The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Can I Get Into Durham With These Grades' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi i'm hoping to apply to Durham later in the year. I got my AS results yesterday and they wernt as good as i was hoping for.

Economics - A
Geography - A
Maths - B
F.Maths C

I was looking at hopefully the politics or economics and politics course if i was to apply to Durham. Do you think these AS grades are realistically good enough to apply with. I was one mark off an A in maths so i'm going to have that remarked by the way.

Thanks in advance
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I've also got the same question.
I need AAA to study Politics at Durham, yesterday I got AABB in my AS results.

Politics - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B

I'm on track for an A* in Politics (if all goes well), and I've been told I can make my Chemistry up to an A next year.

So if all goes well, I'm sure I'll be fine with A*AA.
But will I get accepted with A*AB or even AAB (if things don't go as well as I hope).

Please help :confused: :confused:
Reply 82
All I can really use is my own experience, but my AS grades were:
Classical Civ. (one year early): A
Biology: A
Religious Studies: A
Maths: B
Literature: B
So I, too, had a share of B's. If you drop the C/B and have a good personal statement I think you have a chance. I got an offer for Classics that was AAA and achieved A*AA this year. Remember that if you are going for top unis, as long as your A levels are traditional it is the grades that matter, so taking on your highest grades to A2 is usually the best plan. I hate biology, I haven't enjoyed a single lesson all year, I only did it because I got an A at AS, it's about a letter on a piece of paper; a means to an end. Good luck!!
Original post by Rhysanator
I've also got the same question.
I need AAA to study Politics at Durham, yesterday I got AABB in my AS results.

Politics - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B

I'm on track for an A* in Politics (if all goes well), and I've been told I can make my Chemistry up to an A next year.

So if all goes well, I'm sure I'll be fine with A*AA.
But will I get accepted with A*AB or even AAB (if things don't go as well as I hope).

Please help :confused: :confused:

Is the offer AAA? You can definitely apply with those results, but you'll need to be predicted AAA. Unless you have mitigating/unusual circumstances, your offer will be AAA and it's pretty unlikely that they'd let you in on results day if you got A*AB or AAB (it's possible but would depend on how well everyone else did and therefore if they had spaces etc... best not to bet on that at all!). A*AB is NOT the same or 'equal' to AAA in Durham's eyes and if you got that they don't have to let you in.

Short answer: Get predicted A*AA/AAA, definitely apply, try your hardest to get AAA, good luck!
Hi guys, so I know NO ONE KNOWS! But, I'm anxious :biggrin:
So, my AS results came as a shock to me! I was predicted a U for philosophy and I managed to get a B, three marks off an A. (It's actually Rs, Philosophy and Ethics...) I developed a real love for it towards the end of the course, and now I've developed a real love for Durham, so it seems!
Oh and I do health and social care btec, and that's equiv to two a levels and from that I'm predicted DM, which is A B in ALEVEL talk.

- I want to do philosophy at Durham if that weren't clear btw.

My gcses aren't great at all:
1. English and lit (foundation) - C
2. Enterprise studies - B
3. Health and social care equiv to four a levels- Distinction* (So four A*'S)
4. Religious Studies- C
5. Drama - B
6. Single science- E or F?
7. Mathematics - G :frown:
8. Art- D
7. Health and social care (different type) distinction so an A.

Annd, that's all I have! I know, not great and not exactly filled with your traditional subjects.
So, what's my chances of getting in? What if I pull off one quite amazing personal statement with the help of God and I get predicted AAA (That's what they want for philosophy) ?

Tar.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by happyfeet1234
So, my AS results came as a shock to me! I was predicted a U for philosophy and I managed to get a B, three marks off an A. (It's actually Rs, Philosophy and Ethics...) I developed a real love for it towards the end of the course, and now I've developed a real love for Durham, so it seems!
Oh and I do health and social care btec, and that's equiv to two a levels and from that I'm predicted DM, which is A B in ALEVEL talk.

4. Religious Studies- C
5. Drama - B
8. Art- D

Annd, that's all I have! I know, not great and not exactly filled with your traditional subjects.
So, what's my chances of getting in? What if I pull off one quite amazing personal statement with the help of God and I get predicted AAA (That's what they want for philosophy) ?

Tar.

I think your 'non-traditional' subjects will make things tough for you, since Durham is quite a traditional place. :s-smilie: And if you're predicted a 'AB' A-level equivalent, that's probably lower than most Durham offers at an AAA or thereabouts. Plus your GCSE grades won't be winning you out over the majority of other applicants.

But it's been three years since I applied, and I only know much about Physics, so never trust what I say too much.
Thank you! :smile:

4. Religious Studies- C
5. Drama - B
8. Art- D

Tar.

The G in maths might drag you down, as I think a grade C is expected in most universities. Your best bet is to e-mail the department and ask whether or not its worth applying and areas which are weaker that you need to improve on. If they say that it'd be difficult to get in, then you might want to see if you're eligible for a foundation course into philosophy or see if resitting the necessary GCSEs is an issue. Most people perform a lot better at GCSEs after a year of A-levels, as the A-levels are a lot more demanding and full of content.
Reply 88
I've never heard of a 'G' grade before haha. I thought you'd made it up for a minute :biggrin: As others have said, I don't think you'd stand much of a chance at Durham with those GCSE's or the BTEC subjects. If you can get onto a foundation course that might work though.
Unless you have mitigating circumstances, I think you'd be very unlikely to get an offer. However, definitely email/ring up the admissions tutors (late next week after clearing is over!) and get their professional advice.

The problem is you aren't meeting their expectations on any of the 3 key things:

1. Predicted grades - If you are predicted A, DM then that's only AAB in A-level terms which is below the standard offer. They will have enough applicants who are predicted AAA or A*s and As to fill the course many times over so not being predicted the typical offer is often the first cut off point. Admissions tutors won't want to give offers to people who are unlikely to meet the offer as this causes uncertainty in trying to ensure they get the right number of students.

2. GCSE grades - again, the vast majority of applicants will have all/mainly A*s, As and Bs in traditional academic subjects. There are some logic modules in philosophy so you having a G in maths and E/F in science doesn't show you'll be able to cope with that side of the course, and the relatively low scores (Cs) in traditional essay subjects will be compared to people with A*s and As.

3. You have lots of vocational qualifications - the odd vocational qualification is fine but you have very few academic subjects and philosophy is one of the most academic degrees in existence! So it will be hard for the admissions tutors to be confident that you can cope with the academic rigour of the degree course. The fact that you've only studied two subjects (as your BTEC is a double qualification) again doesn't help as your good grades are concentrated in a very narrow range of subjects (almost exclusively health and social care), so again it's hard to be confident that you can cope with something that isn't social work/healthcare/vocational. But a G seems like an uncommonly low score, if you have mitigating circumstances or something then tell the admissions tutors when you ring up.

Your only academic subjects are Cs and below (apart from your AS Philosophy which is an excellent grade).

The problem is, your application will be lined up against candidates with all A*s and As in academic subjects - how can an admissions tutor justify picking you over them? :s-smilie:

But as I said, definitely ring them up and chat about it, they may say that it's fine or be able to suggest the foundation course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TLMag
. I want to study French and ab initio Spanish at Durham.I got 3 A* and 7 A at GCSE but AABC at AS level inc C in General Studies ( A in French). I've dropped the C now. After speaking to my teachers about predictions, I should be predicted A*A*A....

I have lots of extra curricular to display my love of French too. I've been to France with college, I do a Lvl 4 interpreting course, i have read books (l'etranger by Camus and Madame Bovary) in french and am doing a further EPQ on a piece of french literature (le malade imaginaire). I've done open evenings for french and have done some french teaching at local high schools. Outside the French, I play golf, i've done conservation work and got a certificate for it, have attended youth parliament meetings for the past 18 months too. I have also done voluntary work and participated in social justice group activites.

With all things considered and with my AS grades, would i make a competitive application to Durham as it will be my first preference too???
Any response would be greatly appreciated =)

Hi,

You don't list your unis in order of preference and in fact Durham won't know where else you've applied. If you love Durham then I think you should definitely apply, you said it's your first choice so I'm guessing your other choices have lower entry requirements and/or are less competitive? In which case that's great as you have backups :smile:

Don't worry about general studies as Durham doesn't consider it apart from for a couple of courses, however when it's excluded do you only have 3 AS levels? Not a major problem but the vast majority of applicants will have 4 or 5 AS levels, excluding general studies. AAB at AS is great and the EPQ in French is excellent too. Lots of people who get AAA or better at the end of A2 didn't get straight As at AS and unis know this. The A*A*A prediction is obviously brilliant as well as it's above the entry requirements. So overall as you get 5 choices on UCAS I can't see a reason why you shouldn't apply, just make sure you have some back up choices too. Also, anguages aren't very popular as degree courses in general which makes it even better for you!
Original post by undergradstudent
Unless you have mitigating circumstances, I think you'd be very unlikely to get an offer. However, definitely email/ring up the admissions tutors (late next week after clearing is over!) and get their professional advice.

The problem is you aren't meeting their expectations on any of the 3 key things:

1. Predicted grades - If you are predicted A, DM then that's only AAB in A-level terms which is below the standard offer. They will have enough applicants who are predicted AAA or A*s and As to fill the course many times over so not being predicted the typical offer is often the first cut off point. Admissions tutors won't want to give offers to people who are unlikely to meet the offer as this causes uncertainty in trying to ensure they get the right number of students.

2. GCSE grades - again, the vast majority of applicants will have all/mainly A*s, As and Bs in traditional academic subjects. There are some logic modules in philosophy so you having a G in maths and E/F in science doesn't show you'll be able to cope with that side of the course, and the relatively low scores (Cs) in traditional essay subjects will be compared to people with A*s and As.

3. You have lots of vocational qualifications - the odd vocational qualification is fine but you have very few academic subjects and philosophy is one of the most academic degrees in existence! So it will be hard for the admissions tutors to be confident that you can cope with the academic rigour of the degree course. The fact that you've only studied two subjects (as your BTEC is a double qualification) again doesn't help as your good grades are concentrated in a very narrow range of subjects (almost exclusively health and social care), so again it's hard to be confident that you can cope with something that isn't social work/healthcare/vocational. But a G seems like an uncommonly low score, if you have mitigating circumstances or something then tell the admissions tutors when you ring up.

Your only academic subjects are Cs and below (apart from your AS Philosophy which is an excellent grade).

The problem is, your application will be lined up against candidates with all A*s and As in academic subjects - how can an admissions tutor justify picking you over them? :s-smilie:

But as I said, definitely ring them up and chat about it, they may say that it's fine or be able to suggest the foundation course.

Yeah, I sorta agree. I don't have full confidence in the idea of me getting a conditonal offer from my personal statement which I'm currently working on and aiming to make perfect! Hopefully I'll get predicted AAA in September though, (that's what they want for philosophy).....I don't know if it's worth me applying. Ah, I really want to go there!
Reply 92
Why not? I'd give it a shot.
I got no A's at GCSEs a few odd Bs actually and i didnt get all As and A*s at alevels, yet Durham still took me.
Reply 93
Yeah, I sorta agree. I don't have full confidence in the idea of me getting a conditonal offer from my personal statement which I'm currently working on and aiming to make perfect! Hopefully I'll get predicted AAA in September though, (that's what they want for philosophy).....I don't know if it's worth me applying. Ah, I really want to go there!

Definitely ring them up next week and ask. They may suggest the foundation year or something.
Reply 94

4. Religious Studies- C
5. Drama - B
8. Art- D

Tar.

The admissions tutor for Philosophy is Dr Andy Hamilton. You can contact him here. I do know his email address though, I've emailed him both as an applicant and current Durham students/one of his tutees, but as it's not listed on the website or directory I don't think he likes it on display. He is a reasonble and helpful guy and always quick to reply to application queries (at least in my experience).

However, your poor grades in academic subjects at GCSE will be a major hindrance. Alternative qualifications are accepeted but ideally the BTEC will be alongside at least two A-levels (either a science or humanities subject).

What sort of philosophy related reading are you doing (or hoping to do)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95

4. Religious Studies- C
5. Drama - B
8. Art- D

Tar.

I think it will be v tough but not impossible.

Do you have any "contextual" issues? - ie. do you go to a poorly performing school? ... if, overall, the GCSEs aren't great at your school then that will help, or if you have any other issues that have made studying tough for you.

Secondly work now preparing for your Personal Statement. You need to demonstrate how motivated you are by reading round the subject (outside school) and try searching for public lectures/ talks you can attend at your local Uni.
Also listen to podcasts on Radio 4 in the area of philosophy, ethics, religion etc.

This will all show how committed you are and will help if you get an interview (yes, interviews are rare but they do happen if a 'non-standard' applicant sounds interesting ) . In your case, I think the other poster is correct, email the Admissions tutor and explain your situation and even ask if you can go for a visit and have a chat with him? (Double check your spellings/ typos etc on your email as it gives a better impression. Sorry, I know this may sound patronising but little things can make a difference ).

Durham is lovely but bear in mind there are loads of excellent Unis for Philosophy eg Sheffield, Newcastle, Birmingham etc that will ask for less than AAA. Also I urge you to visit HEYTHROP COLLEGE, University of London. They have brill courses and ask for between ABB and BBC. It's a really great place for Philosophy and highly thought of. Try to get to an open day and ask to speak to a tutor for advice.

Best of luck, go for it! :smile:
Original post by KitKatClub
I think it will be v tough but not impossible.

Do you have any "contextual" issues? - ie. do you go to a poorly performing school? ... if, overall, the GCSEs aren't great at your school then that will help, or if you have any other issues that have made studying tough for you.

Secondly work now preparing for your Personal Statement. You need to demonstrate how motivated you are by reading round the subject (outside school) and try searching for public lectures/ talks you can attend at your local Uni.
Also listen to podcasts on Radio 4 in the area of philosophy, ethics, religion etc.

This will all show how committed you are and will help if you get an interview (yes, interviews are rare but they do happen if a 'non-standard' applicant sounds interesting ) . In your case, I think the other poster is correct, email the Admissions tutor and explain your situation and even ask if you can go for a visit and have a chat with him? (Double check your spellings/ typos etc on your email as it gives a better impression. Sorry, I know this may sound patronising but little things can make a difference ).

Durham is lovely but bear in mind there are loads of excellent Unis for Philosophy eg Sheffield, Newcastle, Birmingham etc that will ask for less than AAA. Also I urge you to visit HEYTHROP COLLEGE, University of London. They have brill courses and ask for between ABB and BBC. It's a really great place for Philosophy and highly thought of. Try to get to an open day and ask to speak to a tutor for advice.

Best of luck, go for it! :smile:

Thank you for this! All posts are really helpful. Yeah, my philosophy teacher admires HEYTHROP COLLEGE, she always recommends it to her students who want to take philosophy/religion in uni. But, I know I would rather be surrounded by other people who take a range of other courses :smile:

No, I don't have a reason for my bad GCSE grades I don't think so anyway? I was a really lazy student...Although, I do come from a family of many arguments which without me lying I can say, has made revising (when I did) difficult. Hmm, no, I don't have a sufficient enough reason other than me not taking my education seriously at the time. Could I not let him know that I have changed and developed into a much mature, independent, determined, hardworking individual who is now craving to learn? I will contact him today and let him hear me out.

That's a very good idea about going to philosophy lectures. I tried checking some out around where I live (The London universities) but I couldn't find anything...although, this was before I got my grade! Now I know I can actually apply for this course so I'll look harder.
And may I add, just two days ago I went along with my Muslim friend's to their local Mosque where they read the last chapters of the Quran out loud :smile: I wore a scarf and watched them pray etc... It was very enlightening...

Thank you!
Original post by River85
The admissions tutor for Philosophy is Dr Andy Hamilton. You can contact him here. I do know his email address though, I've emailed him both as an applicant and current Durham students/one of his tutees, but as it's not listed on the website or directory I don't think he likes it on display. He is a reasonble and helpful guy and always quick to reply to application queries (at least in my experience).

However, your poor grades in academic subjects at GCSE will be a major hindrance. Alternative qualifications are accepeted but ideally the BTEC will be alongside at least two A-levels (either a science or humanities subject).

What sort of philosophy related reading are you doing (or hoping to do)?

Currently...

I have been doing reading on actual philosophers such as Aristotle (I really like him) And just focusing on Greek Philosophy as that is what I covered in philosophy in year 12, I really admire those philosophers so I enjoy reading about them independently and in depth. Although, I know I need to read a range of other philosophy related texts over summer.

I was planning on going to a temple and Synagogue this summer, there's one my mother and I will be going to next week Sunday (they allow observers) and the temple, well I'm seeking into that and I've already been to a church and Mosque and observed the differences. Hmmm.. I need to pick up the paste.
Original post by Aula
Definitely ring them up next week and ask. They may suggest the foundation year or something.

Is there such thing as a foundation year in philosophy at Durham?
Original post by gigi93
Why not? I'd give it a shot.
I got no A's at GCSEs a few odd Bs actually and i didnt get all As and A*s at alevels, yet Durham still took me.

hmm :rolleyes:

...I think I will be applying...I'd regret it so much not to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending