The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NickiM
Hi,
What are the top universities for doing History degrees at?
Thanks,
Nicki

I think York and Warwick are very good for History. Im not 100% sure though.
Reply 2
Oxbridge, Durham, York, LSE, UCL, St Andrews, Kings n Warwick are all good for History! They're all Top 10 in the Times Uni Guide.
Reply 3
Ok, thanks. I have prospectuses for Oxbridge, Warwick, York, but I'll look at the other universities you have suggested :smile:
Reply 4
Also remember that to get into top ten universities for History is hard and a bit of a lottery, so maybe apply to three top ten and the rest top twenty or thirty. All mentioned here are excellent, but with up to twenty applicants a place and most predicted AAA it is a lottery. Leeds is very good, Sheffield, Exeter, Southampton, Sussex, Edinburgh (don't bother if you live in the south) London unis like Royal Holloway and Queen Mary as well.
Reply 5
warwick, durham, york, exeter, london unis and oxbridge.
Reply 6
Oh yes, that reminds me, I have got the prospectus for Sheffield too. :smile:

Thanks for all the tips everyone.
Personally, wouldn't apply to university that isn't as the best ones you want to get into. The university you go to has a massive influence on your life, and I for one would rather reapply that go to a not as good university.
Reply 8
Yes, but one does need insurance choices!
Reply 9
KerriT
Yes, but one does need insurance choices!

Then how many insurance choices should one put down? Is it prudent to apply for two history courses (eg. apply to both joint and single courses) at the same university?
Nottingham is another :biggrin:
Reply 11
bryan
Then how many insurance choices should one put down? Is it prudent to apply for two history courses (eg. apply to both joint and single courses) at the same university?

If you like the university enough it is definitely worth it. For example, my friend applied for straight English and joint English/Politics at York, she got rejected for straight English but got an offer for her joint course. You could also get an offer for both. It doesn't necessarily show that you are any less committed to History. As for how many insurance choices, if it would be a really low offer, then one, but if you are predicted AAA for example then two insurance choices of ABB would be enough. Your other four spaces can be for AAB/AAA. However, if the university gives out AAB offers but accepts General Studies then that can be an insurance. Leeds does this and it's my insurance even though York also want AAB.
Reply 12
Originally posted by KerriT
However, if the university gives out AAB offers but accepts General Studies then that can be an insurance. Leeds does this and it's my insurance even though York also want AAB.

I am so annoyed! :p: Leeds lets people include general studies for History but not its International History and Poltics course! grrr! My history teacher was trying to persuade me to go for the international course back when I wanted to do straight history because she said it would be less competitive yet it seems to be more because its typical offer is always a grade higher than the straight history course! really annoying as it meant I couldn't have it as my insurance!
Reply 13
What was your offer?
Reply 14
What was your offer?

AAB excluding general studies. I know they upped their typical history offer from ABB as did Newcastle hence I lost any chance of an insurance choice :wink:

Anyways on topic: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gooduniversityguide2005/20history.pdf is a pretty good guide to where is good for history. The order isn't neccessarily right but all of them are somewhere abouts in the top 20. For example, many people would argue that LSE isn't that great for history (I wouldn't know as I haven't looked at their course for centuries). Also, if you're thinking of applying to Oxford, I've heard from students who study there that the course is a bit disorganised....and Bristol is a no-go area for private school students for History, which many people don't realise then they apply only to be rejected on the 31st March (this doesn't necessarily apply for EVERY student from a private school and it certainly doesn't apply for subjects like Geography or any of the Sciences including Medicine and Dentistry but for the vast majority of those that apply for history it does).
Reply 15
That sucks! I was sure International Hist/Pol was a little lower than normal History. But we can both moan, my friend applied for History and French and got the standard offer of BBB, including General Studies.
Reply 16
Thanks for the link, I'll look at it now. I went to an Oxbridge conference last week, and thought the Oxford course didn't look that well structured. I don't go to a private school.:smile:
Reply 17
Oxford have the HAT though, and that is interesting to say the least...
Reply 18
That sucks! I was sure International Hist/Pol was a little lower than normal History. But we can both moan, my friend applied for History and French and got the standard offer of BBB, including General Studies.

Don't you just hate linguists? :wink: They have all the fun because not only can they speak another language but universities love them because languages aren't that popular right now! :grr:
Reply 19
Yup, and she got a BBB offer excluding GS for History/French at Nottingham. It isn't fair really, St. Andrews give out AAB offers whether it's straight History or any other strange combination, including languages. I think all her offers were BBB actually, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leeds, Nottingham, Southampton and Sheffield.

Latest

Trending

Trending