The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Subjective:h:ild bede is the best! It has the largest college library, 2 gyms, a gym room, 4 tennis courts, 2 squash courts, 1 bastketball court, etc. It is right beside the river. The food at Caedmon Hall is the best that I've ever tasted in this uni! Takes 25-30 mins to go the the Science Site though.
Objective: Grey is better for you. Most Physics lectures will take place at the Science Site, which is right beside grey(10 mins walk). The rooms are large, with lots of drawers. Food is ok. Not as much facilities though.

Both are quite near to the town.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
volive
Science Site, which is right beside grey(10 mins walk). The rooms are large, with lots of drawers. Food is ok. Not as much facilities though.

Although Grey is the closest, its only by a few seconds to the rest of the hill, not much of a difference really. All colleges seem close when you have to trudge in from Gilesgate every day.
volive
Subjective:h:ild bede is the best! It has the largest college library, 2 gyms, a gym room, 4 tennis courts, 2 squash courts, 1 bastketball court, etc. It is right beside the river. The food at Caedmon Hall is the best that I've ever tasted in this uni! Takes 25-30 mins to go the the Science Site though.
Objective: Grey is better for you. Most Physics lectures will take place at the Science Site, which is right beside grey(10 mins walk). The rooms are large, with lots of drawers. Food is ok. Not as much facilities though.

Mary's is closer, I think.
I've applied to Grey and I want to do French. Is it a hell of a long way from wherever Languages is?
*Han*
I've applied to Grey and I want to do French. Is it a hell of a long way from wherever Languages is?

Depends where your lectures get placed. The majority of the lectures are held in the science site.
Reply 45
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Depends where your lectures get placed. The majority of the lectures are held in the science site.

Erm....languages lectures are all down at Elvet Riverside aren't they? Unless they're making use of the fancy new lecture theatre complex....but I can't see why they would? :confused:
Reply 46
Well, I'm doing History and I have 1 lecture on the science site, 1 on palace green and one at Elvet Riverside, with a Politics module also on the Science site. My flatmate's doing a French module or 2 and she's based at Elvet for that. I think when it comes to the arts they just put you wherever they have a room available that's big enough.
dobbs
Erm....languages lectures are all down at Elvet Riverside aren't they? Unless they're making use of the fancy new lecture theatre complex....but I can't see why they would? :confused:

:ditto:

language lectures are most likely at elvet. Which for all you non-durhamites is in the centre of town.
Reply 48
dobbs

Yeah all languages lectures are still down at Elvet Riverside. The lecturers would go on strike if they had to lecture up at the Science Site! :p:
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Ah, but Aidans does officially have the best college food (nationally), and has won the award for it 2 years running.

Aidan's food isn't THAT good. My boyfriend always came over on a Saturday night when I was living out for a curry because it was 'chef's special' or what he termed as 'donkey burgers'.

It is however, one million times better than Hatfield's standard of catering!
Itchynscratchy
:ditto:

language lectures are most likely at elvet. Which for all you non-durhamites is in the centre of town.

Is that mega far from Grey?
*Han*
Is that mega far from Grey?

If you're a slow walker, its maybe 15 mins
Reply 52
hmmm.... i forgot about this thread lol

i applyed for collingwood tho :smile:
Itchynscratchy
If you're a slow walker, its maybe 15 mins

Ah not far then :biggrin: I'm a fast walker :cool:
Reply 54
Hi people,

I was wondering if anyone had opinions on colleges in durham (not queen's campus) as i don't know which to choose.

i'm looking for a college with a good musical reputation and a good choir / choral society especially, but not with a particularly good sports reputation necessarily. i probably would not like to share a room and i don't need an ensuite, but it would be good to have internet access. i really don't like concrete and perhaps one of the older colleges would be good but i don't like University College or Van Mildert.

sorry this is probably a silly question to ask...i don't expect there to be replies...but there you are haha

thanks!!
Reply 55
http://www.push.co.uk/Uni_Profile.aspx?id=2e95e50e-8db8-421e-919c-c7ae00d124b9&type=profile

that's the alternative guide to durham university, i love it! it has info about the colleges as well if you go to "General" and scroll down to the colleges.

:smile:
Castle :rolleyes:

The most beautiful bit of any uni anywhere...

Makes me wish i still lived in Durham.
Reply 57
yeah but it's oversubscribed and i heard most castle students live across the road...
Reply 58
Annu33
http://www.push.co.uk/Uni_Profile.aspx?id=2e95e50e-8db8-421e-919c-c7ae00d124b9&type=profile

that's the alternative guide to durham university, i love it! it has info about the colleges as well if you go to "General" and scroll down to the colleges.

:smile:

thankss :smile: you don't happen to go to queen's belfast do you? i would be interested in it but i heard they all go home at the weekend
They do, and they spend all their time in the castle!

Duno really...John snow campus is nice...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending