The Student Room Group

First week of Uni for living off campus?

Hey guys :smile:
I'm going to University of Cumbria in September to do Primary Education. The thing is, I only live a half hour bus ride away, so I'll be commuting.
I've been reading on here about Fresher's week and how most people spend it moving their stuff in, drinking, going out etc. At Cumbria, they call it Welcome Week, where we do some team building tasks, go on picnics...basically getting to know each other.

My question is: What are the people who live off campus supposed to do during the first few days before the activities start? Are we meant to wander round the campus hoping to meet someone? Lol I'm so scared of being stranded with no place to go. :colondollar:
Reply 1
Aren't there any societies you could sign up for?
Original post by Kukukichu
Aren't there any societies you could sign up for?

Cumbria is known to have little to offer society-wise. They have an SU but it's pretty quiet. :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Have you looked at the societies to see if theres anything of interest to you?
Reply 4
Hey!

I'm in exactly the same situation :smile:. Going to Cumbria, Fusehill St and I'm commuting by train. Where do you live? It'd take about 30 minutes on a bus for me too.

Cumbria do have a Freshers week, well fortnight, that evolves drinking. The welcome week is just the academic side of Freshers. We should be getting a timetable at some point. Only thing I'm worried about is how to get back home each night, public transport is pretty sparse late on.

I'm not going in before the 17th, the first day. I don't think we'll be at much of a disadvantage with meeting people because they just move in the day before.
Original post by sph_allinson
Hey!

I'm in exactly the same situation :smile:. Going to Cumbria, Fusehill St and I'm commuting by train. Where do you live? It'd take about 30 minutes on a bus for me too.

Cumbria do have a Freshers week, well fortnight, that evolves drinking. The welcome week is just the academic side of Freshers. We should be getting a timetable at some point. Only thing I'm worried about is how to get back home each night, public transport is pretty sparse late on.

I'm not going in before the 17th, the first day. I don't think we'll be at much of a disadvantage with meeting people because they just move in the day before.

Ah okay. I have the timetable for the welcome week already. Thing is, I don't drink, and the whole club scene isn't for me...will I only have to come in for the academic side of things, and then the course starts?
Reply 6
Original post by buildalegohouse
Ah okay. I have the timetable for the welcome week already. Thing is, I don't drink, and the whole club scene isn't for me...will I only have to come in for the academic side of things, and then the course starts?

Yeah the welcome week timetables been up for a while now. Not everyone will go out during freshers :smile:. There'll be some nights that are just film nights etc or alternative nights to going out drinking. But yeah freshers isn't forced on you, you can just come in for the welcome week and then start the teaching the next week.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by sph_allinson
Yeah the welcome week timetables been up for a while now. Not everyone will go out during freshers :smile:. There'll be some nights that are just film nights etc or alternative nights to going out drinking. But yeah freshers isn't forced on you, you can just come in for the welcome week and then start the teaching the next week.

Ah okay thankyou, this has kind of eased my mind a little. :smile: And I live just outside Lancaster to answer your question earlier. x
Reply 8
Which campus are you going to@
Reply 9
Original post by buildalegohouse
Ah okay thankyou, this has kind of eased my mind a little. :smile: And I live just outside Lancaster to answer your question earlier. x

No problem :smile:. Ah right I'm going to the Fusehill campus in Carlisle x

Original post by bownessie
Which campus are you going to@

Lancaster x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending