The Student Room Group

What can I do with a geography degree from Oxford?

After getting 5 A*'s in A-Level maths, physics, geography, economics and English Literature this August, I'll be starting a geography degree at Oxford this year. I used to want to be a geography teacher, but after two weeks' work experience with my geography teacher this July after I finished my exams, I've decided I won't like teaching. What other options are available to me?

Will not having an A-Level in chemistry or biology hurt my employment prospects if I decided to go into a physical geography related area? I think that these jobs will go geology graduates though, so I really don't want want kind of career I want or can have. I'm more interested in human geography than physical geography.

What can I do after I graduate? Thank you :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Having just graduated in human geography, there are a fair few options open to us! Teaching is obviously a popular choice but out of the people I know with jobs, some are doing transport, a few others are working for Big 4 in accountancy and then marketing also. I personally am trying to get into HR or accountancy. I would strongly advise trying to get some work experience in the holidays as this will be incredibly valuable for job applications, think around the people you know and see whether there is anything you are interested in shadowing for a bit so you can see what you might fancy.
Teach people about rivers and ting
Reply 3
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
Having just graduated in human geography, there are a fair few options open to us! Teaching is obviously a popular choice but out of the people I know with jobs, some are doing transport, a few others are working for Big 4 in accountancy and then marketing also. I personally am trying to get into HR or accountancy. I would strongly advise trying to get some work experience in the holidays as this will be incredibly valuable for job applications, think around the people you know and see whether there is anything you are interested in shadowing for a bit so you can see what you might fancy.

Thanks, it's good to know there are a lot of options! I'll look into HR and marketing :smile:

Does anyone else have any ideas? :smile:
Reply 4
Bump.
Reply 5
give me your brain.... 5 A*s in a level?? :O
Reply 6
Accountancy :smile:
Reply 7
Stand outside the airport and give directions to tourists.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending