The Student Room Group

Can I have a student bank account twice?

I have already done the student thing and graduated but am crazy enough to have decided to be poor for yet another 4 years.

Anyway, for the first degree I had a RBS student account which changed to a graduate one when I finished. Can I ask for it to be reverted back to a student account (hopefully with the little added perks like a free rail card etc) or can I only have it once? Perhaps I'd need to open a second account or at a different bank?

Any tales of experience etc?
Reply 1
and bump...
Reply 2
will you be an undergraduate starting a new course?
Reply 3
You will need to contact your bank for a definitive answer.
Reply 4
Yes shiney new course at a shiney new uni. Its a second undergrad but im going direct into 2nd year so I dont know if that makes a difference.
Reply 5
Yes you will need to ask, but hopefully you can. Bit of a different situation but I just did a year, left and have switched to a normal current account. I asked if I could go back onto the student account once I start my new course next year and they said yes, but I'm with Santander.
Reply 6
If you did it with another bank just dont tell them that you have had one before. They probably wont work it out, just check their terms and conditions because it is a situation they may not have encountered before. If its not in their terms and conditions, they cant really penalise you for it if they work it out after the fact :p:
Reply 7
If you reverted your RBS one back into a student account (assuming it's possible), wouldn't your overdraft actually shrink?

Also as far as I know they no longer offer railcards. I may be wrong, but I remember trying to get mine a few months after I opened my account and computer said no. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by spongle

Also as far as I know they no longer offer railcards. I may be wrong, but I remember trying to get mine a few months after I opened my account and computer said no. :frown:

I think I read on here that you need to have an account with them for a certain amount of time if you want the railcard.
Reply 9
Original post by OU Student
I think I read on here that you need to have an account with them for a certain amount of time if you want the railcard.

Apparently only NatWest do the Railcard now but NatWest and RBS are the same company so I dont really understand why they dobt both do it. :/

Ill need to look into it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Cannot have 2 Student accounts afaik.
Original post by siwelmail
Cannot have 2 Student accounts afaik.

That's something different. You can only have one student account at once. Not what the OP is asking.
I'm in the same situation, OP. Quite a few banks seem to do 'postgraduate accounts'. I'm trying to find out which is the best, but there doesn't seem much between them.
Reply 13
Student accounts are usually offered on the assumption you have regular loan going in, you'd have to speak with your bank but I would have thought that should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending