The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The medjai
I too got an offer for Owens Park, but I'd much rather have a self catered residency. Is there anyway we can get another offer? I was about to reject my offer but apparently this would mean I no longer require University accommodation. Is there anyone I can email or talk to about this?

call them +44 161 275 2888

and please,write here if you accomplish something,I'm having the same thoughts as you
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
Original post by Black-Adder
call them +44 161 275 2888

and please,write here if you accomplish something,I'm having the same thoughts as you

I just e-mailed them so I'll see how that goes. I'll try and give them a call later, thanks for the number.
quick question:

Are there stoves in OP kitchens??
Reply 23
I just e-mailed them so I'll see how that goes. I'll try and give them a call later, thanks for the number.

I gave them a call and email and they sent me...
"At this stage it is unlikely that we will be able to change your allocation and, if you haven’t already, it is strongly recommended that you accept your offer*and make your pre-payment of £400, if you fail to do this before your accommodation deadline expires your offer of accommodation will be withdrawn and it is unlikely of reallocation being offered, you must therefore find alternative accommodation within the private sector."

Its just a bit uncertain when they keep saying 'unlikey',since that doesn't really mean no :/ I wana be in fallowfield!! :frown:
Don't know whether to take the risk and reject, and hope they have other places...
Reply 24
Original post by sully1993
"At this stage it is unlikely that we will be able to change your allocation and, if you haven’t already, it is strongly recommended that you accept your offer*and make your pre-payment of £400, if you fail to do this before your accommodation deadline expires your offer of accommodation will be withdrawn and it is unlikely of reallocation being offered, you must therefore find alternative accommodation within the private sector."

Its just a bit uncertain when they keep saying 'unlikey',since that doesn't really mean no :/ I wana be in fallowfield!! :frown:
Don't know whether to take the risk and reject, and hope they have other places...

Looks like we have no other choice but to accept our offers. It's not the end of the world but it's going to cost me a lot more money.
Original post by Black-Adder
quick question:

Are there stoves in OP kitchens??

I *believe* (don't quote me on this) that there are electric hobs but no ovens in OP. Unfortunately I never paid that much attention when I was visiting friends there!

I too got an offer for Owens Park, but I'd much rather have a self catered residency. Is there anyway we can get another offer? I was about to reject my offer but apparently this would mean I no longer require University accommodation. Is there anyone I can email or talk to about this?

Looks like we have no other choice but to accept our offers. It's not the end of the world but it's going to cost me a lot more money.

I think you are both best off accepting your offers, seeing how things go, and then swapping accommodation a few weeks after you move in. As they say, the only alternative is private sector accommodation - which tends to be expensive, unsociable and generally undesirable.

The only exception to this is that a member (roddyframe?) phoned up yesterday and was told that the only places available in Fallowfield were Ashburne (catered, shared bathroom) and Oak House (self catered, shared bathroom - it sounds like this is what Medjai is after). I have no idea if these are still available today, but it might be worth asking.

It should be noted that most people end up loving their halls wherever they end up - and those that don't, swap. Places always come up in halls as there are always some people who drop out very early on (as early as freshers week) and want to swap away from that hall.

Seriously, give wherever you're living a chance! I was in the same position as you last year, went into halls miserable that I wasn't in Fallowfield and complained loads, but I ended up having the time of my life and literally wouldn't have swapped for the world. If it's the whole social aspect, there will be party goers wherever you end up. It's university! Most people only stay in Fallowfield for pre drinks anyway then all move on, you will have plenty of opportunities to go over there. If it's really that bad transfer in October, but there is no point trying now really, you'll end up in private halls which will be a million times worse.

At the end of the day it's you that creates your halls experience!
(edited 11 years ago)
Can anyone tell me what date we can start moving into our halls? I haven't got my offer yet so I don't know where I will be staying.

Wherever I am staying would I be definitely able to move in on Friday 14th? I want to see if I can get my flight over booked here.

Thank you.
Ok so i really need to get this done so i can have the best chance of getting the campus i want but i'm really struggling with this.

I really want to like in Fallowfield as the general consensus is that it is the social hub and bar a degree which i'm supposed to say lol i'm going to uni to have a great time. I want to meet fun young people like myself who don't take themselves to seriously and who are up for having a good time.

I'm not posh or rich either so i don't really want to be stuck with a bunch of posh people whom i have nothing in common with.

I wanted to live in Oak's House because it's self-catered which i prefer and it is also renound for being a fun hall to live in. I'm kinda having doubts now though after watching a tour of the halls on youtube provided by someone on this site. It seems really small and i'm quite big at 6'4" i can't really be dealing with low cellings and cramped conditions uno. Also it kinda gives of the prison cell vibe but if it will offer me a great time other the others then i'll pick it.

My options for my preferences are Firs Villa, Sheavyn, Richmond, Oak and Linton House. All halls in Fallowfield and self catered. Which 3 should i pick and in what order?
Original post by The_Irishlad
Can anyone tell me what date we can start moving into our halls? I haven't got my offer yet so I don't know where I will be staying.

Wherever I am staying would I be definitely able to move in on Friday 14th? I want to see if I can get my flight over booked here.

Thank you.

You can move in on any date, within reasonable hours (I'm not sure of the exact hours, but if you arrive between 9am and 5pm you'll be fine) between Thurs 13th and Sun 16th September. This is the case regardless of which halls you are moving into, so long as they are owned by UoM.

If it helps, there is a bus (much cheaper than a taxi!) that goes from the airport to the city centre, via Fallowfield halls, near VP halls and through the main academic campus (close to City Campus halls). It's the number 43 http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_28148_43.pdf
Original post by Origami Bullets
You can move in on any date, within reasonable hours (I'm not sure of the exact hours, but if you arrive between 9am and 5pm you'll be fine) between Thurs 13th and Sun 16th September. This is the case regardless of which halls you are moving into, so long as they are owned by UoM.

If it helps, there is a bus (much cheaper than a taxi!) that goes from the airport to the city centre, via Fallowfield halls, near VP halls and through the main academic campus (close to City Campus halls). It's the number 43 http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_28148_43.pdf

Nice one.

Thanks very much pal:smile:
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm part way through turning this into a big info post on individual halls. If you have anything to contribute, then it is very welcome!

Fallowfield Campus
Oak House - self catered, shared bathroom, optional sink

Spoiler

Sheavyn House - self catered, en suite. Shares some facilities with Ashburne Hall, which is just next door.

Spoiler

Owens Park - catered, shared bathroom.

Spoiler

Ashburne Hall - catered, shared bathroom and some of the biggest rooms in Fallowfield.

Spoiler

Richmond Park - self-catered, en suite. Some of the newest accommodation that the university has to offer, it tends to have slightly plusher fittings & fixtures than some of the other halls, but it is more expensive. For those of you who like trivia, it is built on the site where the 1893 FA Cup Final was played (Fallowfield Stadium)!

Spoiler

Woolton Hall - catered, with the option of shared bathroom or en suite

Spoiler

Ok so i really need to get this done so i can have the best chance of getting the campus i want but i'm really struggling with this.

I really want to like in Fallowfield as the general consensus is that it is the social hub and bar a degree which i'm supposed to say lol i'm going to uni to have a great time. I want to meet fun young people like myself who don't take themselves to seriously and who are up for having a good time.

I'm not posh or rich either so i don't really want to be stuck with a bunch of posh people whom i have nothing in common with.

I wanted to live in Oak's House because it's self-catered which i prefer and it is also renound for being a fun hall to live in. I'm kinda having doubts now though after watching a tour of the halls on youtube provided by someone on this site. It seems really small and i'm quite big at 6'4" i can't really be dealing with low cellings and cramped conditions uno. Also it kinda gives of the prison cell vibe but if it will offer me a great time other the others then i'll pick it.

My options for my preferences are Firs Villa, Sheavyn, Richmond, Oak and Linton House. All halls in Fallowfield and self catered. Which 3 should i pick and in what order?
I'd go for Oak followed by Sheavyn followed by Richmond. I've been allocated in OH and I can't wait! Literally, relax! I haven't seen the halls first hand but I'm sure they were built to accommodate all types of students, tall and short (which I am :cute:)
Original post by gonnabesomething
I'd go for Oak followed by Sheavyn followed by Richmond. I've been allocated in OH and I can't wait! Literally, relax! I haven't seen the halls first hand but I'm sure they were built to accommodate all types of students, tall and short (which I am :cute:)

Yeah your right guess we could work together :biggrin: i'll help you get the cereal from the top shelf and you'll help me get the bowls from the bottom self lol haha.

Yeah you're probably right what have you heard about Sheavyn and Richmond btw? I've heard Richmond is really expensive and nothing really goes on there BUT it is in Fallowfield so your kinda guaranteed a good time and it looks amazing from the outside so i'll probably put it as my 2nd or 3rd choice.

Have you heard anything about the other self-catered halls in Fallowfield? Like Firs Villa and Linton House?
Got an offer for oak-house. Worried I'm not going to get any sleep :s-smilie:
Original post by Alevelsareboring
Yeah your right guess we could work together :biggrin: i'll help you get the cereal from the top shelf and you'll help me get the bowls from the bottom self lol haha.

Yeah you're probably right what have you heard about Sheavyn and Richmond btw? I've heard Richmond is really expensive and nothing really goes on there BUT it is in Fallowfield so your kinda guaranteed a good time and it looks amazing from the outside so i'll probably put it as my 2nd or 3rd choice.

Have you heard anything about the other self-catered halls in Fallowfield? Like Firs Villa and Linton House?

hahaa! Not that short, and you're not that tall :tongue: But joking aside, I've heard OH is the place to be for a good social life and that the noise isn't so bad that you fail, unless you let yourself :L

Not heard too much about the others, I know Sheavyn is meant to be good as well but it's a bit more pricey, and yeah, apparently Richmond Park is known as 'Rich Man's Park' and it's full of the well off and some 'rah' types. Not heard about Linton or Firs, I'm sure someone else on the Forum, perhaps Origami Bullets, could give you more info :smile:
Original post by Alevelsareboring

Firs Villa is postgrad only, and Linton House is for couples / families only.

Another poster rang up yesterday and was told that (in Fallowfield) only Oak House and Ashburne Hall were still available. I lived in Oak House, and whilst I am not tall, I had a flatmate of roughly your height who had no problems.

I did tell you to apply as early as possible so you had the best possible chance of getting the accommodation you wanted :rolleyes:
Reply 37
Hello,

I was offered a place at Whiteworth Park despite that not being any of my preferences. I wouldn't mind going there but I have been assigned the ground floor, which is apparently only Male. I don't want to live with only men. I don't mean that in any sexual way or anything, I tend to get on well with girls, that's all.

I'm really tempted to appeal, but I'm not sure what to do? :frown:
Original post by JuliusDS92
Got an offer for oak-house. Worried I'm not going to get any sleep

I lived there and had no problems with sleep, although I am a deep sleeper. The only times you tend to get noticeable amounts of noise are between 9.30pm and 11pm or so, when people start gathering outside to go onto clubs.

Bear in mind that the noise level dies down over the course of the year, and that during exams there is almost no noise for two reasons - firstly, everyone else has exams too, and secondly that the tutor team enforces noise bans.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lethos
Hello,

I was offered a place at Whiteworth Park despite that not being any of my preferences. I wouldn't mind going there but I have been assigned the ground floor, which is apparently only Male. I don't want to live with only men. I don't mean that in any sexual way or anything, I tend to get on well with girls, that's all.

I'm really tempted to appeal, but I'm not sure what to do? :frown:

You can try to appeal, but to be honest I don't think it's that bad. Girls are forever coming and going out of the male flats anyway (not in that way! :P) Most of my free time was spent in the male flats. Girls will be living above you and everyone is sociable towards each other so you probably won't notice, no one really sticks to their own flat I found anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest