The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

I feel like Milan's plan was simply to sit back and counter. Bacca was taken off for that exact reason. Menez then ended up playing in midfield. Their aim was a draw or better and they got it. Napoli got extremely lucky with the manner of their goal. I don't even think you can blame the goalkeeper for that when you consider it took a huge deflection and the keeper's 6ft 5m. (age 16 ffs, he should be playing in the NBA)

Actually a nice cameo from Balotelli as well. Held the ball up well and showed a few tricks.
Original post by jam277
I feel like Milan's plan was simply to sit back and counter. Bacca was taken off for that exact reason. Menez then ended up playing in midfield. Their aim was a draw or better and they got it. Napoli got extremely lucky with the manner of their goal. I don't even think you can blame the goalkeeper for that when you consider it took a huge deflection and the keeper's 6ft 5m. (age 16 ffs, he should be playing in the NBA)

Actually a nice cameo from Balotelli as well. Held the ball up well and showed a few tricks.

Pleased for Mario, especially after last week when Berlusconi said he was "too tanned".
From the way Serie A started I thought we'd be seeing a title challenge between different teams. Nope, same old story - Juventus winning the title yet again.
Napoli drew 1-1 with Fiorentina last night, so the gap at the top is still 4 points and you reckon Juventus should canter to the league title from here.

Alonso scored for Fiorentina, and seconds later gave away a penalty for Higuain to equalise.
Yet another damp squib of a season in Italy with Juve winning easily and the 'battle' for top 3 looking finished.

Very disappointing.

Even the relegation battle is boring.Just two teams in it now.Carpi and Palermo.

Wouldn't want to call this.Palermo have Verona on the last day and I know next to nothing about Italian soccer so not sure how much Verona would even be trying....

Not to mention.......

Spoiler

Fair play to Napoli. They won't win Serie A, of course but they're running Juventus close - and I didn't expect them to after they lost Higuain to that red card and suspension last weekend.

Juve did well to overturn the deficit against Milan, and you imagine Napoli will slip up during this run of games without Higuain.

Inter and Roma are two of their next three matches.
Big game tonight. Imagine if this game was 15 years ago, what a spectacle that would be. If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, it's AC vs Juve in the coppa italia final tonight.
Reply 1187
I don't like neither Juventus nor Milan, but today night I hope that Juventus wins the Coppa Italia final for seeing playing the imho sympathetic team of Sassuolo in the Europa League 2015/16.
Juventus become the first club to win the Serie A league title and Coppa Italia for two consecutive years.
Reply 1189
But I must confess that Milan has played a really great match yesterday night... even if I think that it's OK that Juventus has won also the Coppa Italia also because Milan has performed really bad with Cristian Brocchi... but Silvio Berlusconi wants to have managers which he can command.
Original post by wotaaa
But I must confess that Milan has played a really great match yesterday night... even if I think that it's OK that Juventus has won also the Coppa Italia also because Milan has performed really bad with Cristian Brocchi... but Silvio Berlusconi wants to have managers which he can command.

To be honest, Berlusconi needs to sell up - by I can't see that happening. Milan are nowhere near the force they were initially, and they should be looking to grow internationally considering you see the emergence of some clubs with new power. Milan need new financial backing and new clout.
Just found this thread!!
I'm a massive Udinese fan, and its great the pozzo's have sold Granada so they can concentrate on Udinese and Watford.
Also how do we think Italy will do at the Euro's, i think they wont get out of the group!!
Reply 1192
Personally think Italy will get to the quarters. Possibly semis. Conte is a very accomplished coach.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Personally think Italy will get to the quarters. Possibly semis. Conte is a very accomplished coach.

I'm not too sure, personally I think its a very average squad with no real striker of quality and with no Marchisio and Verratti, I can't see them being able to control the midfield. That being said the " BBC" at the back with Buffon are good enough to keep clean sheets, even if I can't see them scoring much.
Reply 1194
Original post by thatapanydude
I'm not too sure, personally I think its a very average squad with no real striker of quality and with no Marchisio and Verratti, I can't see them being able to control the midfield. That being said the " BBC" at the back with Buffon are good enough to keep clean sheets, even if I can't see them scoring much.

Up top it's quite poor(in comparison to the days of Cassano/Di Natale/Balotelli in 2012 or before hand with Del Piero/Totti and Luca Toni) but Florenzi, De Rossi, Motta, Montolivo is not a bad midfield.
(edited 7 years ago)
Always wishing Italy well. No better international team to watch when they're at their best.
Reply 1196
Yeah. France and Italy are my two favourite international sides personally.

Up top it's quite poor(in comparison to the days of Cassano/Di Natale/Balotelli in 2012 or before hand with Del Piero/Totti and Luca Toni) but Florenzi, De Rossi, Motta, Montolivo is not a bad midfield.

Who isn't poor up top, though? Spain's strikers won't set the world alight - and the same can be said of France and Germany. To be honest, there's an argument for saying England have one of the best strike-forces in the tournament.
Reply 1198
Original post by Mackay
Who isn't poor up top, though? Spain's strikers won't set the world alight - and the same can be said of France and Germany. To be honest, there's an argument for saying England have one of the best strike-forces in the tournament.

France depending on who they actually use up top(i.e. Griezmann) and obviously England have a very good strike force.

A lot of top strikers have been left out.

A lot of top strikers have been left out.

Tournaments have a canny knack of throwing up unlikely golden boot winners. Milošević in 2000, Baros in 2004 etc.

Think we could see a similar sort of thing again.

Quick Reply

Latest