The Student Room Group

AS subject choices

Hi all! I'll be starting my AS levels this September currently supposed to be doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French. I think I'll probably be changing French if possible to either Chemistry or Computing. Does anyone do both of there subjects who could tell me a bit about them both in comparison to each other as I'm not sure which one to switch to! Thanks
Reply 1
I don't do chemistry but I can offer you an insight into computing.

The method of examination differs A LOT per board. The board I do, OCR, is focused a lot on writing answers, sometimes lengthy, about parts of systems and different software (in one of the exams at least). The other exam for AS has a lot of straightforward logic-based answers or having to write an algorithm for something or another.

I heard the AQA board, however, gets you to do a lot more programming and identifying bugs or writing new code. If you're a fan of that then it may be worth taking up, as it seems a little simpler from my perspective.

Make sure you know which board your school offers, and check the specification to see if it's interesting or not.

If you have any questions RE: computing then just quote my post and ask away. :smile:
Reply 2
i hated AS chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest