The Student Room Group

Never been to a hairdresser but want to style my hair- where do I start?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DreamKitty
I was actually thinking of this kind of cut . Your right, I see alot of young women with this hairstyle. I want the hairdresser to tell me what my face shape is so that I can work out what suits me. I wish I could try out some wigs before letting them cut my hair lol. I know they have catalogues and hair magazines but to be honest I don't think it's a good idea of how I would look since everyone has different facial structure, shape etc.

The thing is, you say you don't want to have to straighten it or style it too much, yet for this haircut to look remotely attractive you do need to do quite a lot of styling or it won't work. Don't cut off all of your hair, I would put money on it that you will regret it. I had hair like yours then I cut it into this style when I was 14 and it's only just getting back to where it was now, 4 years later. I think you should get a simple style that is easy to manage if you don't want to spend too much time with styling and stuff. Maybe just get a few long layers and some feathered bits around your face and keep the length, that would be easy to manage but make your hair look a bit more interesting. Be careful and take what the hairdressers say with a pinch of salt, I've noticed that they seem to love long hair and they also love to cut it all off, it's in their nature or something lol.
Original post by llessur123
Like I said, it's rather common haha.

Once hair gets over a certain length there isn't really much else you can do with it aside from layers/side fringe combos....obviously short cuts can be more creative and 'unique'.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Once hair gets over a certain length there isn't really much else you can do with it aside from layers/side fringe combos....obviously short cuts can be more creative and 'unique'.

I know, but I'm talking specifically about that cut. I mean like bra strap length, layers with a little side fringe, usually in mousy brown. It's so common and I just find it incredibly boring. There are a lot of things you can do with hair, long/short, full fringe/side fringe/middle part, layers/no layers/short layers/long layers, brown/black/blonde/red/pink/blue whatever, that is a lot of combinations. I don't see why this is the favourite because I don't really think it's that flattering on most people, it's also not particularly easy to style so I have to assume it's some kind of hairdresser trend. If you like it though who am I to say, it's not my hair.

Quick Reply

Latest