The Student Room Group

Edexcel - defining qualification - as or a level

Usually 3 modules are sat in one sitting or per year for a A level/ AS Qualification in maths, depending on whether or not you choose to continue after the first year.

If you do not, you are awarded a AS certificate etc.

If you sit 6 modules at once, are you able to choose whether or not it is the AS qualfication or the A level certificate that you are after ?

(or is it instantly assumed that by sitting 6 modules your intention is a whole A level

I ask because, my as level grade is one greater than the a level.

( Is it a similar system in terms of formal qualification to say sitting 2 modules just for the hell of it, which you will put on your c.v and ofc not be awarded a qualifcation, in terms of your say on the matter - i.e. do I get the choice to have 3 modules 'formally' awarded and the other 3 doing jack?)
Reply 1
Original post by rainbowsss
Usually 3 modules are sat in one sitting or per year for a A level/ AS Qualification in maths, depending on whether or not you choose to continue after the first year.

If you do not, you are awarded a AS certificate etc.

If you sit 6 modules at once, are you able to choose whether or not it is the AS qualfication or the A level certificate that you are after ?

(or is it instantly assumed that by sitting 6 modules your intention is a whole A level

I ask because, my as level grade is one greater than the a level.

( Is it a similar system in terms of formal qualification to say sitting 2 modules just for the hell of it, which you will put on your c.v and ofc not be awarded a qualifcation, in terms of your say on the matter - i.e. do I get the choice to have 3 modules 'formally' awarded and the other 3 doing jack?)

You did have the choice at the point of entry

Your exams officer will have ticked
Nothing
Cash in "these modules" for an AS
Cash in all modules for an A level

If you do not know which ... do you have a CAPITAL LETTER on your results sheet if so tat is an awarded qualification (and you cannot back track if this is an A Level)
Reply 2
ahhh the point of entry !
I see.
okay, so right at the bottom next to the title of the qualification under all module results were it gives the total of all the modules?
Thanks alot for clearing this up !

So the intention of the qualification is always stated on entry of the exams - how does this work then for year 1 and year 2 of the majority of a levels sat at school - in the first year is it the as box that is ticked then or? as a student decides after the first year of an a level whether to stick to it , but the initial tick... or I guess a different system is in place when modules are distributed over more than one sitting ...?
Reply 3
ahhh the point of entry !
I see.
okay, so right at the bottom next to the title of the qualification under all module results were it gives the total of all the modules?
Thanks alot for clearing this up !

So the intention of the qualification is always stated on entry of the exams - how does this work then for year 1 and year 2 of the majority of a levels sat at school - in the first year is it the as box that is ticked then or? as a student decides after the first year of an a level whether to stick to it , but the initial tick... or I guess a different system is in place when modules are distributed over more than one sitting ...?

At any point where the candidate will have enough modules to make a qualification the box can be ticked

It can be ticked after the results are in but it is usually done at entry
Reply 4
Oh okay. so wouldnt everyone prefer to do it after results are in?
Reply 5
Also do you know what would a results sheet look like if the qualification had not been stated on the point on the entry - no letter / module list with no title..?
Reply 6
Oh okay. so wouldnt everyone prefer to do it after results are in?

School (state) have to cash in a qualification each year else it impacts on their funding

Also do you know what would a results sheet look like if the qualification had not been stated on the point on the entry - no letter / module list with no title..?

Modules will have a UMS and a small letter grade
Then qualifications will have a CAPITAL LETTER grade
Quick question about cashing in:

After a module has been cashed in for AS, can it be cashed in for A2 provided you replace it with a module taken in Year 13?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest