The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m_k96
Oh dear, I didn't realise this was a general accommodation thread, sorry but for Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A quick Google search comes up with an Amazon list, although I have no idea how up to date or relevant it is. This page might also be useful but again, I don't know how much.

You could also try asking here.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 3981
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
A quick Google search comes up with an Amazon list, although I have no idea how up to date or relevant it is. This page might also be useful but again, I don't know how much.

You could also try asking here.

Thank you that seems very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any accommodation whereby I could get a double bed? But not applying as a couple...
The Super Single rooms in Wright Robinson have double beds.
Original post by Dannyboy1236
Is there any accommodation whereby I could get a double bed? But not applying as a couple...

Denmark road, very new and modern, all double beds and ensuite!
Original post by Molly648
I have finally managed to get two choices of accommodation I would like, Sheavyn House and Richmond Park. I am not so sure for my final choice though? I would prefer self-catered, with an ensuite and so far I am thinking, Burkhardt House, Opal Gardens or Victoria Hall. I want somewhere that is relatively social, but not too loud or intimidating! Has anyone got any suggestions or advice about these choices? :smile:

Hey, I'm in exactly the same situation with accommodation as you, I've put Richmond and Sheavyn as 1st and 2nd and can't decide on a third out of the three you've written down! Have you decided yet?
I'm edging towards Burkhardt House purely because apparently the flat sizes can be very small in Opal Gardens and Victoria Hall and I'd rather share a flat with more than 2/3 other people!
Original post by elleroses
Denmark road, very new and modern, all double beds and ensuite!

Any other thoughts on Denmark Road, like is it mainly international students or the socialness?
Original post by PearJosh
Any other thoughts on Denmark Road, like is it mainly international students or the socialness?

I can't really find much info about it to be honest because it's only been a hall of residence for less than a year! So very new! I visited it when I was on a taster day the other week and the woman that worked there was telling me it's mainly domestic students. There is a common room etc and you have access to all of whitworth park's facilities like gym and bar. I think your accommodation services are also based in whitworth park because Denmark road is a private complex and the uni lease 300rooms aprox from them. So there will be some older students in the private rooms I presume. Obviously isn't quite like the fallow field social scene but your closer to the city centre and you can still catch a bus up to fallow field! It's right in the centre of the campus so most of the unis buildings are only a short distance away! Hope this helps, I'm still trying to find info about it because I have put it as my first choice and wondering now if I should change it :/
Original post by elleroses
I can't really find much info about it to be honest because it's only been a hall of residence for less than a year! So very new! I visited it when I was on a taster day the other week and the woman that worked there was telling me it's mainly domestic students. There is a common room etc and you have access to all of whitworth park's facilities like gym and bar. I think your accommodation services are also based in whitworth park because Denmark road is a private complex and the uni lease 300rooms aprox from them. So there will be some older students in the private rooms I presume. Obviously isn't quite like the fallow field social scene but your closer to the city centre and you can still catch a bus up to fallow field! It's right in the centre of the campus so most of the unis buildings are only a short distance away! Hope this helps, I'm still trying to find info about it because I have put it as my first choice and wondering now if I should change it :/

It being classed as in the city campus which I've heard is very quiet all that. Then I thought Victoria Park would suit me but the modernness of Denmark Road compared to the others in VP. Did you have a look in the rooms/flat etc. what were your other choices?
How expensive is accommodation in the second year onwards (in private housing) if you want to live close to the uni (max 20-25 min walk)) or in Fallowfield?
Original post by bobbricks
How expensive is accommodation in the second year onwards (in private housing) if you want to live close to the uni (max 20-25 min walk)) or in Fallowfield?

I'm looking for house in Fallowfield for the second year with my flat. They mostly seem to be £70-£80, not including bills
Original post by PearJosh
It being classed as in the city campus which I've heard is very quiet all that. Then I thought Victoria Park would suit me but the modernness of Denmark Road compared to the others in VP. Did you have a look in the rooms/flat etc. what were your other choices?

Yes I looked in the spare room they keep to show people round it was very nice compared to some other accommodation I saw! I have applied for one in each campus because I really couldn't decide! 2nd choice is Victoria hall and 3rd is Richmond park 😊
can I ask what the chances of me getting my accommodation choices are? I'm a gap year applicant so I have my grades and i have an interview on the 20th of Feb, so if I do get an offer I'd be applying late feb. I'm looking to apply to sheavyn, Richmond and Oak House. I read in the OP that getting your choice also depends on how quickly your department makes your offer unconditional which they'd do immediately since I have my grades. Is february really late? It just feels so late seeing that tonnes of people on tsr have already applied :frown: Thanks
Original post by jonzza_81
I'm looking for house in Fallowfield for the second year with my flat. They mostly seem to be £70-£80, not including bills

Hmm,thanks,how much would it be including bills?
Also, does no one get houses or do they get only flats?
Does Richmond park have wifi access in rooms?
Original post by bobbricks
Hmm,thanks,how much would it be including bills?
Also, does no one get houses or do they get only flats?

Not exactly sure, but maybe about £10 a week for bills?
There's 7 of us looking wanting to live together, so we're looking for a house. There's a fair few large groups like ours looking for a house. When we were looking around one house the landlord said 90% of the houses on that particular street were let to students. Others, I think particularly those in smaller groups, get flats.
Reply 3996
So I applied for Sheavyn, Richmond and Woolton for my halls. I'm fairly happy with my 3 but read some reviews elsewhere that Woolton seems a bit dead - anyone been there and could give me their experience of it? (i have read the first page of this thread)

Also seeing as im on a gap year (and essentially have an unconditional offer from the uni as my grade requirements have already been met) and i applied for accomodation relatively early do you think/does anyone know if that puts me in a good/better position for getting my first choice (as i understand all three of my choices are in fairly high demand
Original post by Eggnog21
can I ask what the chances of me getting my accommodation choices are? I'm a gap year applicant so I have my grades and i have an interview on the 20th of Feb, so if I do get an offer I'd be applying late feb. I'm looking to apply to sheavyn, Richmond and Oak House. I read in the OP that getting your choice also depends on how quickly your department makes your offer unconditional which they'd do immediately since I have my grades. Is february really late? It just feels so late seeing that tonnes of people on tsr have already applied :frown: Thanks

highly likely. panic not. I applied for halls in APRIL of my gap year. I applied to sheavyn, richmond and canterbury court, and got sheavyn. chill the beans. enjoy your year. I made the mistake of panicking too much
Original post by Rvd1
So I applied for Sheavyn, Richmond and Woolton for my halls. I'm fairly happy with my 3 but read some reviews elsewhere that Woolton seems a bit dead - anyone been there and could give me their experience of it? (i have read the first page of this thread)

Also seeing as im on a gap year (and essentially have an unconditional offer from the uni as my grade requirements have already been met) and i applied for accomodation relatively early do you think/does anyone know if that puts me in a good/better position for getting my first choice (as i understand all three of my choices are in fairly high demand

one of the first halls I visited in freshers week other than my own was woolton, in which i found myself sat in a bedroom full of 20+ extremely drunk private school boys singing jerusalem in perfect harmony out of massive speakers with the bass turned up. the rest of the corridor was littered with other drunkards like myself and yeah it was fun

and yeah 99% chance you'll get your top choice
Reply 3999
Original post by vikkigos
one of the first halls I visited in freshers week other than my own was woolton, in which i found myself sat in a bedroom full of 20+ extremely drunk private school boys singing jerusalem in perfect harmony out of massive speakers with the bass turned up. the rest of the corridor was littered with other drunkards like myself and yeah it was fun

and yeah 99% chance you'll get your top choice

Haha! Doesnt sound too bad tbh - plus i guess i wont have to worry about it if its highly likely ill get my first choice!

thanks for the response!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending