The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
the openness of choices in the subject is great too.

From the same syllabus, you could choose over 60% of your Pschology AQA B options to be related to clinical psychology/psychiatry/medicine.

For instance, I picked

Approaches to Schizophrenia and Intelligence
Research Methods
Cognition and Amnesia
Early Infant Development
Psychology of Atypical Behaviour ( definitions of atypical behaviour.... eating,anxiety and mood disorders, treatments)
Health Psychoogy (Practitioner-Patient relatioships, Helath and Illness, Lifestyles and Illness, Stress and Illness)
Perspectives in Psychoogy (Freudian and HUmanistic 'therapy')

which are all relavant to my future career in healthcare and all come up in medicine syllabuses at med skool! Great!

Which leaves just -
Social Influence
Psychology as a science
History of Psychology
Debates

- and you dont even need to do all these ones anyway! I just did Memory, Social influence and Gender.

Similarly you can shape the subject to suit you in other ways, with Psychology AQA A too.
Reply 41
Laus
Well i've studied philosophy so that may come in handy?In philosophy and health and social care we have covered skinner, piaget, bowlby and freud at some point.

I'm sure it is much more in depth at degree level. Are u glad u took this course? or would u opt for something else if u could do it all over again?

Yeah, I've heard there are a lot of statistics involved.. I suppose if u read up before hand its not so bad.

Sorry for the slow reply. I don't regret taking a psychology degree, i know it's the right degree for me, i just wish i could avoid the statistics - which can't be done on a degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending