The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year to re-sit exams, will unis still accept me?

After not receiving the grades I was predicted to get last week I have decided to re-take some exams rather than go into clearing as I was only a few marks off an A in two subjects and I did not have an insurance choice.
The only worry I have now is whether any redbrick unis will accept me or not? I understand that I am a weaker candidate as it is taking me 3 years.
Has anyone else done this? Where do I stand with the unis?
Reply 1
Original post by elizabeth04
After not receiving the grades I was predicted to get last week I have decided to re-take some exams rather than go into clearing as I was only a few marks off an A in two subjects and I did not have an insurance choice.
The only worry I have now is whether any redbrick unis will accept me or not? I understand that I am a weaker candidate as it is taking me 3 years.

What are your grades? Have you considered trying to get your two subjects remarked? A non-priority one is cheaper, and you aren't in a hurry.

I think that its very hard for someone to reliably give you a blanket answer on here. You basically need to look at the requirements on University websites for your subject. If you are hoping that they might make an exception then you need to contact them directly by phone or email and ask them to tell you how they'd view your application.

If we just guess that for you we are as likely to be wrong as not. Certainly people get into good Universities on less than perfect grades, but the honest truth is that every application is unique and there are lots of circumstance specific factors behind this.
Reply 2
Original post by Craghyrax
What are your grades? Have you considered trying to get your two subjects remarked? A non-priority one is cheaper, and you aren't in a hurry.

I think that its very hard for someone to reliably give you a blanket answer on here. You basically need to look at the requirements on University websites for your subject. If you are hoping that they might make an exception then you need to contact them directly by phone or email and ask them to tell you how they'd view your application.

If we just guess that for you we are as likely to be wrong as not. Certainly people get into good Universities on less than perfect grades, but the honest truth is that every application is unique and there are lots of circumstance specific factors behind this.

Thanks for your answer, I was predicted AAA to do an English Literature degree but received BBB in my exams. I think I'll ring up a few universities and see what they say.
Reply 3
Original post by elizabeth04

They shouldn't prejudice, no.
There are exceptions that may be worth researching, e.g. Medicine is rather strict with resits, and universities such as Oxford and Cambridge. Dedicate some time to calling universities and asking them whether they accept resits before applying to them.

Otherwise, I don't see why it would damage your application. Doing resits in the third year is pretty much the same as resitting AS or A2 modules during the two years you study them. I know many people who failed AS and redid the whole of sixth form, and are now going to the University of Leeds etc (a respectable uni!)

Don't give up, very good universities will still accept you, you just need to find out from past experiences/universities themselves. SO, contact some TSR users, ask them, email universities, do the research.

Sorry you didn't get your results, good luck! x
Reply 4
I was in the same situation as you last year and I resat a couple of subjects doing all 6 modules in both subjects within one year.

Applying for 2012 entry I received offers from Newcastle (starting here next month :biggrin:), Leeds and Birmingham. So i cant comment on the real high end unis such as oxbridge etc. but other very good unis will certainly still accept you.

ps i had no extenuating circumstances either!
Reply 5
Looks like I slightly misread. So long as you actually do go up to the right grades after resitting then yes you stand a chance, however I wouldn't use all five places on your UCAS form for top Unis... I would include some safe backups.
Reply 6
This is what happened to me, after my exams didn't go as planned I stayed on an extra year to convert my AS lit into an a2 and re-did my history coursework. Last year my results at a2 were abc, but this year I got a*a, so overall I have a*aac. I would really recommend staying on a year, I'm not saying it won't be annoying and lonely at times but I know I wouldn't have been accepted at a Russell Group university if I had gone last year....good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending