The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tooosh
He's saying, pretend you applied for medicine but apply to 5 unis for finance. Say you got rejected for medicine.

Personally I would just take the attitude of well.. not taking **** from them. Are you Asian? Even if you're not, your specific parents have conditioned you to be scared of them (if you are, it's just something they do anyway). Say no and they probably won't do anything about it if you press them enough.

Because even if i got into one of the other 4 universities for finance my parents would not let me go, they'd send me to prague, or gdansk, or even NUST (in pakistan) for medical school. For them LSE is the only university good enough for finance (i know crazy right?)

yeah im pakistani (but born in ireland, living in uae now)
i honestly dont know what to do now, i can just fail my UKCAT, but what if they make me repeat the year again for a new ucas cycle, i cant waste a year
Reply 21
Original post by psychojonas
This is a rest-of-your-life, for once, **** your parents and fulfill your dream. Sure, your parents have sheltered, fed and cared for you, but you've got to make the point that if finance is your dream, they should stop being so overbearing and be allowed to make your own choice, I'm not saying have a shouting match, just sit down and talk through the reasons of why you want to do finance over medicine and remind them that it's your future they they're possibly messing around with.

(And also if you get into medicine not wanting to do it and someone else desperately wants to do it, you're wasting a place on the course).

lol sorry for being "selfish" per say... i really dont know what to do... im just gonna wait untill i do my ukcat, if the scores bad enough maybe theyll see im not cut out for it..

on a side note.. are you SURE i cant email LSE and persuade them to take a second personal statement privately?
Reply 22
Also, what if i email LSE and explain to them my predicament? Maybe they could sympathise, i know its hopin for a miracle, but who knows? Would it ruin my chances through UCAS if i do?
Reply 23
Original post by hassi94
What toosh said. However, maybe you'd feel more comfortable not lying. Have you asked them to list specific reasons to why they want you to become a doctor?

I have but they come up with answers that dont even make sense, and when you question them, they count it as "arguing" so you literally cant win in any sense...
Reply 24
Original post by kinglynx
I cannot stress enough how much i have talked to my parents about it they just wont give in. What can i do? If i won the lottery tomorrow i'd leave the next second and just do finance on my own, but i dont have the means of doing it on my own

You Asian kids are complete pushovers. Just be like ok cool but if you wont let me do what I want I refuse to go to uni. They may be able to force you do do a certain subject as they are paying for it but they cant force you to go. Then get a job, move out apply for independent student finance and you know...... live your own life? Your parents are extreme. it's not like you're abandoning medicine to do photography at UEL, you're trying to do economics at freaking LSE. Ironically economics (at a top econ school) is probably a more prestigious and high paying degree than medicine anyway.
Reply 25
**** your parents; follow your heart.
I have but they come up with answers that dont even make sense, and when you question them, they count it as "arguing" so you literally cant win in any sense...

You're gonna have to really throw the gauntlet down and let them know it's finance or nothing. Show them statistics - do they know that LSE economists are paid more than doctors on average? Same with Cambridge economists, oxford e&m and Warwick econ.

I really hope you can get this sorted. Yes you need to take control but I know it's easier said than done!
Reply 27
I cannot stress enough how much i have talked to my parents about it they just wont give in. What can i do? If i won the lottery tomorrow i'd leave the next second and just do finance on my own, but i dont have the means of doing it on my own

As for why dont i apply to 5 finance universities? because even if i get into the other 4 (not LSE) they'd make me go somewhere else. They would only let me do finance if its at LSE and i got rejected from england in the other 4 cases...
So thats why even if i got into LSE and lets say imperial/cambridge, i could always lie and say i didnt get an offer from them, only LSE. But if i applied to east london/imperial for business, they still wouldnt let me go regardless. Parents are weird complex creatures

I think your parents need psychiatric assessment.
Reply 28

You don't try and push logic to Asian parents. C'mon, it's like you guys have never "won" an argument against them :tongue: you just say no. And keep saying no.

You could work and save up next year and not apply via UCAS (just say you have) and move out on your gap year, even if it's just to make a point. Even Asian parents have a breaking point. If still won't pay for it then you don't really have a choice but to work for 3 years to classify as estranged from your parents...
on a side note.. are you SURE i cant email LSE and persuade them to take a second personal statement privately?

Dunno, didn't bother with uni myself, but I've been told that the personal statement you do is the one that gets sent to all your choices.
Your Parents have no input on your UCAS application. If fundings an issue, isn't there mean and non mean tested loans for you? You will get enough, maybe you'll need to get a job. Just remember, if you do Medicine without really wanting to do it, your entering a profession thats one of the most stressful out there. Could you cope? Remember people have been working there full life's to get into Medicine. You could take one of those peoples place. One they've yearned for for over a decade.
Original post by hassi94
Man up.

Upvote for advocating the manning up method.
Original post by nexttime
I think your parents need psychiatric assessment.

You'd be surprised how normal this is in Asian families. On results day I was celebrating as I got in to study maths at Cambridge. My parents went on to comment 'disappointing that you decided against medicine' straight to my face straight after I received acceptance through track.

Not to mention how long it took for my parents to allow this application in the first place
Reply 33
Also, what if i email LSE and explain to them my predicament? Maybe they could sympathise, i know its hopin for a miracle, but who knows? Would it ruin my chances through UCAS if i do?

Haha, no.

Man the **** up, seriously; just keep saying no, they will give in eventually. If they don't, you know you're better off without them.
This is stupid. Surely you must be aware that both medicine and finance are extremely competitive and medicine would not accept you with a finance personal statement and lose would definitely not accept you with a medicine ps. LSE is extremely competitive and what's to say you would get in.

In short, by trying to cater for oth completely contrasting subjects your must likely going to end up to getting into Ny university in the UK.
Reply 35
Original post by Podcaster
You Asian kids are complete pushovers. Just be like ok cool but if you wont let me do what I want I refuse to go to uni. They may be able to force you do do a certain subject as they are paying for it but they cant force you to go. Then get a job, move out apply for independent student finance and you know...... live your own life? Your parents are extreme. it's not like you're abandoning medicine to do photography at UEL, you're trying to do economics at freaking LSE. Ironically economics (at a top econ school) is probably a more prestigious and high paying degree than medicine anyway.

How can i apply for independant student finance if i live abroad and im an international student? or am i being ignorant?

LOL i know the irony sickens me to death, they jus think i wont get a job or something and they think ill drop of university like my brother did (my mum even went so far as to say if my brother never dropped out, i would have complete freedom to do finance, wtf, im a completely different person than him -_-)

and the worst part is, they jus keep saying "your good enough to do anything in life, so u shud do medicine" wtf, if i was good enuf to do anything i should do theoretical physics -_-

and on top of that they keep saying "dont tell anyone we're forcing you" like no STFU YOU ARE FORCING ME ? -_- and it gets so awkward when someone asks me what i want to do and my dads jus staring at me

god sorry if it sounds like im a little pussy B****
Reply 36
Original post by tooosh
You don't try and push logic to Asian parents. C'mon, it's like you guys have never "won" an argument against them :tongue: you just say no. And keep saying no.

You could work and save up next year and not apply via UCAS (just say you have) and move out on your gap year, even if it's just to make a point. Even Asian parents have a breaking point. If still won't pay for it then you don't really have a choice but to work for 3 years to classify as estranged from your parents...

i really dont want to go down the whole, im disowning you parents and ill live my own life, sorta thing...
Reply 37
Original post by TheFOMaster
Your Parents have no input on your UCAS application. If fundings an issue, isn't there mean and non mean tested loans for you? You will get enough, maybe you'll need to get a job. Just remember, if you do Medicine without really wanting to do it, your entering a profession thats one of the most stressful out there. Could you cope? Remember people have been working there full life's to get into Medicine. You could take one of those peoples place. One they've yearned for for over a decade.

What are mean and non mean tested loans?
I am an international student i think....

its not coping thats the problem, i can excel in any given subject (not being cocky) but its just, the rest of my life, 9-5, doing something that i really have no interest in....
Reply 38
Original post by coffee-spoons
This is stupid. Surely you must be aware that both medicine and finance are extremely competitive and medicine would not accept you with a finance personal statement and lose would definitely not accept you with a medicine ps. LSE is extremely competitive and what's to say you would get in.

In short, by trying to cater for oth completely contrasting subjects your must likely going to end up to getting into Ny university in the UK.

Yes i am aware, hence why im posting this so i can get some help... the only stupid thing would be if i never asked for helped and ended up in a rut the rest of my life....
Reply 39
How can i apply for independant student finance if i live abroad and im an international student? or am i being ignorant?

LOL i know the irony sickens me to death, they jus think i wont get a job or something and they think ill drop of university like my brother did (my mum even went so far as to say if my brother never dropped out, i would have complete freedom to do finance, wtf, im a completely different person than him -_-)

and the worst part is, they jus keep saying "your good enough to do anything in life, so u shud do medicine" wtf, if i was good enuf to do anything i should do theoretical physics -_-

and on top of that they keep saying "dont tell anyone we're forcing you" like no STFU YOU ARE FORCING ME ? -_- and it gets so awkward when someone asks me what i want to do and my dads jus staring at me

god sorry if it sounds like im a little pussy B****

Looooooooooooool. What is it with Asian parents and medicine? I didn't know that Asian parents were so obsessed with medicine that they viewed it as better than economics?

Latest

Trending

Trending