The Student Room Group

Does it matter what uni i go to ?

I didn't get the results i needed for my conditional offer at Glasgow university so i then went into clearing and received an offer from the university west of scotland (UWS) to do the same course i would be sitting at Glasgow, but i was wondering would it be better to go to college to do a HND then apply again to to one of the top universities (Glasgow, Strathclyde..) or to go to UWS ?. My main question is in the long run does it matter what university you go to ? as i have been looking at ranking tables and UWS is at the bottom for scottish universities.
Reply 1
A lot of people I've spoken to who have degrees have said it doesn't in the real world. Right now it feels like the most important thing in the world, but to be honest, unless you've gone to a Uni with a REALLY good reputation like Oxford/Cambridge/etc., a degree's a degree. I don't think employers would put too much weight on where you got it.
Reply 2
Original post by BenEwing

Whats wrong? That person gave a good response lol.
Reply 3
There is a lot of emphasis on league tables and it's pretty annoying. In some ways they also seem to contradict themselves, for example the general league tables obviously have the likes of Oxford & cambridge at the top but if you were to look at a subject league table uni's you probably wouldn't think of come top or pretty close which in my opinion contradicts everything! In my opinion what uni you go to doesn't 100% matter unless your at Oxford, cambridge etc which for the majority isn't the case. Go where your happy and study what your comfortable studying, then your more likely to do well and be more confident :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending