The Student Room Group

Offcial Physics A thread for the G484 Jan Exam (Newtonian World)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tooty_fruit
Yeah the Bio practical boundaries were unfair. Although so were the chemistry ones according to people at my school! I'll just have to hope for fairly easy practicals and not screw up the evaluative - hardest one by far!

Definitely, such rubbish, got my biology exam remarked today so wish me luck!
Good Luck! haha
BUMP
I finished reading the book/guide you recommended earlier. Nothing looks to complex. Should be able to get a good grade in January. I'm more worried about the stupid coursework, for me OCR and coursework shouldn't go together. Hopefully start past papers late November, early January. what do you think of the course? :smile:
Original post by Lizard cream
I finished reading the book/guide you recommended earlier. Nothing looks to complex. Should be able to get a good grade in January. I'm more worried about the stupid coursework, for me OCR and coursework shouldn't go together. Hopefully start past papers late November, early January. what do you think of the course? :smile:

Nope not at all, I'm planning on staying ahead of everything, and maybe borrowing the ocr physics prac book, but one of my teachers preps us well for the pracs so that's good. Hmm yeah i'm planning on doing every past paper that i can get my hands on.. BRING IT ON! I think the course is very interesting wbu?
Original post by Theafricanlegend
Nope not at all, I'm planning on staying ahead of everything, and maybe borrowing the ocr physics prac book, but one of my teachers preps us well for the pracs so that's good. Hmm yeah i'm planning on doing every past paper that i can get my hands on.. BRING IT ON! I think the course is very interesting wbu?

I agree. There's a practical book. Why have I not heared of this? I must search for it now. We've got a teacher that only taught us once a week last year, and now he's doing full time. We're plowing the course at the moment so we will have loads of time for past papers. I can't really go ahead of the everything because he wants us to read and teach our selfs before every lesson and then he does a mini test at the start of each lesson. Then he teaches for the rest of the lesson. I prefer it this way as it stops the teacher from going off topic or badly describing the topic. :smile:
Hi everyone, I've crudely put together some past paper exam booklets from all the OCR legacy 'Forces, Fields and Motion' papers, for those who want to burn through past paper questions.
Original post by browb003
Hi everyone, I've crudely put together some past paper exam booklets from all the OCR legacy 'Forces, Fields and Motion' papers, for those who want to burn through past paper questions.
Thanks. :smile:
Reply 28
Nice, thanks
Original post by browb003

Oooh yes, shall i put thatup on the first post if you don't mind?

Also did you just put up the ''motion'' questions up? (i.e would they be relevant to G484?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Oooh yes, shall i put thatup on the first post if you don't mind?

Also did you just put up the ''motion'' questions up? (i.e would they be relevant to G484?)

Hey man long time no see. How's life? :smile:
Reply 31
This summer we were taught a bit of G485, (X-rays, matter-photon interactions i.e compton effect, photoelectric, etc...) i thought it was very interesting :smile:

G485 is interesting, but there's a LOT of different stuff to remember - most of the content doesn't really tie in with other parts of the module :tongue:

G484 is okay, make sure you understand all the content as you do it in your lessons. Then when it comes to the exams all you have to do is memorise all the definitions and practice exam technique, leaves you with a LOT less work to do :smile:
Original post by silentlife

Heyy, i'm just tryna cut down my TSR usage! (and also avoiding the current year 13 thread :colondollar:)

Original post by wibletg
G485 is interesting, but there's a LOT of different stuff to remember - most of the content doesn't really tie in with other parts of the module :tongue:

G484 is okay, make sure you understand all the content as you do it in your lessons. Then when it comes to the exams all you have to do is memorise all the definitions and practice exam technique, leaves you with a LOT less work to do :smile:

Hmm thanks for the tips, we just did newtonian laws, i got 100 in m1 so this'll be an alright module, also it doesn't have centres of mass PHEW! Don't get that part in m2 at all!
Original post by silentlife

And you? I see you tracked down my first mega thread :biggrin:
Reply 34
Heyy, i'm just tryna cut down my TSR usage! (and also avoiding the current year 13 thread :colondollar:)

Hmm thanks for the tips, we just did newtonian laws, i got 100 in m1 so this'll be an alright module, also it doesn't have centres of mass PHEW! Don't get that part in m2 at all!

Centres of mass isn't bad :tongue:

SHM in M3 is the dodgy one.
Original post by wibletg
Centres of mass isn't bad :tongue:

SHM in M3 is the dodgy one.

I don't understand them! :dontknow: do you recommend anything to help me?
Reply 36
I don't understand them! :dontknow: do you recommend anything to help me?

Just think of them as moments :smile:

Do the x and y planes separately.

Mass multiplied by the distance from a point (doesn't matter which point unless it's specified - USE THE SAME POINT across the whole calculation) for each individual mass... add them up and then divide by the total mass.
Reply 37

I'm starting to regret posting on the new year 13 thread... It's too time consuming and I can't seem to get away... :colondollar: But we do have a lot of fun. :tongue:
And you? I see you tracked down my first mega thread :biggrin:

I'm fine thanks, still worry about ucas though... My AQA AS unit 2 physics thread went berserk when it got close to the exam. :lol:
Original post by wibletg
Just think of them as moments :smile:

Do the x and y planes separately.

Mass multiplied by the distance from a point (doesn't matter which point unless it's specified - USE THE SAME POINT across the whole calculation) for each individual mass... add them up and then divide by the total mass.

What do you mean by bymass multiplied by distance? Isn't moment=force x distance?
What do you mean by bymass multiplied by distance? Isn't moment=force x distance?

Yes u are right how ever it doesn't matter as the force is mass x g. Thus u will have g as a common multiple. Thus u divide everything be g and have left mass x distance. It works out the same which ever way u do it. But in the exam you should show that you have divided out gravity. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending