The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lady_ribena
Think carefully before doing a language, you HAVE to go to all the lectures and do loads of out of class work inorder to pass. If you fail the first term exams its fine as you can take them with your second term exams, but if you fail your second term exams you are screwed. You have to pass ALL exams inorder to pick up the 20 credits, if you suck there is no 10 credit option.

In conclusion if you choose to so a language, choose a level which you can already do. And dont choose japanese (I have a friend who's brother is fluent and she is still only barely scraping passes with her brothers help)

well i guess that u can choose a level u can already do if you want to have an easier time but it isn't really worth it if you actually want to learn the language. thnx for tellin us all these by the way. it's helpful.... but i dont know. i think that i will opt for easy CPS as well because i will have a lot on my hands first term. moving into another country, social life, exercising and what appears to be a very demanding course! so dont know. giving yourself brakes is always good!
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 21
rocketboy86
There are Russian and Japanese CSPs. That's diverse.

my course seems to be quite demanding...and japanese is hard! i can speak russian at very very beginners level and it isnt as hard as everyone thinks!
I think I've just had a bad experience with the CSP system...my two are Beginners French, and Planetary Geology, both of which I have found incredibly dull.

The Beginners French teacher is patronising, its as if she doesn't want to be teaching the class to a bunch of people who can't speak French. A few weeks ago she pretty much told us we all sucked at French, which doesn't do much for the self-esteem.

Planetary Geology is just dull. The lecturer just reads off lecture slides that were probably made a very long time ago, and offers no extra input. He makes a potentially very interesting course very boring by not making an effort...he too looks like he'd rather be elsewhere than teaching the course.

Though I've heard good things about a few of them....one for musicians to go for is Orchestral Studies, because you'll be put into the Concert Band, and that's great fun to do for CSP. Heard good things about Web Design as well, and also a history one. The Language ones are ones to avoid...I've heard nothing but bad things about them, mostly due to quality of teaching.

Hope this helps!
thekillerpie
Planetary Geology is just dull. The lecturer just reads off lecture slides that were probably made a very long time ago, and offers no extra input. He makes a potentially very interesting course very boring by not making an effort...he too looks like he'd rather be elsewhere than teaching the course.

I had a lecturer like that, although he is no longer with us... :frown:

Latest