical Economics courses then I'd definitely recommend MA100 and ST102. If Maths maybe wasn't your favourite subject and you don't plan to do any more after 1st year and want an "easier" option then maybe the Quantitative Methods courses would be best. Although speaking from personal experience, MA100 and ST102 are certainly very manageable as long as you put in a reasonable amount of work, so if I was in your shoes that's what I'd go for as it leaves more doors open for you with your 2nd and 3rd year choices.

Oh ok yeah I think I'm going to go for the MA100 and ST102 then so I do have some more options for second and third year. Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Alpha5

Are you doing accounting and finance too? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by reb306
Are you doing accounting and finance too? :smile:

Yep
Reply 10
Original post by Alpha5
Yep

What options are you thinking if taking?
Reply 11
Incoming first year accounting student here! Planning to do ST102 and an outside option since I don't really like math, hence skipping MA100. The history courses are really interesting imo. How important is MA100 anyway? I mean it doesn't really seem to have an impact on other 2nd and 3rd year choices, plus the course structure is pretty rigid as it is.
If you're not planning on taking more advanced MA or ST courses in the future and if you have A2 maths then take ST/MA107. This will open up an option in your first year where you may study something outside the department. A popular choice is PH101 Logic because it is very easy to score a 1st in.
Reply 13
Original post by Hanne93
Incoming first year accounting student here! Planning to do ST102 and an outside option since I don't really like math, hence skipping MA100. The history courses are really interesting imo. How important is MA100 anyway? I mean it doesn't really seem to have an impact on other 2nd and 3rd year choices, plus the course structure is pretty rigid as it is.

Hey! I don't think its that important really I think you only really need it if you want to do any outside math modules during 2nd/3rd year. So if you want to do an different option then go for it! I was thinking of doing MA100 because I think I'm good with Maths but I'm still not sure about it yet. I think I'll do an easy outside option in maybe 2nd or 3rd year as it would be worth more overall!
Reply 14
Original post by reb306
What options are you thinking if taking?

To be honest I don't really know. But taking a quick look through the options AC100, EC102, probably ST102 and MA100. I got A* in A level maths ( don't remember nothing), but never done further math, so will I struggle with MA100, it seems quite difficult? What's your opinion on other combinations?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Setrith

For MA100 and ST102 what kind of mathematical ability do you need prior, as I'm okay at statistics, better with pure after some recapping! Thanks
Reply 16
Original post by Alpha5
To be honest I don't really know. But taking a quick look through the options AC100, EC102, probably ST102 and MA100. I got A* in A level maths ( don't remember nothing), but never done further math, so will I struggle with MA100, it seems quite difficult? What's your opinion on other combinations?

I haven't done further maths myself either but I think like the other guy said if you put the work in I guess we shouldn't really struggle. I think you only need the ma100 to do some of the other Maths modules as outside options in other years but if not it doesn't really matter which options you take I think the two half modules should be alright to do and people say that they are a bit easier or maybe the st102 and an outside option if you wanted to do that
Reply 17
Original post by Alpha5
For MA100 and ST102 what kind of mathematical ability do you need prior, as I'm okay at statistics, better with pure after some recapping! Thanks

MA100 assumes that you've got a good grasp of A Level Maths, which I'm assuming you do if you met the condition of your offer. It moves fairly quickly though and it can be easy to fall behind, so I'd recommend taking a couple of days to read through your A Level notes on differentiation, functions, vectors and matrices. You'd be surprised at how much you can forget in the space of a couple of months so it's definitely worth giving your memory a quick refresher on those topics, just to get yourself up to speed for the initial weeks.

As for ST102, I personally don't think it's necessary to prepare for it, as literally everything from GCSE level up is taught from scratch and the pace at the start of first term is fairly slow.

One bit of advice for both courses is to keep up with everything week by week. It sounds pretty obvious, but week 2 content builds on the stuff from week 1, then week 3 builds on weeks 1 and 2, week 4 builds on weeks 1,2 and 3 and so on. So if you miss a lecture and can't really be bothered to catch up, chances are you won't be able to do that week's excercise. Then in the next lecture you'll be lost and won't be able to do that week's exercise either, then before you know it you won't have a clue what's going on and it becomes almost impossible to catch up. The courses certainly aren't easy and you're going to have to do a reasonable amount of work, but you wouldn't have got an offer if LSE didn't think you were capable of doing well, so as long as you keep up with everything week by week then you'll be fine.
Reply 18
Original post by Setrith
MA100 assumes that you've got a good grasp of A Level Maths, which I'm assuming you do if you met the condition of your offer. It moves fairly quickly though and it can be easy to fall behind, so I'd recommend taking a couple of days to read through your A Level notes on differentiation, functions, vectors and matrices. You'd be surprised at how much you can forget in the space of a couple of months so it's definitely worth giving your memory a quick refresher on those topics, just to get yourself up to speed for the initial weeks.

As for ST102, I personally don't think it's necessary to prepare for it, as literally everything from GCSE level up is taught from scratch and the pace at the start of first term is fairly slow.

One bit of advice for both courses is to keep up with everything week by week. It sounds pretty obvious, but week 2 content builds on the stuff from week 1, then week 3 builds on weeks 1 and 2, week 4 builds on weeks 1,2 and 3 and so on. So if you miss a lecture and can't really be bothered to catch up, chances are you won't be able to do that week's excercise. Then in the next lecture you'll be lost and won't be able to do that week's exercise either, then before you know it you won't have a clue what's going on and it becomes almost impossible to catch up. The courses certainly aren't easy and you're going to have to do a reasonable amount of work, but you wouldn't have got an offer if LSE didn't think you were capable of doing well, so as long as you keep up with everything week by week then you'll be fine.

Yeah I was close to an A* but ended up with an A overall for maths, I've got notes on all of those except for matrices which we didn't do on my course, do you think I should try and go through this on my own (is it doable?) And I think for ST102 I might just go through probability if I have time as that's the one thing I kind of struggled with with statistics. Thanks for the advice, I'm really going to try and get organised during my first year and stick to a timetable for everything as I'm hoping for a first so I'll definetely be putting the work in!
Reply 19
Original post by reb306
Yeah I was close to an A* but ended up with an A overall for maths, I've got notes on all of those except for matrices which we didn't do on my course, do you think I should try and go through this on my own (is it doable?) And I think for ST102 I might just go through probability if I have time as that's the one thing I kind of struggled with with statistics. Thanks for the advice, I'm really going to try and get organised during my first year and stick to a timetable for everything as I'm hoping for a first so I'll definetely be putting the work in!

I wouldn't worry about not getting an A* as it can be easy to miss out on, one silly mistake in C3/C4 and that's it out the window. If you've never done matrices before then I'd recommend looking up some of the introductory stuff online, khanacademy.org is generally pretty good and I'm sure it's got plenty on matrices. So maybe spend a few hours learning the basics on matrices and have a quick read through your calculus and probability notes from school and you'll be in a good position at the start of term. Don't worry about it too much though, enjoy your last few weeks of freedom as the terms at LSE can get pretty intense at times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending