The Student Room Group

Is it considered to showing off to only shop at M&S/waitrose if you are a student

I tend to get all my food from M&S/waitrose since i cannot stand the inferior quality of the stuff at other chains. Is this considered showing off simply because as students we are supposed to be thrifty since we are living off the state through the maintenance grant and loans etc (even though I get paid quite a lot in the summers)

Scroll to see replies

Well, I don't understand why you can't get the same Heinz beans from tescoes as you do from Waitrose, but nobody really cares as long as you don't wax lyrical about the amazing loo roll at M&S.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Not at all. Posh birds are great!
I don't see it as posh at all. I shop at both regularly and to me Waitrose and M&S are really well priced. I will still be shopping here once I start Uni in September

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
You salacious fiend. You should be spanked.
Reply 5
Forget what others think, M&S does have quality food so if you want to shop there do so.
It's up to you how you spend your money. If you prefer more expensive food and fewer nights out then that's up to you, whereas some people prefer to eat supermarket's own brands and then have a few nights out a week. However I'm going to put it right out there that this thread was made purely so everyone knows you have money.. otherwise why mention it?
Reply 7
M&S and Waitrose? Dahling how can you bear to even look at that ****? Personally I can only eat food from F&M hampers.

On a more serious note you appear to be going to Oxford OP, in which case you will likely be catered and eating the same food as everyone else, so no one will care.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
How can you even afford waitrose food if you're a student?..
Reply 9
No one gives a **** about where you shop. Shop where you want, just don't buy single-ply loo roll.
Reply 10
I wouldn't think you was showing off, M&S do cheap food nowadays anyway.
But as others have said no one will care, just don't brag.
Waitrose Essential 8 Pork Sausages, 454g - £1.19
Simply M&S 8 Pork Sausages, 454g - £1.19
Sainsbury's 8 Pork Sausages, 454g - £1.19
Tesco's 8 Pork Sausages, 454g - £1.19

Well, the maths says that it doesn't matter where you get the own-brand sausages, but I tend to follow my stomach and would go for the Waitrose ones, they're better quality right? (unless it's all a lie.)
The only thing is, the nearest Waitrose is 7 miles away at a motorway service stop, so I would have to make do with the M&S ones. :-(
I don't think pork sausages are really a good economic indicator of price, but hey.
ooooooooooooh
Reply 13
Just a heads up... But own lable cornflakes etc all come off the same production lines in the same factories and just go into boxes with a different name printed on the outside.
Shop where you like but people will think you're pretty gullible if you start telling them about superior quality.
I think it's only considered showing off if you say to other students that you "cannot stand the inferior quality of the stuff at other chains".

I'm sure they're not going to be bothered about where you shop!
I know a lot of really trashy people who shop there to show they're not trashy
I don't care where anyone else shops tbh, just don't push it in people's faces that you shop where you do.

But tesco/sainsburys own value brand all the way! :smile:

aldi/lidl are also hidden little gems, good stuff in there for great prices, I do like my continental sausages, meat slices and cheese!
Reply 17
I'd personally think you're bourgeois as, but hey.
As long as you don't brag/put others down for their food no one will give a ****.

However - expect your stuff to be the first to get used when your drunk flat mates go fridge raiding :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by jon_a.k.a_bob
Waitrose Essential 8 Pork Sausages, 454g - £1.19
Simply M&S 8 Pork Sausages, 454g - £1.19
Sainsbury's 8 Pork Sausages, 454g - £1.19
Tesco's 8 Pork Sausages, 454g - £1.19

Well, the maths says that it doesn't matter where you get the own-brand sausages, but I tend to follow my stomach and would go for the Waitrose ones, they're better quality right? (unless it's all a lie.)
The only thing is, the nearest Waitrose is 7 miles away at a motorway service stop, so I would have to make do with the M&S ones. :-(
I don't think pork sausages are really a good economic indicator of price, but hey.

People are sensitive to the price of certain items, sausages perhaps being one, but also milk, bread, eggs. Supermarkets make an effort to complete on these items to give the impression that they're no more expensive. However, if you do a big shop in Sainsbury's and get the brand match refund which can give you a few pounds off your next shop you'll see there is a difference. That's the case even with what I imagine are fairly rigorous terms and conditions imposed on the calculation of the price match.

Also, you can get royally screwed over on certain items. For example, Sainsbury's are selling Skyrim for £45 while Amazon are selling it for £25.

Quick Reply

Latest