The Student Room Group

is 100kg a good DL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tooosh
I meant that you started relatively high and as it was your first time, you wouldn't have had the motor control or body awareness to control your lower back. Of course, if you did a lot of form work with lower weights after seeing how much you could get up, I take it back.

Yh, i just started off at like 40, went up to 60, then 80 and couldn't get past that.
80, is not much at all. I've got a gym in my garden, and my grandad (who is 75 and i think has never lifted) went and picked up 60 which my brother had been snatching.
Reply 21
Good for that bw and that amount of training I'd say. Mines 110 and it took me a fair few months to get there, I blame being 6'5.
Reply 22
Original post by bestofyou
For 1 set x5 after 60x5 and 70x5 warm ups? Its my 5th week into a new training program and the DL had been left out of all my previous programs so I have no idea really what is a good lift. I'm 62-64kgs btw

At <70kg I'd say you're not approaching 'good' until you hit 180kg for a single. Though obviously everyoe has different perspectives, in some gyms a 4 plate pull will turn heads regardless if the guy doing it would get blown over by a stiff breeze.

Who cares what's 'good' though. Progress is what matters. If you progress from 40kg to 100kg, that's better than the guy who pulls 220 the first time he tries but is stuck at that weight his entire training career.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23

It's alright for someone of your training history. For a good deadlift at your bodyweight I'd say 130x5, and for a strong deadlift 155x5. It's a lot of work but who knows, you might have a lot of natural potential.
Reply 24
Within 6 months of lifting my dl approached 2.8 xbw and then snapppppppeddddd
Original post by HFerguson

I remember when I first started deadlifting and only did 50kg

I started on 50kg too.... DL is an awful lift for me.
Reply 26
Original post by McHumpy92
No..most lads should be able to rep it without training it.

I really doubt that, unless they weighed close to that. It's like that stat always you hear about the average untrained bench being 50kg, most people I know started on like 30kg if not less if they were skinny.
Original post by liftorrot
Within 6 months of lifting my dl approached 2.8 xbw and then snapppppppeddddd

That sounds painful! What exactly happened, were you at fault?
i was DLING 100kg when i was 15... just keep working at it
Original post by Old School
No.

Double bodyweight is the lower end of 'good'.

I'm making gains using just 50kg, and no I'm not a beginner, I'm 185 pounds at 6'1, 11% BF

I'm not doing more than 60KG on DL, that's your back guys.. lmao
Reply 30
Original post by silent ninja
That sounds painful! What exactly happened, were you at fault?

Still remember that day 5th April first time had caffeine (was awake for over 40 hrs) and creatine +whey..... Even though it wasn't my pb , went for volume pb ... Form detoriated and here I am =[
Messed my si joint which to this day hasn't recovered to 100%
Reply 31
No..most lads should be able to rep it without training it.

No, that's a sweeping statement and a dumb generalisation
Original post by liftorrot
Still remember that day 5th April first time had caffeine (was awake for over 40 hrs) and creatine +whey..... Even though it wasn't my pb , went for volume pb ... Form detoriated and here I am =[
Messed my si joint which to this day hasn't recovered to 100%

Can you squat?

As you get older (16+) you just don't heal fully from injuries. Hopefully you can get to 90% and learn to work with it.
Reply 33
Original post by ceris
No, that's a sweeping statement and a dumb generalisation

OK, most my friends could. The typical geeky non sport playing kid that spent his whole teenage years on his xbox probably couldn't.
Reply 34
OK, most my friends could. The typical geeky non sport playing kid that spent his whole teenage years on his xbox probably couldn't.

I was a fairly shut-in "xbox playing" kid as you put it, I hit 100kg pretty much immediately, and I owe that to genetic factors like my height, arm length (6'0 with relatively long arms) etc. And I've seen avid rugby players struggle with getting 80/90 after multiple attempts. Consider genetics before anything else.
Reply 35
For 1 set x5 after 60x5 and 70x5 warm ups? Its my 5th week into a new training program and the DL had been left out of all my previous programs so I have no idea really what is a good lift. I'm 62-64kgs btw

Twice body weight is good, but I'd expect you start at 1.4x body weight (roughly).
Reply 36
I really believe all strength training should start from the bare minimum so as to guarantee good form. I read somewhere that you should lift your light weights as if they were heavy. I started a strength routine with just the 20kg on squats, bench press and overhead press, and only 40kg total for deadlift. Form is crucial. Do not let your ego get the better of you.
Reply 37
I'm a 50 year old female and started lifting 3 months ago. I can deadlift 95 . I can't shift 100kg what am I doing wrong.
Original post by redbuthotter
I started on 50kg too.... DL is an awful lift for me.

how much can u do now???
Original post by Samdev65
I'm a 50 year old female and started lifting 3 months ago. I can deadlift 95 . I can't shift 100kg what am I doing wrong.

Can you rep 95kg?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest