The Student Room Group

Maths AEA

Hey, just wondering has anybody on here sat this paper? I need a merit in this summers exam, my school doesnt offer any help or even know what the paper is.... so Im thinking of getting a tutor to help me go over some past papers. How have other people found the paper? How did you prepare? I know a merit requires 50%, so Im praying I scrape it to meet my offer for uni. Anyboy got any advice regarding this paper?
Reply 1
what uni? i've heard the AEA isn't too difficult for those who will get a comfortable A.....
Reply 2
Its for Warwick uni, Ive put it as my firm. I should get a comfortable A yet Im hoping I do not stuggle having only a single maths background and hence the reasoning why I need to sit this paper.
Reply 3
AEA is a paper on topics in C1-C4 (which is Core Pure stuff).

Did it last year, got Merit. I remember doing a past paper before the real thing.

My advice is first make sure that you are confident about C1-C4.
Second, do lots and lots of past papers.

AEA past papers are available at www.maths-exam.com

Have fun :biggrin:
Reply 4
Cheers for the link, are the results from the AEA released the same date as the A-Level results?
Reply 5
Phil181987
Cheers for the link, are the results from the AEA released the same date as the A-Level results?

Yes.:smile:

Good luck btw
Reply 6
Why don't you do STEP I and II as well?
Reply 7
Phil181987
Hey, just wondering has anybody on here sat this paper? I need a merit in this summers exam, my school doesnt offer any help or even know what the paper is.... so Im thinking of getting a tutor to help me go over some past papers. How have other people found the paper? How did you prepare? I know a merit requires 50%, so Im praying I scrape it to meet my offer for uni. Anyboy got any advice regarding this paper?

I got a distinction on the AEA paper on the same day that I failed STEP II :tongue:. It was a straaange paper, I tells yer. I just didn't really try that much with STEP (even though I had the prospect of going to Cambridge to entice me), so you can imagine how much I bothered trying for the AEA...

Just look at a couple of past papers and don't worry about it, you shouldn't do too badly if you're expected to comfortably get an A.

By the way, I'm at Warwick :smile:. Good luck for getting in!
Reply 8
Phil181987
Im thinking of getting a tutor to help me go over some past papers.

Please post your questions here. I would be happy to help.
There are some exceptionaly talented students who are so in tune with their maths that they can just do the AEA questions off the cuff.

Equally there are some very talented students who cannot; To ensure your best performance work through the last 4/5 years papers, post for help when needed, ultimately make sure that you have solutions for all questions, and that you thoroughly understand them.

I have my full solutions for the last 5 years floating around at work somewhere and will scan and post if wanted.

Mrm.
Reply 10
Phil181987

I don't think a tutor will really help significantly - the papers are designed to test how you think, not what you know. If you get stuck on questions then there are usually lots of kind people on TSR ready to point you in the right direction.

The best way to prepare really is to do past papers and look at the booklet designed for STEP preperation (but also useful for the AEA and general interest) here: http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/advancedproblems/

As for actually sitting the exam, remember that you don't have to do the questions in order and that the questions are supposed to be slightly harder than A-Level. Try not to get frustrated or annoyed if you can't do a question, simply come back to it later. For example, I sat the AEA in 2005 and was able to do around four questions in the first hour, but the others I'd left and come back to took rather longer - including one that took me around an hour.
Reply 11
Wow thanks alot for all the advice. Sounds like Im best going thorugh the past papers, nice one for the offers of help, Im sure I'll take you up on them lol If anyone has the worked solutions, id really appreciate a copy! Thanks.
Reply 12
Hello!

There are some past papers for the AEA here:
http://www.mathsexams.ukteachers.com/Edexcel/

(Sadly I don't know any more about it than that!)

love danniella
Reply 13
Phil181987
Wow thanks alot for all the advice. Sounds like Im best going thorugh the past papers, nice one for the offers of help, Im sure I'll take you up on them lol If anyone has the worked solutions, id really appreciate a copy! Thanks.

Aww yeah, you're that Warwick guy again :biggrin:.

Warwick will send a sheet with a few past AEA questions on, if they did what they did last year. There's also some page on the Warwick website with a couple of past papers on with hints/solutions available if you want them given to you.

Latest