The Student Room Group

Can you be 'too poor' to eat at University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by XxelliexX
Agreed. I worked hard at sixth form and I'm going to an excellent uni, but I just can't stop worrying about money... why do I have to suffer because my parents earn a lot?? It's not like I'm seeing any benefit from it! It would suit me better if they were on minimum wage! Meanwhile this guy at my school loves to gloat to me about how he's receiving thousands and thousands of pounds of grant every year, and about how he's going to be so rich when he goes to uni, all because his parents have separated and he lives with his dad who is a cleaner, despite his mum (who is a dentist) also supporting him financially. He didn't work nearly as hard as I did!

I'm going to struggle to support myself, have to live off tescos own food for the whole three years and get the cheapest accommodation available. It doesn't help that Oxbridge have this stupid 'no job allowed' rule, so I can't even get a job during term time! And I've tried all summer to get a job, but because of the crappy economy I couldn't even get one at mcdonald's! So I've had to resort to voluntary work at a charity shop, which, don't get me wrong, is very fun, but I need MONEY!!

I've managed to save up about 1000 pounds because I got a paper round WHEN I WAS TEN for five years, but then the government decided last year that they're going to make it 18,000 pounds more expensive for us to go to uni (and that's even BEFORE interest!) and makes all of my hard work as a little ten year old saving up for university in 8 years time look ridiculous and pointless and a waste of time. I shouldn't have been so responsible, I should have just spent it on sweets and toys and ****.

AND, to top it all of, the fact that we're going to good universities, the fact that we're obviously hard working people, means that we're more likely to earn more than average, and so on top of paying 9% of our earnings paying back our student loan until we're 51, we're also going to have to pay ridiculous amounts of tax, and going to end up having to support all of our children through uni, because they're not going to be able to get grants or adequate loans either! ARGH!

I've thought countless times that I'd be better off just working at sainsbury's or something for the rest of my life, leaving it to the government to house me and give me benefits to live off.

This government really does penalise hard work.

/end rant.

If you seriously think that you have received zero benefit from your parents high earnings, then you are delusional and ignorant.
But those attributes are already evident, given that you can't even comprehend how taxes benefit you.

This has to be the most sickly post I've ever read on here, mainly because of how genuinely egregious it is, with no sign of trolling in sight.

You act as if there is not the option of not declaring your household income, where you still receive a valid amount. If you were such an advocate for personal responsibility you wouldn't be crying for the government to give you more, and you would have denied the handouts and gotten a job to save for your education. Speaking of which, why are you above getting a part time job? I'm mean obviously us working class people don't have to, as we are showered with truffles and champagne by the government, but it shouldn't stop you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by l.j.s18ftw
If you seriously think that you have received zero benefit from your parents high earnings, then you are delusional and ignorant.
But those attributes are already evident, given that you can't even comprehend how taxes benefit you.

This has to be the most sickly post I've ever read on here, mainly because of how genuinely egregious it is, with no sign of trolling in sight.

You act as if there is not the option of not declaring your household income, where you still receive a valid amount. If you were such an advocate for personal responsibility you wouldn't be crying for the government to give you more, and you would have denied the handouts and gotten a job to save for your education. Speaking of which, why are you above getting a part time job? I'm mean obviously us working class people don't have to, as we are showered with truffles and champagne by the government, but it shouldn't stop you.

You don't know me, don't make assumptions about my life.
If you had actually read my post properly you would have seen that I have tried to get a part time job this summer, but I couldn't. So I'm volunteering at a charity shop instead. Where did I say I'm ]above' getting a part time job??!
Reply 62

For the first part I bolded, if you do not declare your household income, you get the minimum loan, which is what she will be getting anyway, so this point is invalid.

For the second bolded part, if you read her post, you'll see that she had a part time job when she was 10 years old and saved £1000, and now she's applied to loads of places but no where is hiring, so she's not above getting a job, she is trying. And when she actually gets to uni, there is a 'no job' rule, so she can't get one then either.

If you're going to argue her points, at least read them properly first.
Student loans are designed to cover the costs of food, books, travel, entertainment etc. you won't get a separate allowance just because you buy your own food, you get more money if you're living away from home for this reason.

If you're good with your money you should be able to eat well for £20-30 a week, perhaps not even that! Be sure to look out for cheap deals and food that is close to the sell-by date that is often reduced but there's nothing wrong with it.
Original post by Zebrajess
For the first part I bolded, if you do not declare your household income, you get the minimum loan, which is what she will be getting anyway, so this point is invalid.

For the second bolded part, if you read her post, you'll see that she had a part time job when she was 10 years old and saved £1000, and now she's applied to loads of places but no where is hiring, so she's not above getting a job, she is trying. And when she actually gets to uni, there is a 'no job' rule, so she can't get one then either.

thank you :smile:
Reply 65
thank you :smile:

You're welcome :smile: I'll be in the same position when I go, and I hate it when people imply that you are almost spoilt for moaning about it.
Reply 66
You don't know me, don't make assumptions about my life.
If you had actually read my post properly you would have seen that I have tried to get a part time job this summer, but I couldn't. So I'm volunteering at a charity shop instead. Where did I say I'm ]above' getting a part time job??!

It is not my fault you act that you are the only poor student in the world, and therefore come across as obnoxious, delusional and ignorant. That is how you portrayed yourself, it is your responsibility to portray yourself correctly, not mine.

And what is stopping you from getting a job to avoid these government handouts?
You say "This government really does penalise hard work.", whilst crying for more money and claiming you can't get a job. Again, if you seriously think that you have received zero benefit from your parents high earnings, then you are delusional and ignorant.

Many other student have been able to get jobs, but you expect me to believe that you (who is going to Oxbridge?) can't?

"I'm going to struggle to support myself, have to live off tescos own food for the whole three years and get the cheapest accommodation available."

So does everyone else, you need a reality check.
Reply 67

How is the point invalid? My only point was that there is an evident safety guard for these situations.

You are both representing your university so abhorrently right now, it is actually cringe worthy. I mean is this seriously the caliber of people they are letting in to Oxbridge?

When did I say a part time job at university? Listen to your own advice, and read points properly before arguing against them. What has stopped her working whilst at A levels, like many of my friends have had to do? Absolutely nothing. I mean if she was aware that she was going to a no job university, with no financial help from her parents, surely that might trigger a inkling.
It is not my fault you act that you are the only poor student in the world, and therefore come across as obnoxious, delusional and ignorant. That is how you portrayed yourself, it is your responsibility to portray yourself correctly, not mine.

And what is stopping you from getting a job to avoid these government handouts?
You say "This government really does penalise hard work.", whilst crying for more money and claiming you can't get a job. Again, if you seriously think that you have received zero benefit from your parents high earnings, then you are delusional and ignorant.

Many other student have been able to get jobs, but you expect me to believe that you (who is going to Oxbridge?) can't?

"I'm going to struggle to support myself, have to live off tescos own food for the whole three years and get the cheapest accommodation available."

So does everyone else, you need a reality check.

Yeah I'm not going to even justify some of that stuff with a response... you seem very hypocritical.
Plus I never claimed that I was 'the only poor student in the world'.
I can't get a job... I don't see why you don't believe that :/ Plus I said I'm doing voluntary work at a charity shop, so it's not like I don't want a job if I'm even working for free... why would I choose to work for free if I can get paid? :s-smilie:
Erm, if everyone gets the cheapest accommodation available, why aren't all of the expensive rooms empty? :s-smilie: That makes no sense.
You're welcome :smile: I'll be in the same position when I go, and I hate it when people imply that you are almost spoilt for moaning about it.

Haha, yeah, the phrase "Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience" comes to mind right now xD
Reply 70

Because complaining about how poor people with cleaners for dads don't work as hard you, and how you have received no advantage from a well off background, combined with your disgust for working class people getting more funding than you, is not at all snotty behaviour more suited to a pram than a university.
Reply 71
How is the point invalid? My only point was that there is an evident safety guard for these situations.

You are both representing your university so abhorrently right now, it is actually cringe worthy. I mean is this seriously the caliber of people they are letting in to Oxbridge?

When did I say a part time job at university? Listen to your own advice, and read points properly before arguing against them. What has stopped her working whilst at A levels, like many of my friends have had to do? Absolutely nothing. I mean if she was aware that she was going to a no job university, with no financial help from her parents, surely that might trigger a inkling.

Your point is invalid because your first argument implied that by not declaring her parent's income, she could get a bigger loan, and not have the problems that she was moaning about. She gets the same amount whether she declares the income or not, so what does your point have to do with her post? Also it's not a 'safety guard' for these situations, as her situation is the same with or without it.

I never said I went to Oxbridge. I don't.

Telling me to read your posts when you clearly haven't read mine. I told you why she hasn't been working through A levels. She has tried to get a job, she is still trying, but currently can only get voluntary work. That is what is stopping her. She's tried but no one is hiring. It did 'trigger an inkling', as you put it, but she can't just magically get a job if there are none available to her.
I only pointed out about getting a part time job at university to show that she can't get a job to save up for uni, and won't be able to have one when she's there. Meaning she can't save up any money for any part of her degree, and therefore showing the need for a bigger loan in her current situation.
Reply 72
Yeah I'm not going to even justify some of that stuff with a response... you seem very hypocritical.
Plus I never claimed that I was 'the only poor student in the world'.
I can't get a job... I don't see why you don't believe that :/ Plus I said I'm doing voluntary work at a charity shop, so it's not like I don't want a job if I'm even working for free... why would I choose to work for free if I can get paid? :s-smilie:
Erm, if everyone gets the cheapest accommodation available, why aren't all of the expensive rooms empty? :s-smilie: That makes no sense.

I don't think you know what that word means. I pointed out your hypocrisy, not mine.

But you acted like it.

You can't get a job? That doesn't sound like a strong hard work ethic to me.
You obviously can get a job, you've had one and you've got one. Working for free is a luxury many people don't have, may I ask how are you buying food? I mean obviously your parents are not buying it because "It's not like I'm seeing any benefit from it!", and you can't be claiming benefits because "This government really does penalise hard work."

"Erm, if everyone gets the cheapest accommodation available, why aren't all of the expensive rooms empty? That makes no sense."

Why do the cheapest go the fastest? Because the majority of students come from poorer backgrounds than you, don't act dumb and think that constitutes for a point. It doesn't.
I don't think you know what that word means. I pointed out your hypocrisy, not mine.

But you acted like it.

You can't get a job? That doesn't sound like a strong hard work ethic to me.
You obviously can get a job, you've had one and you've got one. Working for free is a luxury many people don't have, may I ask how are you buying food? I mean obviously your parents are not buying it because "It's not like I'm seeing any benefit from it!", and you can't be claiming benefits because "This government really does penalise hard work."

"Erm, if everyone gets the cheapest accommodation available, why aren't all of the expensive rooms empty? That makes no sense."

Why do the cheapest go the fastest? Because the majority of students come from poorer backgrounds than you, don't act dumb and think that constitutes for a point. It doesn't.

I refuse to continue with this discussion because you appear to be incapable of using reason and you're unnecessarily rude. It's like talking to a brick wall.
Reply 74
Your point is invalid because your first argument implied that by not declaring her parent's income, she could get a bigger loan, and not have the problems that she was moaning about. She gets the same amount whether she declares the income or not, so what does your point have to do with her post? Also it's not a 'safety guard' for these situations, as her situation is the same with or without it.

I never said I went to Oxbridge. I don't.

Telling me to read your posts when you clearly haven't read mine. I told you why she hasn't been working through A levels. She has tried to get a job, she is still trying, but currently can only get voluntary work. That is what is stopping her. She's tried but no one is hiring. It did 'trigger an inkling', as you put it, but she can't just magically get a job if there are none available to her.
I only pointed out about getting a part time job at university to show that she can't get a job to save up for uni, and won't be able to have one when she's there. Meaning she can't save up any money for any part of her degree, and therefore showing the need for a bigger loan in her current situation.

By imply that you mean I never said it, so you have to manufactured a weak argument. There is no implication in the sentence "You act as if there is not the option of not declaring your household income, where you still receive a valid amount." that she will get a bigger loan, not one. I don't know her income, plus don't you get no grant if your parent earn over 50k? Therefore she would still get something by not declaring that, if I'm correct.

Obviously people are hiring since unemployment is down and most of my friends have part time jobs, none of which are Oxbridge material.

You never told me why she wasn't working through A levels, please bestow your glorious excuses upon me. Why out of all the students working part time during A levels and summer was she not able to find one single job? I mean she had 10 years experience. The story isn't fitting together and the pity party is crumbling.
Because complaining about how poor people with cleaners for dads don't work as hard you

I never said 'people' with cleaners for dads don't work as hard as me, I said this one particular person with a dad for a cleaner doesn't work as hard as me.

is not at all snotty behaviour more suited to a pram than a university.

Ouch, you hurt me deep man, you hurt me deep.
Reply 76
Because complaining about how poor people with cleaners for dads don't work as hard you, and how you have received no advantage from a well off background, combined with your disgust for working class people getting more funding than you, is not at all snotty behaviour more suited to a pram than a university.

I never said people with cleaners for dads don't work as hard. I never said anyone doesn't work as hard. Hard work has nothing to do with it. Our point was that 'poor people' will find paying bills, rent and buying food easier than us at university, which shows an unfair system. I understand that very poor people will need extra help than me, but I'd like a loan that at least covers my entire accommodation and go towards some food.

I never said I received no advantage from a well off background. But I'll just point out that whilst my parents' income is in the top bracket, I live in a 'deprived' area. I go to the best school in my town for GCSE pass rates, which is still 3% lower than the national average. I don't consider myself coming from a well off background, but I know I've still had a lot more advantages than some people. So I'm just saying that whilst they have a high income, you don't know how long they've had that income, what debts they've had, what assets their money is tied up in, mortgages, etc.

It's not 'disgust', I'm sorry if it came off that way, or if you feel offended. We're merely stating the flaws in the system, where we get penalised for our parent's income, even though in a lot of cases our parents can't help us out any more than some working class families could help out their children.

Obviously people are hiring since unemployment is down and most of my friends have part time jobs, none of which are Oxbridge material.

Maybe there's more vacancies in your area. Maybe the places that I applied to are put off by my good grades because they know it means I'm going to university soon and they'd rather hire someone who's more long term.

I mean she had 10 years experience.

What? :s-smilie:
Reply 78
If you were in my situation that is perfectly possible: My accommodation is £4850, my loan falls well short of that leaving me with approximately -15 GBP to live off per week. Thankfully, I along with the majority of others in this situation will have supportive and financially helpful parents along with the capacity to go out and get a job to support any parental donations.

Had this not been the case I would most certainly be too poor to eat
Reply 79
I never said people with cleaners for dads don't work as hard. I never said anyone doesn't work as hard. Hard work has nothing to do with it. Our point was that 'poor people' will find paying bills, rent and buying food easier than us at university, which shows an unfair system. I understand that very poor people will need extra help than me, but I'd like a loan that at least covers my entire accommodation and go towards some food.

I never said I received no advantage from a well off background. But I'll just point out that whilst my parents' income is in the top bracket, I live in a 'deprived' area. I go to the best school in my town for GCSE pass rates, which is still 3% lower than the national average. I don't consider myself coming from a well off background, but I know I've still had a lot more advantages than some people. So I'm just saying that whilst they have a high income, you don't know how long they've had that income, what debts they've had, what assets their money is tied up in, mortgages, etc.

It's not 'disgust', I'm sorry if it came off that way, or if you feel offended. We're merely stating the flaws in the system, where we get penalised for our parent's income, even though in a lot of cases our parents can't help us out any more than some working class families could help out their children.

That was obviously aimed at the person who said those things, you know the one who you are cheerleading for? And can't let defend themselves?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending