The Student Room Group

Life after death if anything. FOR and AGAINST.

So, this sort of thread comes up all the time imaginably, but since I am on a crappy wifi connection in Turkey I am not able to look through for the right discussion easily. Anyway, as I said I am in Turkey and whilst being here two days I can't help but feel a slight looming in my mind, that death is so inevitable and it just acts as a constant demoraliser. I really need some advice on how to try and make this mindset cease or at least put a positive slant on death. I obviously understand that everyone is susceptible to said matter, but I just can't stop thinking about it. Any help?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB860
Reply 1
I'm intrigued rather than demoralised by it actually, since I'd imagine the feeling of death would be like being knockout/unconscious but not regaining consciousness. The feeling of unconsciousness goes instantly when you experience it, so it feels like you've regained consciousness a second later (regardless of how long you've been unconscious), so to experience what isn't there for eternity is life's most interesting paradox imo. (and I don't imagine it'd be total darkness either, since you have to be conscious to recognize the darkness)
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't really want anything to come after death because anything eternal would be pointless to me. And if there was something after death I'd either just die again or be stuck in forever.

You won't know your dead so I'm not sure what you want really.
When my Mum gave birth to my brother she almost died because she lost far too much blood. She said she remembers it feeling really peaceful and she felt like drifting away. They only just managed to save her life. I believe she told me she could hear people in the background but was still fading and it was so peaceful.

Very sadly she passed away 2 years ago and I just really really hope she felt the same sort of peace as she did all them years ago. We were also talking to her in the background as she passed so I really hope she heard us too like she heard them other people.

I think there is life after death but I dont know in what form I believe it to be.
When you die, you brain apparently releases DMT and I've taken it recreationally and if death is anything like that it will be one of the best experiences of your life. Nothing to worry about.
Reply 5
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
When you die, you brain apparently releases DMT and I've taken it recreationally and if death is anything like that it will be one of the best experiences of your life. Nothing to worry about.

There is no evidence that your brain produces large amounts of DMT upon death. There is also no conclusive proof that DMT is released whilst dreaming either.

OP, when you die, that is it. It will be the same as before you were born.
To quote Dumbledore 'To the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure'

I used to have serious anxiety issues when I was about 7 or 8 about death, so much so that I thought eating chips would make me have a heart attack and die :confused: Sometimes I still have a few days when i think 'oh my god, I'm going to die one day' but what's the point in wasting your life worrying about it :smile:
Original post by Ollieeeee
There is no evidence that your brain produces large amounts of DMT upon death. There is also no conclusive proof that DMT is released whilst dreaming either.

OP, when you die, that is it. It will be the same as before you were born.

That is why I said "apparently" and most of the evidence is anecdotal from people who have had near death experiences. It was more wishful thinking on my part.
Reply 8
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
That is why I said "apparently" and most of the evidence is anecdotal from people who have had near death experiences. It was more wishful thinking on my part.

Wishful thinking is exactly how I feel now.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB860
In my opinion; the idea of life after death stems from the innate human idea that we are more important than we actually are. We can't stare death in the face; instead we must delude ourselves with the idea that our 'souls' are eternal.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest