The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

When do you get notified about the Manchester Bursary?

Hi everyone

So I know I am eligible for the bursary. But I was wondering when this will be confirmed etc, since my accommodation has come through and I've already paid the deposit.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Contact the uni finance people. I'm eligible for the £2,000 off accom and £1,000 cash but i have no clue about how to get it. We most likely will get a cheque once we start term and they'll deduct the payments from accom bill, so we end up paying the first term of whatever it is and then the rest gets cleared up to however much we get off?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by MinpoloD
Hi everyone

So I know I am eligible for the bursary. But I was wondering when this will be confirmed, since my accommodation has come through and I've already paid the deposit.

Thanks

I have answered a similar question in this thread.

You'll know when you receive the bursary as you'll be notified through financial aid in the student system. Instalments come in November, January and March via bank transfer if I remember correctly.

The situation with bursaries has changed though and I believe you can get more than I previously did (so they may have changed other things too). Check with your department for more details.

Darren

P.S.: The university has never sent me a check nor directly deducted anything off my accommodation bill.
(edited 11 years ago)
You'll receive a letter through the post before long - if it helps then I haven't received my letter yet - and I know I should be getting one because I'm a second year student and got a bursary last year!

The system with bursaries has changed drastically for 2012, but I suspect that what will happen is that you simply pay less for your accommodation (it's billed either via direct debit, or you pay by card at your accommodation's reception) and then receive a bank transfer for the cash portion. The university has never, in my time, faffed about with cheques - there's too much paperwork and too much opportunity for people to lose them, hence they opt for direct bank transfers.
Sorry! I thought they did cheques :tongue: My mate who went to LJMU got given a £1,000 cheque to cash so I just assumed most (if not all) unis used a similar method. Yeah, for the accom part I thought it would work like that. The £400 deposit is a bit steep though :frown:I hope I receive the letter! I'm not sure if I ticked the box 'share with universities' on the SFE form, so I might phone up Manchester to check. Not sure what would happen if I didn't tick the box :/Thanks for the posts DPLSK and Origami Bullets! :smile:
Also I'm staying in oak house. With the split level boys/girls does that mean if you're a boy you won't see much of the girls? Is there one kitchen or two? Thanks
Original post by gonnabesomething
Also I'm staying in oak house. With the split level boys/girls does that mean if you're a boy you won't see much of the girls? Is there one kitchen or two? Thanks

The flats are more like maisonettes - there are two floors which are linked by an internal, unlocked staircase. One flat has 4 boys, the other has 4 girls. There is a bathroom on each floor, and one kitchen shared between all 8. The genders are fully integrated :smile:
Reply 7
Sorry for being a noobie, but how do you become eligible for a bursary?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by PedJo
Sorry for being a noobie, but how do you become eligible for a bursary?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Information is here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentfinance/home-eu-2013/university-scholarships-and-bursaries/

You needed to have allowed Student Finance to send your household income data to the university as well.
I actually rang the uni up to ask about this. I was told that you will not get the bursary as soon as you arrive and it can take as long as November for the bursaries to be processed. Also whatever discount you choose will be applied to your final payments. Good news is the guy assured me that everyone who is eligibile for it will receive the bursary.
Original post by NorthernMonkey86
I actually rang the uni up to ask about this. I was told that you will not get the bursary as soon as you arrive and it can take as long as November for the bursaries to be processed. Also whatever discount you choose will be applied to your final payments. Good news is the guy assured me that everyone who is eligibile for it will receive the bursary.

Thanks for coming back and giving us the info :smile:
Original post by Xæthon
Information is here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentfinance/home-eu-2013/university-scholarships-and-bursaries/

You needed to have allowed Student Finance to send your household income data to the university as well.

What do I do if I didn't check the box? Is there any way to get the info to Manchester? I might give them a call tomorrow, they should be able to tell me if I will be receiving one or not? Also, does anyone know how long SFE take? I need to buy a laptop and stuff, does that mean I have to wait until a couple of weeks after the start of uni? :/
What do I do if I didn't check the box? Is there any way to get the info to Manchester? I might give them a call tomorrow, they should be able to tell me if I will be receiving one or not? Also, does anyone know how long SFE take? I need to buy a laptop and stuff, does that mean I have to wait until a couple of weeks after the start of uni? :/

Check with Manchester if you're not sure if you checked the box. If you didn't check the box, then you'll have to contact SFE directly.

With regards to the laptop, the money comes into your bank account a few days after you arrive and collect your student id card. However, the halls laptop bursary scheme may be of interest to you http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/hall-life/laptop-bursary
Original post by Origami Bullets
Check with Manchester if you're not sure if you checked the box. If you didn't check the box, then you'll have to contact SFE directly.

With regards to the laptop, the money comes into your bank account a few days after you arrive and collect your student id card. However, the halls laptop bursary scheme may be of interest to you http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/hall-life/laptop-bursary

Ok thanks again bullets! Will find out tomorrow :smile: erm not sure, it says if the student can't afford a laptop which I can but don't think my parents will be happy shouting forking out for one. They'll get their money back so it should be fine.

Also bullets, how easy is it to het a pt job? Is there any paid stuff for students in UoM like bar work or waiting?
Ok thanks again bullets! Will find out tomorrow :smile: erm not sure, it says if the student can't afford a laptop which I can but don't think my parents will be happy shouting forking out for one. They'll get their money back so it should be fine.

Also bullets, how easy is it to het a pt job? Is there any paid stuff for students in UoM like bar work or waiting?

Manchester is a big city, and in common with all cities there are a lot of bars & restaurants. However, you will find it a lot easier to find work if you already have some bar / waiting experience. Try to start jobhunting asap after you arrive in Manchester - there are ~80,000 students between MMU and UoM, many of whom will be looking for work at the beginning of the academic year, so getting ahead of the game will make life much easier for you.

The university also employs some students - albeit mainly second & third years - to do jobs like showing prospective students around on open days and conducting accommodation tours. The students union employs students for shop and bar work too - it's nice work if you can get it because it's flexible around academic schedules (in contrast, I once had my employer moaning that I wouldn't work a shift when I had an exam at that time!!)
Reply 15
how much bursary do we receive with household income under £25000
Reply 16
Original post by wwelol
how much bursary do we receive with household income under £25000

First year, £1,000 cash, £2,000 discount off either fees or accommodation.
Subsequent years, £3,000 cash
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Xæthon
First year, £1,000 cash, £2,000 discount off either fees or accommodation.
Subsequent years, £3,000 cash

were did u get the info from ???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending