The Student Room Group

How old were your parents when you were born?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by *Corinna*
I know....I keep thinking "doing a PhD is a bad idea....by the time I have the financial stability to have kids I ll be 29-30 and 20 years from now my kids will say I was "old" when I had them" :s

If 30 is too old to have a child, doesn't that say more about society than you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Mum was 21, dad was 23. I'm an only child. :biggrin: (they'd been together since 15 and 17 though) and are still together!
Original post by crc290
If 30 is too old to have a child, doesn't that say more about society than you?

Not really...pregnancies over the age of 30 have many more chances of developing problems, such as diabetes, and also have a higher percentage of children with genetic problems (such as down syndrome). Medically speaking women are at their best to give birth at their early twenties.
If anything, this scares me even more.
23 and 24, which isn't that "young" but to me it seems absolutely mental to have a kid at that age! Even if I did one day want one, it wouldn't be before 30. Your life as a truly independent adult with a job, flat and degree has just begun - having a kid seems like a perfect way to throw away all that freedom, which is what my mum tells me now.
Reply 84
Not really...pregnancies over the age of 30 have many more chances of developing problems, such as diabetes, and also have a higher percentage of children with genetic problems (such as down syndrome). Medically speaking women are at their best to give birth at their early twenties.

That may be so but I hardly think women in their early 30s should be considered too old to have a child. Judging from this poll they're about average.

Original post by crc290
That may be so but I hardly think women in their early 30s should be considered too old to have a child. Judging from this poll they're about average.

Yeah, well, I didn't say I ll be too old, but people here seem to consider after 25 being "old" so I just said I imagine my children doing the same...I still would like to have my first one before I'm 29 though, so I can have 2 before I'm 31-2. I just want to be a relatively young mother, without being too young (and sacrificing my life and my dreams)
And also, as a woman, I do find it very stressful that my most reproductive years are my current ones...it's not cool...I feel like my eggs will soon be stale and B category...like tescos value eggs! :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
Yeah, well, I didn't say I ll be too old, but people here seem to consider after 25 being "old" so I just said I imagine my children doing the same...I still would like to have my first one before I'm 29 though, so I can have 2 before I'm 31-2. I just want to be a relatively young mother, without being too young (and sacrificing my life and my dreams)
And also, as a woman, I do find it very stressful that my most reproductive years are my current ones...it's not cool...I feel like my eggs will soon be stale and B category...like tescos value eggs! :frown:

As a man, I'm not sure how I should feel...

Don't knock Tesco value! Surely that's all you can afford as a poor student :P

Original post by crc290
As a man, I'm not sure how I should feel...

Don't knock Tesco value! Surely that's all you can afford as a poor student :P

Haha sure tescos value is great but who wouldn't rather have organic free range eggs?

For men there is absolutely no difference really...if anything, I think the ideal age to be a father is 30-35 as men generally mature later than women.
Reply 88
Haha sure tescos value is great but who wouldn't rather have organic free range eggs?

For men there is absolutely no difference really...if anything, I think the ideal age to be a father is 30-35 as men generally mature later than women.

That just makes me think of a weird M&S advert with little children roaming about on grassy hillsides... I've been awake too long :P

Woo, go me!

Reply 89
Dad 26 mom 21

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9003
Mom: 35
Dad: 30
Reply 91
Mum was 23 and Dad was 28. I was the first.
Reply 92
32 and 27. :yy:
Reply 93
32(Mom) and 40(Dad)

Have a Half sister 12 years older than me from my Moms side. Big Gap!
Both were 27 and I'm their second child, they were 24 when they had my brother
Reply 95
My mum was 25 and my dad was 26. I was the second/first non-stillborn and I think that was when they were 23 and 24. They then had one of my sisters when they were 27 and 28 and my youngest sister who was unplanned at 29 and 30.
Reply 96
Mum was 26, Dad was 25. If I was born a month later they would both be 26.
Mum was 19, dad was 27

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S
Reply 98
My Mummy was 27 and My Daddy was 30:dancing2:
I am the first-born:ahee:

Although of course, the risk increase infinitesimally every year that a woman gets older, fertility only starts to really decrease after the age of 35. The same goes for the likelihood of various foetal abnormalities. Women who get pregnant at 30 are at no serious disadvantage biologically compared to women who are pregnant in their early 20s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending