The Student Room Group

Please help i need advice being released!

Guy's i need some help,
I asked Coventry university to release me on 18/08/2012 at 15:30 and they asked me to wait up to 24 hours. It has past that time and my UCAS application still hasn't entered clearing yet. I have made phone calls to both UCAS and Coventry and they said they can't speed up the process. The problem is that i have a clearing offer that i need to accept by Monday 10:00 (This is the extended time on the deadline). Any suggestions? What do i do?
Original post by Juber_93
Guy's i need some help,
I asked Coventry university to release me on 18/08/2012 at 15:30 and they asked me to wait up to 24 hours. It has past that time and my UCAS application still hasn't entered clearing yet. I have made phone calls to both UCAS and Coventry and they said they can't speed up the process. The problem is that i have a clearing offer that i need to accept by Monday 10:00 (This is the extended time on the deadline). Any suggestions? What do i do?

Is your clearing choice university aware that you are waiting to be released? It is worth explaining that you fully intend to take them up on their offer but your firm/insurance is being slow to release you. Given all the problems with the universities being able to update Track they may be sympathetic. Other than that, all you can do is keep badgering the university to send their decision through to UCAS.
All Coventry have to do is enter the decision on their system and this gets transferred to UCAS overnight. If they havnt done that, then phone them up and INSIST they do - they can even phone the decision straight through to UCAS first thing on Monday morning if necessary.

If this doesnt get you anywhere - phone UCAS and tell them. Coventry's behaviour is NOT acceptable and UCAS will want to know about it.
I had exactly the same problem with Hertfordshire. So what I did was:

Kept badgering! I called every hour on the hour.. I didn't care if i Spoke to the same person I made it clear I had a deadline that I had to meet but I also made up an excuse as to why I wanted to be released (basically don't tell them you have found somewhere better)

I also made sure that every time I got the smallest piece of info from herts I let the university I held the offer with know. This kept them updated and they really did appreciate this.

The way I got some action taken though was my mum. I know it sounds very babyish but sometimes people literally respond better to a more authoritative voice. My mum phoned threw a slight tantrum and by the end of the conversation got told it would be done in 2 hours. and so it was.

Some universities are saying they are trying but it CAN be done quicker then they say you just have to use all your resources. Oh and make sure to email the university you want to go to with all the details and have your deadline extension in an email (just so everything is in writing) :smile:

GOOD LUCK!
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
All Coventry have to do is enter the decision on their system and this gets transferred to UCAS overnight. If they havnt done that, then phone them up and INSIST they do - they can even phone the decision straight through to UCAS first thing on Monday morning if necessary.

If this doesnt get you anywhere - phone UCAS and tell them. Coventry's behaviour is NOT acceptable and UCAS will want to know about it.

I called UCAS and they kept on saying they couldn't do anything about the situation. They could neither notify Aston University and reserve me a spot nor chase up Coventry University.
Reply 5
Original post by Tamara165
I'm in the same position as you right now I'm so worried, did everything work out with you and uni? and if so do you have any suggestions.

I managed to get released by lying to them saying that my offer expires within 1 hour and Aston wont give me any more extensions. So if they don't release me they will jeopardise my chances of going to uni. After 3 days waiting to be released...that phone call quickened the process and it was all done in less than 30 mins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending