The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to UCL with these grades??

[INDENT]i had poor AS results with a BBBC but all my B's were max 3UMS away from A's. Im going to be predicted an A*AA (A* in maths) and i know im capable of getting it and will get it. :frown:

Im planning to do economics at university and i'd like to know whether or not it would be worth applying to UCL with those AS grades.:frown:[/INDENT]

Are you getting any re marks for your papers?
Reply 2
Yes for one of my subjects and for maths i got an A in C1 and C2 but a C in S1 which put me down. so i'll be retaking S1 in January.
Reply 3
To achieve an A* you need 80% at AS as well as 90% or above in all A2 modules, so to be predicted an A* from a B UCL may not look fondly upon it, I would even advise re-sitting a module if it is something you have considered? If you believe you can achieve A*AA then by all means apply. I am going to UCL to study geology, not a highly competitive course yet there were many applicants with AABB or higher at AS on my interview day for a course with typical offers around AAA-AAB just to give you some idea of the competition. Economics at UCL is a very competitive course as it is practically the best department in the country so I imagine there would be many applicants with higher AS grades. Make sure your personal statement is 10/10 and emphasise if you have any extra-curricular activities! Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Hazard17
[INDENT]i had poor AS results with a BBBC but all my B's were max 3UMS away from A's. Im going to be predicted an A*AA (A* in maths) and i know im capable of getting it and will get it. :frown:

Im planning to do economics at university and i'd like to know whether or not it would be worth applying to UCL with those AS grades.:frown:[/INDENT]

for economics? with those grades? There's 3000 applicant for 200 places.

unless you had extenuating circumstances then i'm sorry but its very slim.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mkirke
To achieve an A* you need 80% at AS as well as 90% or above in all A2 modules, so to be predicted an A* from a B UCL may not look fondly upon it, I would even advise re-sitting a module if it is something you have considered? If you believe you can achieve A*AA then by all means apply. I am going to UCL to study geology, not a highly competitive course yet there were many applicants with AABB or higher at AS on my interview day for a course with typical offers around AAA-AAB just to give you some idea of the competition. Economics at UCL is a very competitive course as it is practically the best department in the country so I imagine there would be many applicants with higher AS grades. Make sure your personal statement is 10/10 and emphasise if you have any extra-curricular activities! Good Luck!

Geology and Economics is a whole different ball game.

Econ at UCL is up there with its Medicine and Law as the most competitive departments to gain entry to at UCL.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
thats what i said in my post, i said geology isn't competitive, so if there were students with grades at AABB for my course there would be a lot higher competition for economics!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending