The Student Room Group

Masters/Work

If this is the wrong section, let me know guys......

Hi guys I was just thinking about my career and thought I might run this past you guys. So I studied BSc (hons) Computing, finishing in 2010 and after a brief stint abroad doing doing some consultancy work of my own back I came back to the UK. I have been working for a well known insurance company in sales (call centre) for the last 7 months. I have also been studying a MSc degree in Tech Management (part time, open uni). I have been finding this quite hard and my marks have been poor in my first assignments so I have been thinking about doing this instead.

I was thinking about changing to a part time rota at the company in my sales role. This would allow me to keep earning some money (base+bonus) while allowing me to put more time into my masters. I would then ask the company if I could spend 1 day a week at the head office (which will be quite a commute by train), unpaid with I.T. and change management which is what I want to do. I figure this would help me get relevant experience in my field and help me gain the right role later. What do you guys think, would this be a smart move or would it look like poor work ethic to move to a part time role? I would love to hear from anyone who would have some insight into this or has has done something similar :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
No-one here has done something similar?
Reply 2
Hi,

I am not sure you will get a response on here as the majority are undergraduate, there is a postgraduate forum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100 They will probably be better placed to advise.
Reply 3
It would not be considered poor work ethic to work part time in your main role whilst studying. Gaining relevant experience alongside is a positive thing to do. Most employer are asking where you worked, what you did and any significant achievements. The physical time spent doing it is less important, so long as you can demonstrate the skills gained on demand. On you CV, you do not have to specify whether the role was part time or full time. Application forms may be more specific, but in the current climate many people are employed on a part time basis.

The key thing is to ensure you allow enough time to complete your studies well. Sometimes it is not time spent, it is the quality and focus that affects your final mark. So make sure you get feedback on where you went wrong on your initial assignments. Do not be afraid to ask for help to improve the quality of your work. Transitioning from work to study can be a bit of a culture shock as at work the metrics are less nuanced, either the task got done or it didn't, whilst study is a scale of how well it was done.
Reply 4
Thanks for the help so far guys, appreciate it, I have created a new thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2092348&p=39136262#post39136262

Quick Reply

Latest