The Student Room Group

Christian Pakistani girl arrested for 'blasphemy'

Scroll to see replies

quite simply it states you can be executed in paksitan for 'defiling' a quran. hence why the authorities have charged a teenage disabled girl - because that is what islamic law requires of them. What is it you are having difficulty understanding?
recently a politician began a campaign to remove the backward islamic blasphemy death penalty laws in pakistan. He was shot a few days later
Reply 81
Reading.
the article clearly states paksitan affords the death penalty for desecration of the quran, and this girl has been charged becuase she was found with torn pages in a bag - cant you read?
It would seem not - this is taken from the clearly linked bbc summary of pakistan blasphemy law

" In 1980, a clause was added to the law, making derogatory remarks against Islamic personages an offence, carrying a maximum punishment of three years in jail. In 1982, another clause prescribed life imprisonment for "wilful" desecration of the Koran, the Muslim holy book. In 1986, a separate clause was inserted to punish blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad and the penalty recommended was "death, or imprisonment for life", in that order.

In another high profile case of asia bibi was saved from the death penalty after much international condemnation of her charges. instead given a prison scentece for anti islam blasphemy. Coincidentally she was also christian. it was alsostated in another linked BBC story that "A blasphemy conviction carries the death penalty "
http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/france-decries-charge-against-pakistani-girl-1.1367192

France on Tuesday added its voice to mounting international concern over the arrest on blasphemy charges of a young Christian girl in Pakistan

I suggest then you dont attempt to contribute to subjects you have no understanding of, till you done at least a little reading.

it also jsut happened that i was fully aware fo the blasphemy laws in pakistan, if you werent, why try and claim otherwise?

And im glad france now have raised an interantional comment over this to the pakistani government , even if we havent yet.
imagine being imprisoned for burning a harry potter book... sounds ludacris right? :K:
actually you got quotes from the various news reports covering the story which all refuted your claim that there was A. no death penalty in pakistan, and B. that the girl had not been charged, which is perfectly clear.

So if you have anything else you wished to be refuted, make comment now.
alternatively try reading.

as regards guilty or not, thats irrelelvant- its a bull**** charge to jail a child for tearing up a quran, which is why some countires are speaking out against paksitan and rightly so, but we are taking our own sweet time which goes against our often lauded standard of morality - hence the thread
where did i say "she should be guilty"

i said quite clearly pakistani police had charged her
Reply 88
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
x

You two, keep it civil. No need for personal insults or baiting each other.
Original post by S-man10
You two, keep it civil. No need for personal insults or baiting each other.

since when is telling someone they cant read a post properly 'baiting someone' ?
Reply 90
when I heard about this on the news I was so sad for that poor girl, she must be terrified
Original post by Elderon
Pakistan really does have a very middle aged approach (a bit like Saudi Arabia) to religious and social freedom.

I think you mean "dark age".
Reply 92
Original post by Objective-Truth
I think you mean "dark age".

Well thanks for correcting me, I was in a bit of a rush and referring to the middle ages, but made it seem like a middle aged man haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending