The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cutmeloose

I'm simply pointing out that the quote above isn't true. They obviously look past the grades. I've seen people with A*AB at A2 and get interviews despite planning to do a resit outside of the two years, so it's possible.

no need for the sarcasm seriously.

Oxford looking past grades, pft get real. If what youre claiming is true then its obviously VERY rare and under exceptional circumstances as they dont even consider resits!

No need for misguiding people seriously.
Original post by >Untitled<
Yes but its obviously VERY rare and under exceptional circumstances as they dont even consider resits!

I've said it before THEY WERE NOT UNDER EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES FFS. All that happened is that they missed their offer. I'm sure resits puts you at a 'considerable disadvantage' not seen them explicitly reject them.
Oxford looking past grades, pft get real. If what youre claiming is true then its obviously VERY rare and under exceptional circumstances as they dont even consider resits!

I've said it before THEY WERE NOT UNDER EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES FFS. All that happened is that they missed their offer. I'm sure resits puts you at a 'considerable disadvantage' not seen them explicitly reject them.

For what it's worth (from an Oxonian who missed her grades): it IS possible to get in without the grades BUT it is VERY rare. So we shouldn't be getting the OP's hopes up. Those who get in with missed grades already had an offer. Whereas the OP is trying to apply from scratch with A*AB, which isn't gonna cut it, unfortunately :nah:

And who said Oxford doesn't consider resits? :eyeball:
Being realistic, it seems unlikely. When an institution like Oxford gets thousands more applicants than it has places, there's little reason to pick someone with grades lower than the entry requirements when the students they do give offers to do have the required grades and above.
Reply 24

I'm simply pointing out that the quote above isn't true. They obviously look past the grades. I've seen people with A*AB at A2 and get interviews despite planning to do a resit outside of the two years, so it's possible.

no need for the sarcasm seriously.

Getting an interview =/= getting in.

On their respective websites and all their publications it is stated quite clearly that only those with AAA and above need consider themselves as possibly worthy of an Oxbridge education. That is their bar. Their first hurdle.
Speaking as someone who got A*AB after A2 and applied with that to Oxford for History I'd say your chances are unlikely.

I got to interview stage but was rejected afterwards and was essentially told in my feedback that my rejection was down to results.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
For what it's worth (from an Oxonian who missed her grades): it IS possible to get in without the grades BUT it is VERY rare. So we shouldn't be getting the OP's hopes up. Those who get in with missed grades already had an offer. Whereas the OP is trying to apply from scratch with A*AB, which isn't gonna cut it, unfortunately :nah:

And who said Oxford doesn't consider resits? :eyeball:

Our admissions officer told us that resits are a no no :confused:

Okay sure, lets say what youre saying IS true. It's very rare. Dont misguide OP.
You have a snowball's chance in hell.

Okay sure, lets say what youre saying IS true. It's very rare. Dont misguide OP.

Maybe its subject or college dependant? Because I know someone who applied to Oxford with AAB and was retaking the B subject and got an offer, but this was for Theology and Philsophy and I read that year (2010-11 cycle) 1 in 3 applicants for that were successful and I think it was Pembroke College he is at now.

Obviously it's better not to have to resit but it's not banned or anything. Methinks your admissions officer was exaggerating a little :yes:
Original post by pudsey_h11
If the offer from Oxford would be AAA they are unlikely to accept you with A*AB (from experience of friends A2 results!) and so if you are to apply I reckon you would need to at least retake a History module or two (how far were you from an A in that?) to try and improve your grades. As for the C in maths, this could work against you but it does all depend on your personal statement and interview, it wouldn't play a massive factor but they would definitely consider you more if you retook a History module and were predicted an A/A* in it.
Just curious, why do you no longer want to study Law? It's a dramatic change to Geography but I can see you must be gifted at it because of your result.

Thanks a lot for the advice, will call the admissions at Oxford for their advice.

As for the change in heart, geography began to appeal to me this year whilst learning about sustainability of energy, water food etc.

This is the question that I myself am still debating, a Law degree or a Geography degree at Oxford. In terms of skills gained and job prospects.

And I think the fact that I am Malaysian (chucked in lots of case studies about Malaysia), makes the subject very interesting!
Original post by gymrat
Haha we have the exact grades, for AS and A2. My plan was to hopefully get A*A*A this year and apply to LSE or cambridge but I got A*AB (I am so close to A*A*A), looks like we'll have reconsider univerisites :frown:, retakes are bad if you want to apply to a top university :frown:

Well done on the grades! I was hoping for an A*A*A too, unfortunately something went wrong in economics! :/

What are you hoping to study?
Original post by Podcaster
Shame on you. That money should be going to someone who really needs it to study at university and not some rich kid who is going to blow it all on alcohol.

You don't have any chance. Oxbridge's standard entry requirement for all programmes is A*AA. They are not like other unis where it's at the discretion of the department. Anyone without A*AA is considered to not be Oxbridge material in their eyes.

It was merely a joke about booze money, I go to a below average state school and am not privileged by any means.
Original post by Nathanielle
When you just want to change towards geography to get to Oxbridge, then it is a very bad idea. When you want to change anyway and only search places to fill up your four UCAS choices, then sure, it is worth to consider. But depending on the course structure, the C in Math may be a set back, too.

For math look here:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/geography/

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/geography/geography_entrance.html

Thanks for the link!

The C in Maths was a fourth A2 subject, would that put me at a disadvantage?

Apparently Oxford takes the Welsh Bacc as an A.

Then again, there's one thing to list it on the website, and another to make an offer to students based on the Welsh Bacc.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_applicants/international_qualifications/index.html
Reply 34
Original post by Kevin Wu
Well done on the grades! I was hoping for an A*A*A too, unfortunately something went wrong in economics! :/

What are you hoping to study?

I don't even know anymore, just hoping they've made a mistake on my paper for economics, getting that remarked.

On a unplanned gap year atm. What are you going to do?
I am in a similar situation! (Slightly different grades)

I have:

English Literature A*

History A*

Welsh (Second Language) B (79%!)

AS: AAAA

Can anyone rate my chances of Oxford, for English Literature?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
would the offer be aaa or a*aa, try to ring them and see what your chances are, if you want to do law try other unis as well.
You got into EXETER for LAW. That's a really competitive subject at a very good, prestigious university, with a scholarship!!!! seriously, just go and study Law at Exeter, your chances aren't that great at Oxford anyway.
Original post by GarethEvans
I am in a similar situation! (Slightly different grades)

I have:

English Literature A*

History A*

Welsh (Second Language) B (79%!)

AS: AAAA

Can anyone rate my chances of Oxford, for English Literature?

You're the same as the OP, I'm afraid: as it stands, you don't meet the requirements because of the B. Two A*s doesn't make up for that when it comes to Oxford :no:
Original post by Kevin Wu

"Advanced Diploma with two A grades at A-level alongside the Core Certificate at Level 3."

Can you just clarify, do you or don't you meet Oxford's grade requirements for candidates with a Welsh thingy.

If you do, then the fact you don't meet the requirements imposed on those who don't know one end of a leak from the other is irrelevant.

I presume you know that Jesus is the traditional Welsh college.

Latest

Trending

Trending