The Student Room Group

Would i be able to get into uni? (education)

Hello :smile:.

Im thinking about going to univeristy next year (sept 2013) with the aim of training to become a primary school teacher. The problem is that my A levels are not great. ( An C in A level Business, a E in A level Ecnomics and a C in AS Media) Meaning that i only have 160 UCAS points :frown:. But i have been working as a sports coach apprentice in primary schools for the last 2 years based at 2 perticular schools. (It mainly involves me assisting and taking P.E lessons within primary schools and acting as a teacher assistant in a class room when there are no P.E. lessons going on. So i was just wondering would the 2 years working in schools mean that i might have a chance with Univeristys even if they are looking at higher UCAS points??

Thanks

Bakersy :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Bakesy665
Hello :smile:.

Im thinking about going to univeristy next year (sept 2013) with the aim of training to become a primary school teacher. The problem is that my A levels are not great. ( An C in A level Business, a E in A level Ecnomics and a C in AS Media) Meaning that i only have 160 UCAS points :frown:. But i have been working as a sports coach apprentice in primary schools for the last 2 years based at 2 perticular schools. (It mainly involves me assisting and taking P.E lessons within primary schools and acting as a teacher assistant in a class room when there are no P.E. lessons going on. So i was just wondering would the 2 years working in schools mean that i might have a chance with Univeristys even if they are looking at higher UCAS points??

Thanks

Bakersy :smile:

Hi, i will be studying primary education this year at the university of derby :smile: Derby asked for 300 ucas points (all of which have to come from full a-levels or equivalent), but they also mentioned on an email and induction day that they will consider the whole persons application, if they dont get these grades, so if its good you will still get your place :smile:. The trouble is if you apply to a uni without being predicted about what they are asking for, the likelihood of them offering you a place in the first instance is slim (Unless ofc you have lots of experience etc.) So, basically only apply to the uni's that are asking for about what your predicted, if you dont, your just wasting your choices.
There will be plenty of unis out there that will have reasonable entry requirements for teaching courses. Try bishop grosseteste university college? A friend of mine applied there and it was her insurance choice which she is going too, and she seems quite happy to go there :smile:

Also, try to get as much experience as you can (but what you have done so far should definitely be sufficient). Oh, and when your at an interview try to stand out. That way if your grades aren't amazing you still have a good chance of getting offers.

And lastly, have you thought about other courses relating to education/children, or do you only want to apply to those that specifically get you into teaching? Like, have you thought about doing a regular degree (maybe one relating to childhood studies etc.) and then doing a PGCE? These courses will normally have a much lower entry requirement so you have more of a change getting into them :smile: But you still end up in the same place as if you did a teaching degree, it just takes 4 years, but some regular teaching degrees take that anyway. For example, as i have mentioned the BEd (primary education) course at derby requires you to have 300 ucas points, but, the BA hons in Education studies only requires you to have 260!

If you need anything else, or want any advice etc. feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 2
How old are you? If you're over 19 you can do an access course and go from there.
Reply 3
Original post by beccamxx
Hi, i will be studying primary education this year at the university of derby :smile: Derby asked for 300 ucas points (all of which have to come from full a-levels or equivalent), but they also mentioned on an email and induction day that they will consider the whole persons application, if they dont get these grades, so if its good you will still get your place :smile:. The trouble is if you apply to a uni without being predicted about what they are asking for, the likelihood of them offering you a place in the first instance is slim (Unless ofc you have lots of experience etc.) So, basically only apply to the uni's that are asking for about what your predicted, if you dont, your just wasting your choices.
There will be plenty of unis out there that will have reasonable entry requirements for teaching courses. Try bishop grosseteste university college? A friend of mine applied there and it was her insurance choice which she is going too, and she seems quite happy to go there :smile:

Also, try to get as much experience as you can (but what you have done so far should definitely be sufficient). Oh, and when your at an interview try to stand out. That way if your grades aren't amazing you still have a good chance of getting offers.

And lastly, have you thought about other courses relating to education/children, or do you only want to apply to those that specifically get you into teaching? Like, have you thought about doing a regular degree (maybe one relating to childhood studies etc.) and then doing a PGCE? These courses will normally have a much lower entry requirement so you have more of a change getting into them :smile: But you still end up in the same place as if you did a teaching degree, it just takes 4 years, but some regular teaching degrees take that anyway. For example, as i have mentioned the BEd (primary education) course at derby requires you to have 300 ucas points, but, the BA hons in Education studies only requires you to have 260!

If you need anything else, or want any advice etc. feel free to message me :smile:

Wow alot of usful infomation there thanks! Def look into that university. So am i right in saying that it possible to take a degree then futher it to get the teaching degree?

And also im 19 atm. 20 in October coming. So i would be 20 when i be going into univeristy, if i go 2013. Is access perticualy good then? Tried a quick google search on it but cant find much useful infomation on it.

Reply 4
Wow alot of usful infomation there thanks! Def look into that university. So am i right in saying that it possible to take a degree then futher it to get the teaching degree?

And also im 19 atm. 20 in October coming. So i would be 20 when i be going into univeristy, if i go 2013. Is access perticualy good then? Tried a quick google search on it but cant find much useful infomation on it.

You should also look into Derby too :smile: They say this on their BEd webpage 'The UCAS tariff points are a guide - we'll also consider all information included in your application and from your interview. We'll also want to see that you're enthusiastic and motivated to take this course and that you have the potential to benefit from coming to university.' Which means you would still have a chance to get into there, and maybe similar uni's.

Yes that's exactly right. You basically take a regular degree (although it must be one that's appropriate) and then you can apply for a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education) in either primary/secondary education. However, the places for PGCE are very limited and are hard to get onto apparently, so if i were you i would definitely just try to get onto a normal primary ed course.

I have no idea about the access course really, as i have just sat my A-Levels/Diploma so i am coming to uni straight from doing those. Like i said there are plenty of unis that would accept the grades you are getting, and especially since you have so much experience :smile: So, i would try that first, rather than having to start a completely new course unnecessarily.

Also, if its definitely primary education your wanting to do, have you considered doing a B.Ed (bachelor of education). Its a course specifically designed for trainee teachers :smile: The one at derby seems great, you get lots of experience, the lecturers seem really nice and its a very highly rated course (no. 1 according to the National Students Survey! :smile:)
Reply 5
Ah i Consider this unis then. Wouldnt of even tried without that info lol! Been a massive help thank you! Also just found out i have an extra 20 UCAS points i didnt know about. :biggrin:. Which is allways helpful lol
Reply 6
Ah i Consider this unis then. Wouldnt of even tried without that info lol! Been a massive help thank you! Also just found out i have an extra 20 UCAS points i didnt know about. :biggrin:. Which is allways helpful lol

I am glad i could help :smile: If you need to know anything else like what happens on the interviews or something, then just let me know :smile:
And good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending