The Student Room Group

Share your Remark Experiences

With priority remarks starting to come through this year, it would be great if people could share how they have gotten on. Even if you have a story to tell about a remark from last year, feel free to post it.

Please try and include details such as your original mark, the adjusted mark and the exam board you were dealing with.

See our A level remark information thread for details if you are debating whether to get a remark!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't know if a thread like this already exists but I thought it would be interesting to see how past re-marks have gone for people; how often the mark goes up, stays the same or (unfortunately!) goes down.

Last summer I had my AQA English Lit B paper re-marked, and it stayed exactly he same.
At the same time I had my Edexcel Physics unit 2 paper re-marked and it went down by 9 UMS marks! And still had to pay for both :laugh:

I'm currently having my Edexcel Biology unit 5 paper re-marked, but it seems I don't exactly have a great history for it...

So what are your guys' experiences with re-marking? Good, bad or ugly?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
GCSE. RE paper remarked went from A to an A*.
AS Level. Physics paper remarked went from C to a B.
Reply 3
Atm im having 2 priority remarks to try to meet my offer of AAB at uni, i need an extra 7 and 11 UMS in maths (69) and economics (61) respectively. Now im in limbo now until the marks come back next week (hopefully) as clearing unis want clear grades not possible grades at this stage. Last year i had a free remark by the college in critical thinking and went up 10 marks, this is the only hope i can draw on for my uni chances! Reading your experience is worrying though haha, good luck though :smile:
Reply 4
AQA Spanish paper went from an E to a C and overall grade from a C to a B.
I think they just forgot to read the second half of my essay...

I would generally advise only remarking if the mark looks really weird and out of sync with the others. If you were expecting an A and got a high B, there probably isn't a marking issue. If you were expecting a B and got an E, then it's probably worth having it checked.
Reply 5
I had my maths paper remarked as I was one mark away from an A* and then it went down another mark where as a boy in my class was also one mark away but he got te A*. Gutted
Reply 6
Got a C (68) in philosophy and an A (87) in ethics, philosophy teacher wasn't happy so she got paper remark and I got an extra 9 raw marks!
I had my first AS psychology paper remarked because I got a D. Did no revision for the mock and got an A and been consistently getting A's on homework. My teacher decided something was wrong so she sent it off. Went up a grand total of 4. Ended up with a C.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 8
Original post by jbarfie
Got a C (68) in philosophy and an A (87) in ethics, philosophy teacher wasn't happy so she got paper remark and I got an extra 9 raw marks!

Wow that's incredible! What grade did that bring you up to?

A girl in my AS year had her politics paper re-marked and went from a D to a B. Personally I find that so awful how an examiner can be so wrong!
Reply 9
Original post by britchick
Wow that's incredible! What grade did that bring you up to?

A girl in my AS year had her politics paper re-marked and went from a D to a B. Personally I find that so awful how an examiner can be so wrong!

Well I had 190/200 ums from AS so I had come out with an A anyway, but my teacher wasn't happy- ended up being 2 marks off an A*.

I agree that's terrible! It's so subjective its unreal!
Reply 10
I hate the whole idea of remarks you should not have to pay up to get the correct grade it saddens me, imagine all those people who don't remark. Oh well utopia is just a madman's dream.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Akbar2k7
I hate the whole idea of remarks you should not have to pay up to get the correct grade it saddens me oh well utopia is just a dream.

If it changes enough to warrant an alteration of your grade, you don't have to pay anyway. Although I do dislike how it can go up or down by 1 raw mark (possibly not enough to warrant an alteration of a grade, but proof that it has been marked wrongly) and yet you still have to pay.
Reply 12
Awaiting remarks on OCR physics G485 and chemistry F325, submitted on results day, will reply on the outcome.My experience was not too bad I went to the exams office there wasn't a queue asked for a priority remark and give my phone number for contact so a fairly standard experience I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Awaiting photocopies of 3 OCR papers with a view to remarks if they seem iffy.. (Phys, Chem, Bio long papers)
People complain about bankers, but surely exam boards are the real bad guys.:tongue:

£50+ for a priority remark from AQA is crazy, if I didn't have a part time job, I'd be in trouble.
Reply 15
See our A level remark information thread for details if you are debating whether to get a remark!
It's not me, but my friend just went on 33UMS (no typo) on Econ4 (Edexcel) and another went up by 28UMS on AQA Econ, not sure which unit.
Reply 17
Original post by Cutmeloose
It's not me, but my friend just went on 33UMS (no typo) on Econ4 (Edexcel) and another went up by 28UMS on AQA Econ, not sure which unit.

Wow! This will certainly please a few of my friends who are remarking Economics. :yes:
Reply 18
Original post by Groat
Wow! This will certainly please a few of my friends who are remarking Economics. :yes:

I'm contemplating whether to remark my economics AQA. If I go down 15 marks it's a b grade but if I go up 5 it's an A*.
Reply 19
Original post by . .
I'm contemplating whether to remark my economics AQA. If I go down 15 marks it's a b grade but if I go up 5 it's an A*.

I'd say that's worth it.

Latest