The Student Room Group

Mpharm vs. Pharm.d

I'm a student that will begin studying the pharmacy course at UCL to achieve the mpharm degree. I know that then to be able to obtain the pharmaceutical liscense one would need to enroll into a one year pre-registration training and then pass a state exam.

However, I'm considering about taking a pharm.d degree once I have obtained my Mpharm degree but I'm not sure what are the differences are between the two degrees. Would I be at a disadvantage if I just have a Mpharm degree? Would it be better to have a pharm.d degree? Is there a difference between the job descriptions if a pharmacist has just an Mpharm with one that has both degrees?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Isn't the Pharm.D the American version of the MPharm? I mean, isn't that what you would do if you lived in the U.S. and wanted to be a pharmacist there?

Where do you plan on working as a pharmacist? If it is in the UK then the MPharm is the one you want.
UK - MPharm
USA - PharmD

Different countries... different course to become a pharmacist. With either one, you can move to another country and just do a conversion course/pass state exams to register there. Not sure how long it takes to do a conversion from USA to UK (not long I'd imagine knowing our immigration policies...) but I believe it takes 2 years to convert from UK to USA. Why waste money doing an PharmD after your MPharm when you can just convert and spend like 1/5th of the money? You'll end up learning the same stuff..
Reply 3
Original post by jami74
Isn't the Pharm.D the American version of the MPharm? I mean, isn't that what you would do if you lived in the U.S. and wanted to be a pharmacist there?

Where do you plan on working as a pharmacist? If it is in the UK then the MPharm is the one you want.

That is exactly what I am thinking that the Pharm.D is the American verision of the MPharm but then I found that there is a postgradaute career in the UK at the university of bradford that had a Pharm.D. Here is the link http://www.bradford.ac.uk/postgraduate/pharmacy/ Since I'm Italian and live in Italy and when I saw this link I wasn't 100% sure if this was necessary to do in the UK or simply just take the MPharm degree. I plan on working in the UK. Thanks for the feedback :smile:

Original post by Angrystrudel
UK - MPharm
USA - PharmD

Different countries... different course to become a pharmacist. With either one, you can move to another country and just do a conversion course/pass state exams to register there. Not sure how long it takes to do a conversion from USA to UK (not long I'd imagine knowing our immigration policies...) but I believe it takes 2 years to convert from UK to USA. Why waste money doing an PharmD after your MPharm when you can just convert and spend like 1/5th of the money? You'll end up learning the same stuff..

Thanks a bunch :smile:
Reply 4
Hello, I have been reading into this topic a bit recently.

The PharmD is the US version of our MPharm. The DPharm is new over here, and is basically a PhD, but just for Pharmacists. It has become available to turn pharmacists into researchers etc, it also covers all the framework to become a consultant clinical pharmacist - another reason why it has been created.

Usually takes around 5-6 years part time, I think the first intakes will be this September for around 4 Universities, as I know of: Bradford, Birmingham, Southampton and Keele.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
P.S. Notice the difference in DPharm and PharmD, the MPharm is what you want to begin with, the PharmD is afterwards.
oh
Reply 7
Original post by Surge1991
That is exactly what I am thinking that the Pharm.D is the American verision of the MPharm but then I found that there is a postgradaute career in the UK at the university of bradford that had a Pharm.D. Here is the link http://www.bradford.ac.uk/postgraduate/pharmacy/ Since I'm Italian and live in Italy and when I saw this link I wasn't 100% sure if this was necessary to do in the UK or simply just take the MPharm degree. I plan on working in the UK. Thanks for the feedback :smile:

Good grief, five years to complete!
Plus the entry requirements include a postgraduate qualification too. You are looking at 12 plus years from starting pharmacy to finishing this qualification.
Reply 8
Original post by degreeny
Hello, I have been reading into this topic a bit recently.

The DPharm is the US version of our MPharm. The PharmD is new over here, and is basically a PhD, but just for Pharmacists. It has become available to turn pharmacists into researchers etc, it also covers all the framework to become a consultant clinical pharmacist - another reason why it has been created.

Usually takes around 5-6 years part time, I think the first intakes will be this September for around 4 Universities, as I know of: Bradford, Birmingham, Southampton and Keele.

Oh I see alright makes sense. the information has been really helpful thanks :smile: Now i get the point of the PharmD in the UK
Reply 9
I was told that obtaining PharmD takes only one to two years from MPharm

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
I guess PharmD and DPharm aint the same. PharmD is Doctor of Pharmacy whereas DPharm means Diploma in Pharmacy,, which differs a lot from the former. Probably DPharm takes just 2 to 3 years but PharmD will take like about 5 to 6 years.
Original post by Nischita
I guess PharmD and DPharm aint the same. PharmD is Doctor of Pharmacy whereas DPharm means Diploma in Pharmacy,, which differs a lot from the former. Probably DPharm takes just 2 to 3 years but PharmD will take like about 5 to 6 years.

Nope, the PharmD is the USA and Canada's version of our primary pharmacy qualification, the MPharm. The DPharm is a professional doctorate (like the MD for doctors over here), which is a higher research degree that you opt to do once you have been professionally qualified and practising as a pharmacist for a few years.

Professional doctorates (DPharm and MD) usually take 2 years full-time, so equivalent to around 4 years part-time. Normal doctorates (PhD) usually take 3 years full-time, so equivalent to 5-6 years part-time.
Reply 12
Ohh ohkayy..The thing is its different for different countries,,thats the reason I always have a dilemma over this..Anyways thanks a lot for the needful info :smile: I wanna know if this field has a good scope and if so, can you suggest me which places and colleges as well ??
In india d pharm is diploma in pharmacy that is 2 yr course.pharm d is doctor of pharmacy ,6 yrs course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending