The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jawdy
OMG, I applied to the same accommodation choices as you, and I put en suite as priority in my application .. but I just found out Im in Whitworth too :frown: I was disappointed for a few minutes but whatever.... its more about the people than the place, and if I like my flatmates I will not transfer :smile:

One concern though; I read that there is single sex areas.. I really hope Im not in one of those (but I doubt they would put us in one unless we want to).

Anyway point is, don't let it get to you, life goes on :smile:

if you're a male in a ground floor flat,it's single sex (safety reasons apparently) otherwise it's all mixed :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by gonnabesomething
Hahaha!! No, I really am not that short! Just a bit below average :wink: I'll look out for the tall guy round OH when you get in!

Erm, nah just apply all for Fallowfield if that's what you want. No point putting a City hall down if you'd rather not be there. At the end of the day, you'll probably end up there or in VP if they can't fit you into FF anyway! So I say just go for it, but hurry, places are drying up quick as time goes on!

I am literally going to walk up to every vertically challenged female and be like "hey gonnabesomthing" and get the most confused stares ever but it will be funnay!

Yeah applied now but applied for Oak House with Basin and then Sheavyn and Richmond. Come to think about it i'd prefer not to be in Richmond due to it being so expensive. Since Oak House isn't oversubscribed i hopefully will get my first choice but do you know if there's any way i can change Richmond to Oak House without Basin?
Original post by Origami Bullets
There seem to be conflicting reports coming from people who have contacted the accommodation office! One person has been told that the only halls in Fallowfield still available (as of yesterday) are Oak and Ashburne. Another has been told (today) that all halls have spaces.

However, en suites tend to be more sought after than shared bathrooms, and Oak House is the only self catered, shared bathroom accommodation in Fallowfield, I'd recommend applying there as an 'insurance' choice if nothing else.

thanks... fallowfields oak house seems my deal anyway

Do many students get the £8 magic weekly bus pass btw? When i came to manc it seemed to be a 10 minute walk to the main bit of the uni through oxford road but im guessing its another 20-30 to get to town
Original post by Alevelsareboring
I am literally going to walk up to every vertically challenged female and be like "hey gonnabesomthing" and get the most confused stares ever but it will be funnay!

Yeah applied now but applied for Oak House with Basin and then Sheavyn and Richmond. Come to think about it i'd prefer not to be in Richmond due to it being so expensive. Since Oak House isn't oversubscribed i hopefully will get my first choice but do you know if there's any way i can change Richmond to Oak House without Basin?

Yes, contact them (email / phone).

Original post by rugbyladosc
thanks... fallowfields oak house seems my deal anyway

Do many students get the £8 magic weekly bus pass btw? When i came to manc it seemed to be a 10 minute walk to the main bit of the uni through oxford road but im guessing its another 20-30 to get to town

It's a 40 minute walk (or thereabouts) from Fallowfield to the main campus. The vast majority of students in Fallowfield buy the £199 annual bus pass, which lasts from September - June and is valid for unlimited bus travel throughout Greater Manchester on any Stagecoach / Magic bus.
Reply 64
I've just been allocated here, it was none of my preferences and i've been put on the ground floor. I really don't want to be on a single sex floor... is there any chance of moving to a different floor if you contact them?
Reply 65
Original post by tillytots
if you're a male in a ground floor flat,it's single sex (safety reasons apparently) otherwise it's all mixed :smile:

My room is GA.01.02.009 .. is that on the ground floor? please say its not !! :frown: :tongue:
Original post by jawdy
My room is GA.01.02.009 .. is that on the ground floor? please say its not !! :frown: :tongue:

Nope, you have escaped! :P

(Garstang flat 2 room 9 if you're wondering!)
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yes, contact them (email / phone).

It's a 40 minute walk (or thereabouts) from Fallowfield to the main campus. The vast majority of students in Fallowfield buy the £199 annual bus pass, which lasts from September - June and is valid for unlimited bus travel throughout Greater Manchester on any Stagecoach / Magic bus.

Ohhh, is it annual? I thought it only lasted for one term? That's great! Bargain :biggrin:
Reply 68
Nope, you have escaped! :P

(Garstang flat 2 room 9 if you're wondering!)

haha one floor away! yaaaayyy! Thanx a lot :biggrin: xx
Reply 69
Hii,

I received my accommodation offer today and got Whitworth Park..even though i applied to Fallowfield for all three of my options (oak house twice and then owens park) and chose the "campus is important" to me option :frown:

Do you think there is any possible way of me changing?! I was planning on giving them a ring tomorrow but it seems like it's pretty impossible to get them to change. I'd really love to be in Oak House.
Reply 70
Original post by JuliusDS92
Phone them in the morning. They do send a few e-mails within a few days but someone at the university will have access to your student ID number and should be able to give it to you immediately over the phone.

I was accepted in Clearning last friday, hadn't gotten en e-mail yesterday morning so I called and got my ID number (the e-mails actually came later in the day).

have you now applied for your preferred accommodation through the online thing?
Reply 71
Original post by rel23
Hii,

I received my accommodation offer today and got Whitworth Park..even though i applied to Fallowfield for all three of my options (oak house twice and then owens park) and chose the "campus is important" to me option :frown:

Do you think there is any possible way of me changing?! I was planning on giving them a ring tomorrow but it seems like it's pretty impossible to get them to change. I'd really love to be in Oak House.

The exact same thing happened to me! Applied for Oak house and other fallowfield ones and ended up in Whitworth park... which house are you in? I'm in Aberdeen house on the ground floor, which is apparently male only and I applied for mixed sex accommodation D:
Reply 72
Hello,
I have just been allocated accommodation at Whitworth Park (which wasn't even any of my choices) and have been allocated to the ground floor, which I heard is male only!
I would really like to be on a mixed gender floor, and I stated this when I applied for accommodation, is there anything that can be done about it now?
If not, then have any of you been on a single sex floor before and how did it work out?
Thanks.
Reply 73
Phone them in the morning. They do send a few e-mails within a few days but someone at the university will have access to your student ID number and should be able to give it to you immediately over the phone.

I was accepted in Clearning last friday, hadn't gotten en e-mail yesterday morning so I called and got my ID number (the e-mails actually came later in the day).

Thank you :smile: yes I'll phone them ASAP in the morning!
You can ask to change, but I doubt it will happen, you might have to wait until October transfer period if it's bad.

I lived in a WP mix flat last year but tons of my guy friends had ground floor flats. General consensus is that it turns out to be fine. It's not like st anselms where you aren't going to see any girls ever! In freshers and through out the year you'll meet plenty of girls and if you date/hang out with them/become friends whatever you'll see them all the time. The guys flats actually become the social hubs, loads of them would have pre drinks and parties, I spent alot of my free time in the ground floor flats hanging out with guys and girls. I think some guys like it more as it gave them opportunities to have video game matches, star wars marathons and other more guyish activities. :P but yeah seriously you will met plenty of girls which you can then share a house with the following year if you choose :smile:
Reply 75
You can ask to change, but I doubt it will happen, you might have to wait until October transfer period if it's bad.

I lived in a WP mix flat last year but tons of my guy friends had ground floor flats. General consensus is that it turns out to be fine. It's not like st anselms where you aren't going to see any girls ever! In freshers and through out the year you'll meet plenty of girls and if you date/hang out with them/become friends whatever you'll see them all the time. The guys flats actually become the social hubs, loads of them would have pre drinks and parties, I spent alot of my free time in the ground floor flats hanging out with guys and girls. I think some guys like it more as it gave them opportunities to have video game matches, star wars marathons and other more guyish activities. :P but yeah seriously you will met plenty of girls which you can then share a house with the following year if you choose :smile:

Haha thanks for your response, very helpful. Upon reflection it's not as bad as it seemed before, I think I was just peeved I hadn't made it into any of my choices haha.
Thanks again :smile:
Original post by tdkr
have you now applied for your preferred accommodation through the online thing?

Applied yesterday a couple of hourse after I got my ID number. Got the offer for accomodation a few hours ago :smile:
Original post by zizi8
Thank you :smile: yes I'll phone them ASAP in the morning!

Don't mention it :smile:
Reply 78
Applied yesterday a couple of hourse after I got my ID number. Got the offer for accomodation a few hours ago :smile:

have you already created a university IT account? :smile:
Reply 79
A silly question, but do we get provided an Ethernet cable?

Also, room number is TD.02.09

I'm feeling uneasy because there's no 3 digit numbers in there :frown:, is it some weird 10 room place?

(This is Owen's park)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending