The Student Room Group

What's more valued on the league tables: general or subject ranking of a uni?

Imagine if you see two universities that you like equally!

Uni 1 is ranked 5 on the league tables for an overall score but for the subject you want to do, it's ranked 50.

Uni 2: for the subject you want to do it's ranked 5, but its overall score is 50.

Which university would you choose and why?

Another question, would you choose a red-brick Russell Group university that's ranked 30 in both your subject area and in general, over a non-russell group university that's ranked 20 - in both your subject area and in general?
Would a uni ranked 5 overall have a subject that was ranked 50?
Reply 2
Neither; I'd go to the Uni first and SEE if I actually like the place. Then, I visit all the available facilities and see if I'm getting what I'm paying for. If I can, I visit the lecture halls and rooms and get a feel of how I would study there for the next 3-4 years of my life.

League tables don't tell you these do they?
If I had to choose (and I believe rankings should play a small part of the overall decision-making process for most degrees/careers) then it would depend on what I wanted to do AFTER graduating.

If I thought I might want to work in my field of study then I would choose the uni ranked high for my subject (because employers know where is good for their subject)

If I was doing a degree in a subject I enjoy but had little intention of following that path into a career then I would choose the higher ranked institution

However, I would personally rather choose the place that felt good to me and offered the best experience combined with education.
Reply 4
Original post by devils_nose
If I had to choose (and I believe rankings should play a small part of the overall decision-making process for most degrees/careers) then it would depend on what I wanted to do AFTER graduating.

If I thought I might want to work in my field of study then I would choose the uni ranked high for my subject (because employers know where is good for their subject)

If I was doing a degree in a subject I enjoy but had little intention of following that path into a career then I would choose the higher ranked institution

However, I would personally rather choose the place that felt good to me and offered the best experience combined with education.

My thoughts exactly ;D

Quick Reply