The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Seville beating Espanyol 6-4 and then Atleti thought they beat newly promoted Alaves in the 92nd minute with a penalty (very harsh on Alaves) before Manu equalised with a rocket with the last kick of the game. Real played well against La Real, Asensio's finish was sweet, a 3-0 away win without key players was huge.

We are in for a mad La Liga season!
Original post by Rk2k14
Suarez is definitely juicin. Madness.

£40m + £1... Go on, I suppose he is worth that extra quid.
Any idea when Ronaldo is expected to be back and starting?
Absolute cracking game between Valencia and Rayo. 3-2 to Rayo in the Mestalla all before the 40th minute! Neville has probably got a wide smile on his face at home.
Disgraceful and disgusting how Williams was abused against Sporting Gjion. The game was stopped and a message given over the PA system to tell the fans to stop the chants. This kind of behaviour needs to stamped out in La Liga.
^It seems it barely got any media attention, sadly. Excellent move by the referee. Imagine a paltry fine is forthcoming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK
^It seems it barely got any media attention, sadly. Excellent move by the referee. Imagine a paltry fine is forthcoming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even more disgraceful, that it's been ignored.
Dybala is potentially one of the most overrated players around atm. All this hype just because people see a vine or 15 second video of some free kick or skill, and cos he's mates with Pogba. I'd rather have SWP in his prime in my team.
Original post by richpanda
Dybala is potentially one of the most overrated players around atm. All this hype just because people see a vine or 15 second video of some free kick or skill, and cos he's mates with Pogba. I'd rather have SWP in his prime in my team.

Dybala is a striker and SWP was a right winger/midfielder, so that's a silly comparison isn't it...?

boy are you clueless

Mate I think you need to watch some Juve games before making a conclusion!!
Original post by Malevolent
Andre Gomes done, where the hell did that come from lol? Like this window. Just need a back up striker and it will have been a good window. That fraud Douglas is still there though so I guess it wasn't all great. :sad:

Douglas is gone to Sporting Gijon and we've got Paco Alacer. This window has been the best in a long while! :biggrin:
Original post by ratsgosqueak
Douglas is gone to Sporting Gijon and we've got Paco Alacer. This window has been the best in a long while! :biggrin:

Fantastic window for Barca.
Young players, most 23 year old reinforcing key areas. Umtiti at CB and Digne has been good and will hopefully push Alba, who has been stagnating in the past few seasons. Gomes and Suarez in midfield to phase out Iniesta, Xavi style, saving him for bigger games and Paco offering a different option upfront and allowing rotation of MSN. Turan had been superb in the front three role better than midfield. Munir has a lot of potential, I hope to see him back at Barca.

Got rid of the deadwood- Douglas, Adriano and Vermaelen.

Barca have a very strong squad now.
Umtiti, Gomes, Digne, Alcacer, Suarez and Rafinha aren't good enough for a Barca team as strong as 2008-2011 or the 2015 team.
Real Madrid have been unusually quiet. Their lowest spending summer since the year they bought Beckham...
Umtiti, Gomes, Digne, Alcacer, Suarez and Rafinha aren't good enough for a Barca team as strong as 2008-2011 or the 2015 team.

Good enough for the squad and are all under 23 years old so should improve with time.

Original post by IamJacksContempt
Real Madrid have been unusually quiet. Their lowest spending summer since the year they bought Beckham...

Indeed, with an impending transfer ban making it even more peculiar. Isco and James must be itching to leave.
Original post by Icecream1

Indeed, with an impending transfer ban making it even more peculiar. Isco and James must be itching to leave.

Perez and Zidane say it's hard to improve the squad.

Looking at the cover for Casemiro (non-existent) and for Carvajal (Danilo) I would tend to disagree.
Original post by tengentoppa
Perez and Zidane say it's hard to improve the squad.

Looking at the cover for Casemiro (non-existent) and for Carvajal (Danilo) I would tend to disagree.

Most would agree with you. Can you trust Nacho? Pepe is coming on a bit now and Varane hasn't improved much although he has been unlucky with injuries.
Original post by Icecream1
Most would agree with you. Can you trust Nacho? Pepe is coming on a bit now and Varane hasn't improved much although he has been unlucky with injuries.

If anything, Varane appears to have got worse. He seemed to peak in 2013. It's frustrating because you look at his pace, his aerial ability, his technique and his anticipation (sometimes) and you think he should be a world-class centre-back. But for whatever reason he seems to switch off or make stupid mistakes at the wrong time. He doesn't have a great record against Barca or Atletico either.

I'm really hoping this will be a breakthrough season for him, but if they're both fully fit there's no doubt that Pepe plays. Ancient or not, he's a level above Varane.

Nacho can be trusted to do a job against lesser la liga sides, but there's definitely a reason he's only played 80 or so games at the age of 26. Also, he's fourth choice centre-back so if he is playing he'll most likely be alongside Varane, which brings back memories of Atletico Madrid tearing them apart in 2015. So Nacho in a big game is not something I ever want to see again.

Compared to Danilo though, Nacho looks like Maldini.
Pepe's been in fine form for both club and country.

Latest