The Student Room Group

HELP?! I don't know what course to take in uni

err, i'm new to this site, so apologies for placing this in the wrong place.
Hey, so i'm currently in year 12, going into year 13 in september 2012 taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology as my AS levels but i'm dropping Maths for A2 this September. I'm really stuck on what to choose for a course to do in uni.
Everyone around me has already chosen and here i am, lost and confused. I don't want a course to do with medicine. I was looking to do a business course, totally out of my element, but i'm just sick of sciences tbh. I'm just scared because time's running out.
Any help or advice please and thankyou.:smile:
Reply 1
bumpp
Reply 2
What are you good at, and what do you enjoy?
Firstly, don't rush to make a decision you might regret! If you're not sure, you can always take a gap year and apply next year - I've got friends who've done that, and it means that they're going into uni more sure than they might otherwise have been that they're doing the right course for them.

What are your interests? What subject do you enjoy the most? What are you good at? It's important that you do something that you're interested in and enjoy at uni - if you enjoy something, you'll be far more likely to do well. :smile:
Reply 4
i'm interested in mental health, but i don't want to be a mental health nurse, i want to specialize in mental health but i don't know what course to take in uni
Reply 5
Original post by mudbl00d
i'm interested in mental health, but i don't want to be a mental health nurse, i want to specialize in mental health but i don't know what course to take in uni

Occupational therapists can deal quite heavily in mental health?
If you genuinely don't know, don't apply just for the sake of it. Firstly, don't panic. You've still got a long time until the deadline, unless you're applying to Oxford or Cambridge, which I assume you're not planning to.

If you're interested in mental health, have you considered psychology? Whilst abnormal psychology is not a major part of the course, it does still come up in a lot of modules, and it would give you a good grounding to go into that area as a career. However, psychology is competative, and it is quite a lot of work, so if you're not passionate about it, it's not a good idea to take it to further study.

You also mentioned business. Perhaps you could explain what aspect of that interests you?

You don't need to apply to university this year. Are you sure you even want to go? There's no point just picking something, and hoping you'll enjoy it, to be honest. You need to think about what you want to do with the rest of your life, which is a big decision and 17. You could take a year out, after sixth form, and work or travel. The extra time might give you a chance to find something you want as a career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending